A 1960's comic countdown.

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: A 1960's comic countdown.

Post by Lew Stringer »

phoenix4ever wrote:There is no point in my doubling up on your scan, Phil, which achieved effectively the same thing as the second and third scans that I wanted to upload earlier. I'm still being prevented from posting the first scan. Given that the system accepted your scan, could somebody explain to me please what embargo I've come up against.
Perhaps too many large res images have been uploaded here in too short a time? Some of the pics have been HUGE. 72dpi is big enough for websites.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

My thanks to Phil and Lew for their replies.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Now while those two old codgers waffle on about their inability to fully grasp the wonders of the modern age back to the topic in hand!
On recounting I've realised that I've listed 26 titles from the 1960's rather than the original 25 I promised so please imagine this is a countdown from No 26 (Champion) rather than 25. And, that being the case, we are now at No 22.

22) Solo (18/2/67-16/9/67) (City Magazines) (31 issues)
The first of a number of titles in this countdown devoted to characters from the moving media (TV/cinema). In this instance an uneasy melange of Disney properties and incongruous TV shows eg The Man from U.N.C.L.E, Sgt Bilko. Inc TV Tornado.

21) Joe 90 (aka Gerry Anderson's Joe 90 Top Secret) (18/1/69-6/9/69) (City Magazines) (34 issues)
Ol' clean cut specky four-eyes was not the stuff from which great TV or comic strip heroes were made. Inc TV 21.

20) Giggle (29/4/67-13/1/68) (Fleetway) (38 issues)
Great title, rather poor comic. A failed attempt by the publishers to establish a comic awash with foreign reprints. Inc Buster.

19) Ranger (18/9/65-18/6/66) (Fleetway) (40 issues)
Promoted as 'The National Boy's Magazine' maybe it doesn't belong in this listing at all but, either way, it proved too worthy and indeed too expensive a property for its intended readership. Inc Look & Learn.

18) Poppet (5/10/63-11/7/64) (Fleetway) (41 issues)
Fleetway's attempt to cash in on the success of their already popular girl's title June with the added gimmick of having a single strip (Surprise Corner) taking up nearly half of the paper every week. Inc June.

More anon.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:Now while those two old codgers waffle on about their inability to fully grasp the wonders of the modern age back to the topic in hand!
On recounting I've realised that I've listed 26 titles from the 1960's rather than the original 25 I promised
I'm sure you meant to say three (3), Kashgar. I may be one (1) old codger but, amazing as it may seem, I can still count up to twenty five (25).

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

No Derek, it was only two codgers at the time I was writing the post as Lew's comment was added while I was doing so. But 'Touche!' re the 25/26 cock-up.
We so called 'experts', what are we like?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:No Derek, it was only two codgers at the time I was writing the post as Lew's comment was added while I was doing so.
Eh? My comment appeared over 10 hours before yours. Perhaps you're suffering from old codgerness yourself. :wink:

Lew

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Eh? My comment appeared over 10 hours before yours. Perhaps you're suffering from old codgerness yourself. :wink:
Just to clarify, Lew. My three (3) was not a reference to your good self. Equally, I wasn't casting any aspersions on Kashgar's knowledge, breadth of vision, ability to present an argument, readiness to apologise etc., as I have the highest regard for him in these areas. However, I have to admit that despite the countless (under the circumstances perhaps as well) phone calls, emails and letters that we have exchanged over the last twenty (20) years, I never, at any point, realised just what a slow writer he was.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Ranger was a great mag (first place where Trigan Empire came from natch). I wonder how well it sold in Scotland? I bet it was just flying out of the Parkhead newsagents :mrgreen:
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Kashgar wrote:No Derek, it was only two codgers at the time I was writing the post as Lew's comment was added while I was doing so.
Eh? My comment appeared over 10 hours before yours. Perhaps you're suffering from old codgerness yourself. :wink:

Lew
Lew, your comment did not appear until literally moments before I posted mine, so while I'm quite happy to own up to codgerness when it is due in this instance I must claim immunity from prosecution. No doubt the result of a technical glitch that some whippersnappering wiseacre will be able to explain to a closet Luddite like myself. :wink:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Kashgar wrote: 18) Poppet (5/10/63-11/7/64) (Fleetway) (41 issues)
Fleetway's attempt to cash in on the success of their already popular girl's title June with the added gimmick of having a single strip (Surprise Corner) taking up nearly half of the paper every week. Inc June.
In my opinion Poppet was a forgotten gem. 'Surprise Corner' was a brave attempt to extend the scope of weekly comics stories, with excellent art by (I think) Colin Merritt. I also really liked the female highwayman Black Velvet - incidentally, can you confirm my suspicion that her stories were actually adapted from old Dick Turpin strips by Hugh McNeill, with some new art by Geoff Campion?

