What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Went to the ephemera fair yesterday which was combined with a paperback/pulp/comic fair. Picked up the following:

Wham! nos. 3, 89, 107, 108, 111, 114, 121, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 129, 136, 141, 155.

Smash! 4, 5, 8, 10, 30, 57

Story Time no. 3

Dickory Dock no. 1 - two copies both with free gift glove puppet.

Dandy Summer Special 1968

UK Mad nos. 13 and 24

Dixie Dugan no. 1 UK edition from 1950

War and Attack no. 1 from 1964. Charlton comic with all four stories drawn and inked by Wally Wood

Playbox n0. 775 dated 23 December 1939 Christmas issue.

Marvel Treasury Edition 15 Conan the Barbarian.

£122 the lot. Very happy. Wham! 108 had no middle pages but I was given an £18 discount so can't complain.
I thought you were getting rid of comics, not adding to the horde! :lol: Some nice picks in there btw.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Other than another batch of Commandos and a lovely pile of Bible Story comics by Fleetway (1-24) courtesy of one of our illustrious members here, it's been the 80s all the way!

Rather than perms, tight footballer's shorts, disaster movies and Duran Duran, I've picked up:

Gary Lineker's Hot Shot! #1 wfg - Fleetway - 1988
Flintstones #1 wfg - Marvel - 1988
Incredible Hulk Presents #1 wfg - Marvel - 1989
Worzel Gummidge #1 wfg - Marvel - 1981
Alf #1 wfg - Marvel - 1988
The Keypers #1 wfg - IPC - 1987

abacus

Post by abacus »

After some thought decided to cycle the 3/4 miles to the charity shop this morning.Visits of late have not yielded much with me looking through the same old comics.
They had added some more stock today , mostly 80's stuff but enough to awaken the brain cells.
After putting aside to be continued ones I was left with about a dozen I liked.
I budget £5 a week for comics but like to spend less so bought 4 at a £1 each.
The thought occurred to me the other day that I didn't have many actual Superman comics so today bought .
DC Superman 1984
DC Superman 1985 ( Great cover Warrior of Mars with Superman sitting on a dinosaur type animal)
DC Jonah Hex 1982 (The penultimate episode to Ship of Doom that I already have)
Marvel Daredevil 1985 (cowboy theme one)
One's I reluctantly left include Sgt.Rock and Impact comics Jaguar annual.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Isn't it great when you get something you don't expect (in a nice way I mean).

I received my ebay purchase of the complete run of Sports for Boys (1-28), printed by Amalgamated Press 1920/21. In 2 bound volumes, they are in lovely condition, and as I was looking through them, I suddenly realised that the free gift art plate was still present in issue no1, and also in no2 and all in all there were 5 art plates from a total of 5 issued throughout the series. Pleased as punch !!
Nothing was mentioned in the ebay description, which was why it was such a surprise.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:Isn't it great when you get something you don't expect (in a nice way I mean).

I received my ebay purchase of the complete run of Sports for Boys (1-28), printed by Amalgamated Press 1920/21. In 2 bound volumes, they are in lovely condition, and as I was looking through them, I suddenly realised that the free gift art plate was still present in issue no1, and also in no2 and all in all there were 5 art plates from a total of 5 issued throughout the series. Pleased as punch !!
Nothing was mentioned in the ebay description, which was why it was such a surprise.
Well done! I would have bid more for them if I'd known the plates were still within!

matrix

Post by matrix »

Hawkeye wrote:Isn't it great when you get something you don't expect (in a nice way I mean).

I had the same happen to me a couple of years ago when I purchased five Playhour comics from 1957. When they arrived inside each comic was a free gift, a cardboard theatre plus all of the characters from the following weeks in perfect condition. Nothing mentioned in the ad either, only cost about twelve pounds.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Not a comic but I did get sent a book from The Mighty One Steve MacManus. His uncle Kenneth McAlpine wrote about his wartime exploits and Steve has kindly gifted his copy from his Uncle to me. And it's a great read to boot!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:

Well done! I would have bid more for them if I'd known the plates were still within!
I know you would.

blaing

Post by blaing »

it's Beano Thursday once again, and so I bought this weeks' issue (No. 3899)

On eBay, I have bought the Beezer Summer Special, 1996.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

After a couple of months concentrating on selling, I went on a bit of a spending spree over the weekend with a massive haaul. It will take me a while to get through these but I'm really really happy with what I've managed to pick up this weekend:

. Secret Agent Picture Library - Top Secret - Pearson - 1961
. Merry Go Round 1989 wfg VFN
· Mickey Mouse & Friends 1989 1 wfg - Egmont
· Ovide #1 wfg 1989
· Sooty #1 - 1989 wfg
· Wisdom of the Gnomes #1 - wfg - Celebrity
· Macabre Stories #1 - Spencer - 1960
· Bullet - DCT : 115, 117, 118 & 127 - Only 4 more to go!
. 2000AD #3 with free gift
· Police Comic - #1 - Archer - 1953
· Western Outlaws and Sheriffs #1 - Streamline - 1951
· Spectacular Features #1 - 1951
· Fighting Indians #1 - ME - 1950
· Western True Crime #1- Streamline - 1950
· Jumbo #1 - Locker - 1951
· Samson and Delilah #1 - Streamline - 1950
· Long John Silver - #1 - L Miller - 1956
· Mark Conway #1 - L Miller - 1959
· Prize Western - NN (#1) - Streamline - 1951
· Commander Battle & the Atomic Sub #1 - Streamline - 1955 - Great cover!
· Big Shot #1 or 2? - NN - Streamline - 1949
. Seven #4-16 - Gresham - 1971 - completing the set for me
. Once Upon a Time #1 - 1973
. Galaxy Rangers #1 - Marvel - 1988
. Tarzan of the Apes #1 - T&P - 1971
. Top Soccer #1 wfg - 1979
. Blakes 7 #1 wfg - Marvel - 1981
. Dragon's Claws #1 - Marvel - 1988
. Countdown #1 - Polystyle - 1971
. Wizard #1 - DCT - 1970
. Wow! #1 wfg - IPC - 1982
. Range Riders #1 - WDL - 1954
. Sad Sack #1 - T&P - 1973
. Mad Magazine #1 - Not really a comic but I was reading these as a very young boy in the 70s so had to have it.

Probably my biggest haul of British First Issues ever (+ some extras), so very pleased with them all and can't wait to get better acquainted with them!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

It's nice to have a nice mixture to go through. As my previous message says I got a nice lot of stuff at the ephemera fair last Sunday. Didn't bother with the comic fair yesterday.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:It's nice to have a nice mixture to go through. As my previous message says I got a nice lot of stuff at the ephemera fair last Sunday. Didn't bother with the comic fair yesterday.
I notice you picked up a couple of UK Mads as well. I was jealous of your Smash and Wham acquisitions as I still need loads in both sets. There's always next week/month/year!

blaing

Post by blaing »

Thursday morning once again, so picked up this weeks' Beano (No. 3900)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Took delivery of all 33 issues of School Fun yesterday which I got from eBay for just over £10 and with the free gifts for issues 1 & 2. One problem I have is identifying some of the artists. Could we not have an A to Z of British comic artists on this site with a list of the strips they drew? Members could add to the list over time just as they do in this thread.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I managed to find a really good copy of the Valiant Book of Mystery and Magic on Saturday and I have filled another 10 gaps in my Commando collection so I feel that I have done well this weekend.