What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

CapNoOne wrote:Today I bought the first issue of "Days of hate" a new Image comics, the 3rd of "Doomsday clock" (AWESOME!), Royal city, book, one, by Lemire and Pride of Baghdad by Vaughan.
Pride of Baghdad is one of those books I keep meaning to pick up but I rarely see it anywhere. Have you read it yet and what do you think of it?

Forgot to say that I picked up three annuals yesterday, Hotspur 1987 and the two "Legend of" A3 sized annuals about Desperate Dan and Lord Snooty yesterday. The good thing is that the seller has a few more Hotspur annuals which I can pick up to fill gaps in my collection.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

DATE TITLE ARTIST WKS AT NO.1
23/01/1959 THE DAYS THE RAINS CAME JANE MORGAN 1
30/01/1959 ONE NIGHT/I GOT STUNG ELVIS PRESLEY 3
20/02/1959 AS I LOVE YOU SHIRLEY BASSEY 4
20/03/1959 SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES PLATTERS 1
27/03/1959 SIDE SADDLE RUSS CONWAY 4
24/04/1959 IT DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE BUDDY HOLLY 3
15/05/1959 A FOOL SUCH AS I/I NEED YOUR LOVE TONIGHT ELVIS PRESLEY 5
19/06/1959 ROULETTE RUSS CONWAY 2
03/07/1959 DREAM LOVER BOBBY DARIN 4
31/07/1959 LIVING DOLL CLIFF RICHARD & THE SHADOWS 6
11/09/1959 ONLY SIXTEEN CRAIG DOUGLAS 4
09/10/1959 HERE COMES SUMMER JERRY KELLER 1
16/10/1959 MACK THE KNIFE BOBBY DARIN 2
30/10/1959 TRAVELLIN' LIGHT CLIFF RICHARD & THE SHADOWS 5
04/12/1959 WHAT DO YOU WANT ADAM FAITH 3
18/12/1959 WHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE THOSE EYES AT ME FOR EMILE FORD & THE CHECKMATES 6

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:04/12/1959 WHAT DO YOU WANT ADAM FAITH 3 18/12/1959 WHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE THOSE EYES AT ME FOR EMILE FORD & THE CHECKMATES 6
There is clearly a disparity between your information and mine, Steve. Even the months don't match. However, you don't say where your information comes from, nor how official it may have seemed at the time. You should always quote your sources. :) Back to you.

Edit:- I think I may have spotted the reason for the anomaly. In the Forties and Fifties the pop charts were based on the sales of sheet music, not on the sales of the actual records. It is obvious from the front cover of FIRST HITS that the lists that Colin and Brian compiled are based on the sales of sheet music between 1946 and 1959. Perhaps I should have noticed that earlier!! :roll: What was the source of your information, Steve?
Last edited by Phoenix on 29 Jan 2018, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

While still trying to check the dates, I can say that "Eyes" was originally the "B"side of the single. I think the record company flipped it just before release.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i can only remember the shakin' steven's version of what do you wanna make those eyes at me for.i liked it as a kid :lol:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just dug out my collection of 78s, which I have neither seen nor played since Adam was a lad, or the late sixties to put it another way. The list is in alphabetical order of artists.

Midnight Special / When The Sun Goes Down - Lonnie Donegan
Bury My Body / Diggin' My Potatoes - Lonnie Donegan
Bye Bye Love / I Wonder If I Care As Much - Everly Brothers
Wake Up Little Susie / Maybe Tomorrow - Everly Brothers
Claudette / All I Have To Do Is Dream - Everly Brothers
Should We Tell Him / This Little Girl Of Mine - Everly Brothers
Big Man / Stop Baby - The Four Preps
No Chemise Please / Girl Of My Dreams - Gerry Granahan
Rock Around The Clock / Thirteen Women - Bill Haley and The Comets
Rave On / Take Your Time - Buddy Holly
Hula Love / Devil Woman - Buddy Knox
Great Balls Of Fire / Mean Woman Blues - Jerry Lee Lewis
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / It'll Be Me - Jerry Lee Lewis
Only You / The Great Pretender - The Platters
Paralyzed / When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again - Elvis Presley
I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone / How Do You Think I Feel - Elvis Presley
Don't / I Beg Of You - Elvis Presley
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck / Don'cha Think It's Time - Elvis Presley
Jailhouse Rock / Treat Me Nice - Elvis Presley
Oh Julie / Say Yeah - Sammy Salvo
Angelus / When You Lose The One You Love - David Whitfield

