Another landmark for Lew

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Brendan McGuire

Re: Another landmark for Lew

Post by Brendan McGuire »

We few, we happy few. We band of brothers, for he who reads his comics today shall be my brother.

ROY ROGERS

Post by ROY ROGERS »

AMEN :cheers:
THE NOLAN SISTERS ARE MINE

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Chill out people,it's only comics.No need to painfully cross-Analise every nuance of a sentence,even when said in fun.It's actually starting to get tiresome.We're here to talk about comics,share a few scans and have a bit of a laugh. It's not a convent,and if some people feel the need to impose their own morals,well,..I'm sure there are plenty of boring forums elsewhere for them to waffle on and on and on....

The Cap is back! :grouphug:
Missed me? :shhh:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Captain Storm wrote: Missed me? :shhh:
I wasn't aware we were aiming at you!

Welcome back to the 21st century btw Cap. Next time try to avoid those golden bullets, axes, combine harvesters, etc! :wink:

- Phil Rushton

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Phil,as you know only a weapon of pure gold can end my life of centuries :lol: Good to be back. Great to see a lot more scans appearing on posts too. If only for reference purposes. We can talk about comics,but without visual aids,and particularly for folks who haven't seen certain titles before,it can become a bit empty.Love the work I-Spy is doing,and the new Buzz web site is a step in the right direction.

The Cap. :up:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Captain Storm wrote:We're here to talk about comics,share a few scans and have a bit of a laugh.
My philosophy exactly, especially the bit of a laugh comment.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Captain Storm wrote:It's not a convent,and if some people feel the need to impose their own morals,well,..I'm sure there are plenty of boring forums elsewhere for them to waffle on and on and on....
Eh? I didn't see anyone trying to impose their own morals on this thread. From what I saw it was just a misunderstanding of how insulting "gobshite" was. Pointing out the dictionary definition of the word isn't an act of morality, just clarification. :)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Lew,yeah,no worries.Just some threads can get a bit long winded and have practically nothing to do with comics.Maybe we should have a special "moan" section for this.Y'know,if somebody has something to say about certain things that are unrelated to comics,it can be dumped there..sort of a sin bin for comics fans. :idea: And if they feel the desire to have a look,they can,and if they don't they needn't bother.Now,back to the comics....

The Cap

p.s.Know that this post was written with humour in mind in case anybody starts getting tetchy.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Captain Storm wrote:p.s.Know that this post was written with humour in mind
That's absolutely as it should be. I mean, how can you have a website about comics without any humour present? It's a contradiction in terms. I do agree with the Cap that it's quite right and proper that we should focus more on comics and less on unrelated matters, and I'm sure I speak for us all when I say that we can rely on him to direct us back to the straight and narrow if, in future, we transgress and cross that boundary between the related and the unrelated. I wonder where exactly that is, though.
P.S. This humorous post should not be interpreted as being in any way tetchy.

Raven

Post by Raven »

phoenix4ever wrote: I do agree with the Cap that it's quite right and proper that we should focus more on comics and less on unrelated matters, and I'm sure I speak for us all when I say that we can rely on him to direct us back to the straight and narrow if, in future, we transgress and cross that boundary between the related and the unrelated.

I tend to find that this panic about going off topic can be one of the weirdest, most frustrating things about forums. I'm never quite sure why it sets off such alarm bells with internetty types. You shouldn't plan a conversation. We're adults aren't we, and don't need to be kept in hand like a class of schoolchildren? Like the class of school children in, say, Monster Fun's Creature Teacher. (Just slipped in that last sentence to avoid an 'off topic' accusation!)

Things *may* veer slightly from time to time, but if it's interesting, why not? Memories of buying Whizzer and Chips on a weekend morning recently led to some very interesting and entertaining memories from ISPYSHHHGUY about Saturday morning cinema clubs. Similarly recent discussions about adverts from the army have been interesting. It'll usually lead straight back to the matter in hand anyway.

Let's not be one of those anal forums where people will panic at the odd little bit of relating comics to the wider world from time to time.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Raven,far from being anal,I was saying that at times,we waffle on about utter nonsense,not nostalgic memories,but rather somebody taking offense at some innocent remark,where it is endlessly debated for ever.That's all.I love nothing better than taking trips down memory lane.In fact,most of my childhood memories are tied to comics and by thinking of a comic and the time it was bought,evokes some pleasant memories.And I'm not above taking criticism myself.In fact,sometimes it's justified.And by golly,do I deserve it.But I also appreciate my sense of humour doesn't always translate well to the page.In other words,we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves.We all love,collect and pontificate over comics.And that is the reason why we all congregate here.Peace.

The Cap is in the house :soapbox:

Raven

Post by Raven »

Captain Storm wrote:Raven,far from being anal,I was saying that at times,we waffle on about utter nonsense,not nostalgic memories,but rather somebody taking offense at some innocent remark,where it is endlessly debated for ever.That's all.:

Well quite a few forums do frustratingly go down that insular, obsessive route and end up eating themselves, but this has always seemed a very friendly, sane and non-self indulgent place to me. The only time I recall it happening here was with the gobshitegate scandal, but maybe I've missed others.

As long as we don't avoid digressing from time to time, if the chat leads somewhere interesting!

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Agreed!

The Cap. :grouphug:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Captain Storm wrote:we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves
Or on others. I suppose I must try to rein myself in. Peace, Cap.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Peace,Phoenix.And no,people,we won't be dating any time soon :lol:

The Cap. :cheers: