What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I love Hannah-Barbera.
I'm sure there's no 'h' on the end of Hanna, Steve. My favourite was Mr (I hate those meeces to pieces) Jinks, whose language was hip for the time. That was so long ago, though. I was still at school for heaven's sake.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

You're right about there being no H at the end of Hanna, Derek. I personally loved Top Cat and the action adventure series Jonny Quest.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

We Londoners don't pronounce the aitch at the front so put it at the end-that's my excuse. I always noticed in those shows that, during a chase through the house, not only was the house about a mile long but had the same table every few yards. I liked Yogi and Huckleberry Hound. But also Secret Squirrel as I was mad about secret agents. I have quite a few HB shows on vhs as well as Deputy Dawg.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As British TV was black and white at the time I was really surprised to discover that Huckleberry Hound was actually blue when his weekly comic came out. Beyond that, however, I was never a big fan of Huckleberry Hound Weekly which always seemed poor value for money compared to Buster and Beezer, etc. Also I assumed that most of the strips were American reprints - but since then I've begun to wonder if this was really the case. Certainly the later Space Ghost strips had never appeared in the US, though the artwork didn't look very British to me. I've even considered the possibility that some of that material could have been produced in America specifically for a European readership - rather like some Marvel UK titles and Tarzan comics in the 1970s.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I have quite a few HB shows on vhs as well as Deputy Dawg.
I have 24 episodes of Pixie and Dixie and Mr Jinx on 3 VHS tapes. I've just dug them out, and with them I found another official VHS tape containing 2 full-length episodes of 77 Sunset Strip, which I think I bought several years ago at an ephemera fair in some London hotel or other. I would also have bought VHS tapes or DVDs of Hawaiian Eye if I had seen any. It ran between 1959 and 1963. At the time I quite fancied Connie Stevens, who, as Cricket Blake in the series, used to sing in the Shell bar of the Village Hotel. Connie did have a career as a recording artist but I don't know how long it lasted. I have just one single by her, Apollo backed by Why Do I Cry For Joey?.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I also have a Connie Stevens single (or ep) on which she sings Slow Boat to China in a sexy Monroe type voice.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I much prefer Slow Boat to China by Emile Ford and The Checkmates.
I bought the recent manga collection of Sherlock: The Blind Banker.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Picked up ten comics for 50p each in Deptford flea market. Oddly most are from same period before and after ipc strike: Smash dated 6/13/20 Feb. 1971, Buster 6/20 Feb. 1971, Thunder 23/30 Jan. and 13 Feb. 1971. Plus Tiger 30 Jan. 1971 and Hotspur 2/11/68.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:I much prefer Slow Boat to China by Emile Ford and The Checkmates.
My favourite by Emile Ford was What Do You Wanna Make Those Eyes At Me For?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I also got the Beano 100 postcards boxed set for £3 from a charity shop. Brand new and shrink wrapped.

What do you want to make those eyes at me for replaced What do you want by Adam Faith at number 1. The latter being the shortest number 1 ever in terms of playing time.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Picked up a baker's dozen of Commandos, two Starblazers, two Football PSMs, two Air Ace Holiday Specials, a Debbie Picture Library, the 1969 Diana annual, the 1943 Wizard Book for Boys and the 1976 Doctor Who and the Daleks omnibus today. The only downside to today was that the omnibus was missing the dustjacket and the seller has lots more annuals that I want to go back and buy next pay day!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Just bought 90 Bullet comics off eBay.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

CapNoOne

Post by CapNoOne »

Today I bought the first issue of "Days of hate" a new Image comics, the 3rd of "Doomsday clock" (AWESOME!), Royal city, book, one, by Lemire and Pride of Baghdad by Vaughan.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I keep meaning to pick up doomsday clock, looks like a good read.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:What do you want to make those eyes at me for? replaced What do you want? by Adam Faith at number 1.
Not according to my late, and greatly missed, friend Colin Morgan's chef d'oeuvre FIRST HITS, which he compiled with Brian Henson, and had published by Boxtree Limited in 1989. Adam Faith's What Do You Want? was in the charts for 16 weeks, as opposed to 22 weeks for Emile Ford's What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For?, but the highest position it reached was number 3. Both songs entered the charts in November 1959.