I moved on in a small way to 45s, EPs, and LPs before leaving school, but when I got the first tranche of my grant for my first year at Birmingham University my record purchases increased in frequency and volume given that there were at least two excellent record shops, one in New Street, the other in Corporation Street. By that time I was into country music, Johnny Cash, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Johnny Horton, George Jones etcetera. Curiously I also loved the music of Ella Fitzgerald. I still do. She sang in concert in Birmingham during my first or second year there. I had to do without a few pints of Ansells and M&B to afford the ticket but it was well worth it. She was awesome. I bought two LPs of her work at the time, which I still listen to occasionally.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I don't know what my source was but I know from memory Faith's single was a chart topper not least because I have it on a number ones compilation CD. I am also old enough to remember hearing it on the radio. The only 78 I have is of a speech by the king. Our present Queen's pot and pan. George the something. Pardon my history.

Whenever I see sheet music I imagine buying it from an Italian or Spaniard. "Is this sheet music?" "No eet is quite good" :)

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote: Whenever I see sheet music I imagine buying it from an Italian or Spaniard. "Is this sheet music?" "No eet is quite good" :)
:lol: :lol:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

stevezodiac wrote:I don't know what my source was but I know from memory Faith's single was a chart topper not least because I have it on a number ones compilation CD. I am also old enough to remember hearing it on the radio. The only 78 I have is of a speech by the king. Our present Queen's pot and pan. George the something. Pardon my history.

Whenever I see sheet music I imagine buying it from an Italian or Spaniard. "Is this sheet music?" "No eet is quite good" :)
Could always just go to the official chart site: http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/si ... 1204/7501/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thanks for that. Deptford flea market has hundreds of sixties singles and as I flick through them I feel obliged to sing a few bars of each song. Modern chart music seems to be made in a laboratory and and with no heart or soul. The artists seem only concerned with making money.

Back to acquisitions, on Saturday I also picked up a booklet: Roger Moore Tells you how to be a Detective. It is cut out from the pages of a comic. I would guess it was Boys World. Can anyone confirm?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote: Back to acquisitions, on Saturday I also picked up a booklet: Roger Moore Tells you how to be a Detective. It is cut out from the pages of a comic. I would guess it was Boys World. Can anyone confirm?
It was in Eagle Vol.15 nos.8 and 9 in February 1964. Not sure if it ran to any more issues but definitely those two to start with. My copies don't have it, and are the usual 20 numbered pages, so it was actually an extra pull out section of 4 Eagle-sized pages that you folded in half to make an 8 page section. I'm presuming the finished booklet has 16 pages?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

24 pages although this copy has eight pages missing. Only paid 50p for it so "mustn't grumble" (Lazy Sunday). It has a full colour comic strip as the centre spread. Art looks Harry Lindfield-ish.

Thanks, Lew.

Who knows, my missing eight pages may be the selfsame ones missing from one of your Eagles. Wouldn't that be a coincidence. Or my two sections could be from your actual copies.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:24 pages although this copy has eight pages missing. Only paid 50p for it so "mustn't grumble" (Lazy Sunday). It has a full colour comic strip as the centre spread. Art looks Harry Lindfield-ish.

Thanks, Lew.

Who knows, my missing eight pages may be the selfsame ones missing from one of your Eagles. Wouldn't that be a coincidence. Or my two sections could be from your actual copies.

As it's 24 pages it must have appeared in three issues then; 8, 9, and 10, with each section making up 8 pages. I guess it can be classed as a proper free gift (as opposed to a pull out/cut out) because those pages were in addition to the usual 20 page Eagle.

Wham! had a similar free gift later that year, but it focused on pop music.

I bought a full run of 1964 Eagles on eBay last year. Can't remember who from now. Very nice condition though.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I still have my Shoot booklet from the early seventies, cut from the pages of the football magazine and with a card cover.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Valiant Annual 1967 - Only 1974 to go and I have the lot.
15 Wham comics in 2 lots to fill the many gaps I still have
Tops #1 - DCT - 1981
Modern Wonder #1 with free gift (booklet Marvels of Today) - Odhams - 1937
37 issues of Amazing Stories of Suspense - Alan Class
A joblot of football related free gifts which will be fun to go through when they arrive.