- Phil Rushton

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:

Lew
Lew, your comment did not appear until literally moments before I posted mine, so while I'm quite happy to own up to codgerness when it is due in this instance I must claim immunity from prosecution. No doubt the result of a technical glitch that some whippersnappering wiseacre will be able to explain to a closet Luddite like myself. :wink:
Strange, as it definitely appeared on my computer on the evening I posted it (10.53pm) as I remember seeing it before I logged off. It was phoenix4ever's reply that appeared seconds before your comment (9.32am the next day, followed by your comment at 9.33am).

Anyway, considering I've had artwork lost in cyberspace before now, computer glitches don't surprise me in the least.

Lew

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:Just to clarify 'The Girls Weekly' ran from 1912 to 1922 (not 1919 as I originally stated) a total of 492 issues before, like the Blue Bird, it was merged with My Weekly.
As my records of early DC Thomson publications have temporarily gone walkabout, could you please check for me, Kashgar, whether the last issue of The Girl's Weekly was dated October 21st 1922 or not. The Blue Bird debuted the following week. I would just like to get my head round the sequence of events, and that first issue is silent on the matter.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Yes Phil the Black Velvet strips were based on earlier Dick Turpin stuff and Colin Merritt did draw Surprise Corner.
An sorry Derek but while it would have been nice if Blue Bird had immediately replaced Girls's Weekly it didn't. The last issue of Girl's Weekly was dated 4th May 1922.
Now back to the 1960's countdown.

17) Terrific (15/4/67-3/2/68) (Odhams) (43 issues)
The last and least of what by then was the Power Comics quintet and virtually entirely devoted to reprints of mostly sub (Mariner) standard Marvel fare from across the pond. Inc Fantastic.

16) Jag (4/5/68-29/3/69) (Fleetway) (48 issues)
In its early issues a beautifully produced tabloid comic that sadly proved that aesthetics and economics are often uneasy bedfellows in the world of comic production. Inc Tiger.

15) Wonder Weekly (5/7/68-27/6/69) (Esso) (52 issues)
Sold through garages rather than newsagents this was a ground-breaking attempt to produce a sponsored comic that was published every week. Attractive to look at but lacking in reader-grabbing substance.

14) Hurricane (29/2/64-8/5/65) (Fleetway) (63 issues)
Like Champion (at No 26 in this countdown) another, even earlier, attempt to launch a companion paper to Valiant. Both titles proving, even though this one lasted considerably longer, that the British comics market wouldn't support four general interest adventure strip titles for boys (after Lion. Tiger and Valiant) from this particular publisher.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

14) Hurricane. Inc Tiger.

13) T V Land (1/10/60-13/1/62) (T V Publications) (68 issues)
A junior off-shoot of the already popular T V Comic featuring a host of 'Watch with Mother' type favourites. Inc T V Comic.

12) Yogi Bears Own Weekly (27/10/62-28/4/64) ( City Magazines) (75 issues)
The smarter than average bear from Jellystone Park and a 'pickernick basket' full of mostly lesser lights from the Hanna-Barbera animation studios. Inc Huckleberry Hound Weekly.

11) Pow (21/1/67-7/9/68) (Odhams) (86 issues)
The third of Odhams Power titles and the last of them to even flirt with the idea of being a traditional British comic. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes banal and frequently too much Marvel. Inc Smash.

10) T V Tornado (14/1/67-14/9/68) (City Magazines) (88 issues)
A strangely unsatisfying title that seemed to offer more than it ever delivered. From Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea to the Green Hornet and Tarzan it was uneven in both content and presentation. Inc T V 21.

More anon.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:More anon.
Just a gentle reminder Kashgar, in case you have genuinely forgotten, that you still need to complete this countdown, from 9 to 1.