Some ebay sales figures for first issues of UK comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

geoff42

Re: Some ebay sales figures for first issues of UK comics

Post by geoff42 »

So, what was the final sale? Don't leave us in limbo... please.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Here is what I found on eBay's completed listings.

Nos. 30, 22 , 47, 77, 78, 79, 80 and 81 sold for £311
Nos. 29, 42, 45, 48, 50, 51, 55, 56, 60, 74 and 75 sold for £296
No/ 44 sold for £300

As my mum would say, more money than sense :roll:

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

silly as it sounds, if one has more money than sense, then the world is the limit. You can't compete with them. Then, on the other hand, if I were in their shoes I would do exactly the same to get what I want. The amount of money I've bid on a certain item would draw many a frown... the same person who frowns would have spent around £50 on a night out and not even accrued a scrap of sexual gratification... would have woken up the next day with a scrap of uneaten burger on his bedroom floor... who's the idiot? It's all abstract, of course.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

geoff42 wrote:the same person who frowns would have spent around £50 on a night out and not even accrued a scrap of sexual gratification.
Aren't you being more than a bit arrogant and dismissive, Geoff, in assuming that if a man takes a woman out for the evening, the more he spends on her the more scraps of sexual gratification he is therefore entitled to?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
geoff42 wrote:the same person who frowns would have spent around £50 on a night out and not even accrued a scrap of sexual gratification.
Aren't you being more than a bit arrogant and dismissive, Geoff, in assuming that if a man takes a woman out for the evening, the more he spends on her the more scraps of sexual gratification he is therefore entitled to?
Not really, the more someone spends on a potential partner, there is a higher expectation of a pleasureable outcome. But no one can ever consider themselves as being "entitled to" any form of outcome apart from the time spent together.

This idea of entitlement within relationships is a damaging one as many partners believe that they are "entitled to" do whatever they want with their partner at any time. And this is the sort of defence that can be seen in many cases where relationships go very wrong.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Not really, the more someone spends on a potential partner, there is a higher expectation of a pleasureable outcome.
That, in essence, is exactly what Geoff is saying.
colcool007 wrote:But no one can ever consider themselves as being "entitled to" any form of outcome apart from the time spent together.
Geoff seems to think that £50 spent should entitle men to some scraps of sexual gratification otherwise the £50 will have been wasted. I wonder how much more entitlement he would expect for £100. And I can't see any substantial difference between your higher expectation and Geoff's frowner's expectation/assumption.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

You seem to miss my point. An expectation of a pleasurable outcome can range from a longer time spent in the company of the individual up to and including any additional form of gratification on the part of both parties. You brought in the idea that if you spent money on a partner, there is an implied entitlement.

And there is a world of difference between an expectation and an entitlement.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

Cor blimey and I thought this was about Comics, getting a bit too deep :coat: I will have to have a good read of a beano

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

There is a method of spending 50 quid and upwards, and getting a guaranteed return on your financial outlay, if sexual satisfaction is your prime motive...

------so I hear

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:There is a method of spending 50 quid and upwards, and getting a guaranteed return on your financial outlay, if sexual satisfaction is your prime motive...

------so I hear
Is it a Near Mint Giant Size Man-Thing?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I was thinking more of a financial transaction between consenting adults, Japandroid, but your suggestion is certainly another option to be considered by those so inclined.

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I was thinking more of a financial transaction between consenting adults, Japandroid, but your suggestion is certainly another option to be considered by those so inclined.
I can think of no transaction more financial or consenting than that of the customer and comic dealer.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:You seem to miss my point. An expectation of a pleasurable outcome can range from a longer time spent in the company of the individual up to and including any additional form of gratification on the part of both parties.
I'm not missing any point, Colin, I'm not that dim. If I might just refresh your memory, you said the more someone spends on a potential partner, there is a higher expectation of a pleasurable outcome. Both you and Geoff are indicating that regardless of what the pleasurable outcomes might be, they are ultimately determined by how much the man spends on the woman. I just fundamentally disagree that male/female relationships develop on that basis, and personally I know of none.
colcool007 wrote:You brought in the idea that if you spent money on a partner, there is an implied entitlement.
No I didn't. Geoff did.

I will not be replying to any further comments on this topic. I am too busy, and anyway, as BG implies, it is now going off topic.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

well, I did take a lady friend out on Saturday night (and it cost me more than double £50) and I didn't gain a scrap of sexual gratification, but I had a very good evening, nevertheless. Perhaps, Phoenix is right - I was being too dismissive in that regard. Let's just say, a young man can go out into town and spend more than £50 and gain nothing but a hang over whereas another man can spend the same amount of money on a comic. The young man with a hang over will still shake his head at the latter without realizing who has actually gained. Is that a better way of defining what I was trying to convey? :|

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I once spent 4 quid on a taxi back to a lady's house after she asked me for a slow dance in a nightclub----best 4 quid I ever spent.

The taxi would cost a lot more than 4 quid today, however.