What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

Final eBay purchase of 2017 with the win today of a bundle of Toppers (including two from 1990)

I should have this by mid January.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

One of my last purchases of the year.
Cheeky Dummy.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

[quote="paw broon"] I'm more jealous of your Electroman, seeing as how I'm a superhero nut.

That was the one that made me laugh out loud most with the hero's alter image being a street newspaper vendor wearing a flat cap. But when he sticks his finger in a live light socket.....Love it!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Another Red Dagger, this time #4 Sniper. I also picked up 14 issues of Jag including issues #2 and #3 to go with the free gifts I already have. I'll add these to my #1 and just another 33 to go for the set of 48!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to Covent Garden antique fair this morning and picked up a free booklet The Thrill Book of Escapes from Adventure 831 dated 2/10/1937. Yesterday at ephemera fair I picked up two fifties Blighty pin-up and cartoon annuals. Pages of gag cartoons and some nice ladies.

Blake Edmonds

Post by Blake Edmonds »

Purchased several The best of Roy of the Rovers monthly on Amazon, never seen these before so keen to check them out.

dishes

Post by dishes »

Blake Edmonds wrote:Purchased several The best of Roy of the Rovers monthly on Amazon, never seen these before so keen to check them out.
There were two phases of that. The early issues reprinted a whole serial, or a story arc of a longer serial. This would take up the whole issue unless there was space left over which would be filled usually by a short story or two reprinted from annuals. (The trouble for IPC I expect was that some issues with characters like Billy's Boots (still familiar to younger readers from the weekly comic) must have sold much better than others)

Then it was revamped in tandem with the weekly Roy of the Rovers. The weekly became more of a magazine and shed some strips, with new "Hamish and Mouse" "Billy's Boots" and "Goalkeeper" strips being transferred to the monthly. Also it started reprinting two colour "Roy of the Rovers" (the character) strips per issue in chronological order. The remainder was an old serialized story as before, except now the story appeared over more than one issue as there was less space.

Actually you could say there was a third phase where the new strips were either dropped or appeared extremely irregularly, and two or more old serials ran concurrently, in addition to the colour Roy strips.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

Blake Edmonds

Post by Blake Edmonds »

I think the ones I'm getting are 1990ish, with Billy's Boots, etc.. at least I hope they are.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

17 more Commando comics via the Facebook group. 11 to go for the set!

For those of a certain age group I also bought the complete 120 episode set of the Batman TV series from the 60s with Adam West for my 4 Nieces and nephews who are all under 6 as they love superheroes but most of the current films are too dark for that age group. That should keep them busy!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

You could also get them the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

and the incredible hulk.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up the first year of Scorcher, a full set of Misty, first 30 issues of Tammy, first 50 issues of Battle, nearly the full run of Thunder (I actually only wanted #2 and which one was missing....? you guessed it :headbash: - so if anyone is after any particular issues let me know), and something I’ve been after for years - the first Victor Summer Special.

Also I’ve been having fun picking up the various comics that go with the free gifts I bought a couple weeks ago.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Oh and a full set of Titan inc poster in #1 - dunno why I bought these, they were just cheap and I remembered them from when I was little and my brother never let me read them - I’m going to wrap them up and give him the set for Christmas.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Picked up the first year of Scorcher, a full set of Misty, first 30 issues of Tammy, first 50 issues of Battle, nearly the full run of Thunder (I actually only wanted #2 and which one was missing....? you guessed it :headbash: - so if anyone is after any particular issues let me know), and something I’ve been after for years - the first Victor Summer Special.

Also I’ve been having fun picking up the various comics that go with the free gifts I bought a couple weeks ago.
That's a great haul. You won't be short of things to read over Christmas! I need a few of the Thunders.......well actually all 21 issues after #1!

max1202

Post by max1202 »

Scorcher 8)