Another landmark for Lew

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Another landmark for Lew

Post by Kashgar »

Congrats Lew on reaching the 2000th mark in your posts. A feat made even more remarkable by the fact that you are one of the most erudite and comicwise gobshites we have in our happy little band.

Peter Gray

Re: Another landmark for Lew

Post by Peter Gray »

Whoopee!! :)

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

Knockout!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

WIZARD!

Raven

Post by Raven »

Cor!!

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Cheeky weekly!
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have been reading Lew's comments for some considerable time now and I am frankly quite puzzled as to when, where or how exactly he became a 'gobshite'. Am I missing something?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Bunty! :) (...What do you mean I haven't quite got the hang of this game??? )

I think the 'Gobshite' comment was meant affectionately btw Phoenix - especially as Kashgar included himself in that description!

- Phil Rushton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:Bunty! :) (...What do you mean I haven't quite got the hang of this game??? )

I think the 'Gobshite' comment was meant affectionately btw Phoenix - especially as Kashgar included himself in that description!

- Phil Rushton
I'll go along with that one. We all are ready to spout our opinions and preferences on this forum, so it is nice to see Lew being ahead of the rest. His talent is undeniable and his comic knowledge is second to none. You know, I could go right off this Lew Stringer bloke! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

OK Phil and Col, I can let this go. I understand affection and appreciation of course, and Lew has, over a long period of time, contributed an enormous amount of information and perceptive comment for the benefit of us all. I too congratulate him, but I doubt whether he will have entirely welcomed being called a gobshite. Furthermore, if you are correct, Phil, that Kashgar is including himself, it stands to reason that he is also including me and you, as we are all members of 'our happy little band'. I am not a gobshite and I'm sure you are not. Perhaps when Kashgar reflects on these matters he will realise that on this rare occasion he has contributed a post without sufficient forethought. The first sentence is fine but the second makes little sense, even without taking into account the offending and offensive word. That's me out, I've said my piece.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I stand rebuked if phoenix4ever thought I was being other than tongue in cheek with my 'gobshite' remark to Lew ( who I hold in the highest regard not only for his posts here but also for those on his own blog) or indeed to any other comicsuk contributors who might have felt slighted by being included in the ranks of the 'GS' brigade. Apologies to all.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:I stand rebuked if phoenix4ever thought I was being other than tongue in cheek with my 'gobshite' remark to Lew ( who I hold in the highest regard not only for his posts here but also for those on his own blog) or indeed to any other comicsuk contributors who might have felt slighted by being included in the ranks of the 'GS' brigade. Apologies to all.
No offense taken Ray. I was just a bit bemused. I can't say I've ever heard it used in fun before.

gobshite (plural gobshites)

1. (British, slang, offensive) One who engages in nonsensical chatter or unwanted conversation.

2. (British, slang, offensive) A person of very poor judgment and unpleasant character.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Not a phrase we use down here in London. Mahf and Trousers is the one for us. Or we go into Tommy Steele mode (thumbs in our braces) "Oh What a Mahf what a north and south, blimey what a mahf he'd got..." Good old Tommy was born just down the road from here and my brother once stood behind him in the queue in the Pie and Mash shop.
I quite often think to my self, "strewth what a hobsons" when someone is a bit loud "Hobson's Choice - Voice" Yes i think in rhyming slang - nowt wrong with that. Incidentally I pulled out a Christmas Buster from late 80s (I think) when I was at the, now legendary, storage unit last Sunday and Lew's strip was in it. Was it Tom Thug? Excuse my failing memory. In full colour too! Bound for ebay.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Lew Stringer wrote: gobshite (plural gobshites)
1. (British, slang, offensive) One who engages in nonsensical chatter or unwanted conversation.
Sure that isn't the definition for 'Forum Poster' :wink:
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

chrissmillie wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote: gobshite (plural gobshites)
Sure that isn't the definition for 'Forum Poster' :wink:
I may be ploughing my own furrow here but the word gobshite has a nice hearty, self deprecating ring to it which actually appeals to me. I'm also not averse to being accused, by the great unwashed (the public at large), of indulging in nonsensical chatter or what would be deemed, to them, unwanted conversation. I've posted 1250 times on this site and I'm sure beyond the stout hearted members of our happy band what I've written is a load of b*****ks. But such is the way of the world and I'll happily defend my brand of gobshitery against theirs any day of the week!