Top 10 Soccer Superheroes

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

chrissmillie

Top 10 Soccer Superheroes

Post by chrissmillie »

Maybe a bit :offtopic2: but I write for a few football magazines/webzines and I was suitably enthused about Porto's Hulk to come up with the Top 10 Soccer Superheroes list. I tried to promote Roy of the Rovers a bit more but it got edited out :( Anyway, results are here:
http://www.dailysoccerblog.net/10-super ... r-players/
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

STARBOY

Re: Top 10 Soccer Superheroes

Post by STARBOY »

Excellent stuff (Im a big footy and comic fan) had a good laugh at some of those - Re the Kilmarnock Player Invincible , he's had a few interviews on Scottish TV and hates that pronounciation (a fantastic name if you ask me though) of his name, seems its "Invince-a-beely" - Racking my brains to think of some others but can't well done!

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

Offhand I can think of 'The Beast' aka Julio Baptista of Arsenal, Real Madrid and France but also a big blue and furry creature from, most notably, the X-Men.
STARSCAPE

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

As a Millwall fan i'd nominate Terry Hurlock as Wolverine and Harry Cripps as Ben Grimm (but not quite The Thing). Edgar Davids as Cyclops?

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

OK had a talk to some mates and a look on the internert and can add the following (super villians): David Unsworth = Rhino , Rene Higuita (Columbian goalie I think?) The Scorpion - wasn't Eusdabio the Black Panther as well? oh and the "Famous Five" ok not a comic as such but it'll do (I'm struggling here) for both the Hibernian midfield in the 50s and Spurs in the 70s :D Liked the Edgar Davids comment/hero name, good one :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

For no. 8:

"Famed for his agility and lightning fast reflexes, Peter Bonetti earned the nickname of the Cat ... The Cat was a minor villain in Spider-Man comics but, best known to British readers is probably Billy the Cat (and Katie) from DC Thomson’s Beano comic."

you could have used the even better matching Peter the Cat from Score 'n' Roar!

Okay, I suppose he wasn't literally super-powered ... but he *did* have the "incredible agility" that allowed him to leap like a cat, don't you know.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Or you could have given Peter Bonetti a sex change" and associated him with the 70s Marvel super heroine the Cat!!!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

STARBOY wrote:Or you could have given Peter Bonetti a sex change" and associated him with the 70s Marvel super heroine the Cat!!!
And let's not forget Bunty's own Cat, Marie Bonnet, whose personal campaign to sabotage and humiliate the Germans in Occupied France in WW2 started in 1986. Her story eventually made it to Lucky Charm.
catchthecat.jpg

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

On a slightly different tack, the real life footballer who sounds like someone from out of a footballing strip is the former Wycombe and Walsall player Jermaine McSporran who sadly never was a team mate of Hotshot Hamish.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

I remember first hearing about him still with his nickname of Jocky. I had assumed that was his real first name. Jocky McSporran indeed.

There was of course the ex-Hibs forward Paul Power. Although I have a friend with the envious name of Dr Power - now there's a superhero name if ever there was one!
STARSCAPE