What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

Preordered last night Ken Reid's World Wide Weirdies volume 1. I should get this in time for Christmas. (From the Book Depository)

(Update; also bought in the last couple of days, Hunt Emerson's Calculus Cat, and Lew Stringer 's Combat Colin No. 4,

SID

Post by SID »

Just received Buster dated 25/07/1964. What a great comic.

I always thought it had originally been a halfway house between the likes of Lion/Valiant and Whoopee!/Whizzer & Chips. Instead, it was an adventure comic like Lion and Valiant.

What a shame it changed.

PS Must say, I really like the new-look forum. It gets a :up: from me.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

blaing

Post by blaing »

Bought today, four issues of the Beezer from 1967/1968

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

An extra copy of Commando 5255, Beano 4000 and 12 below the line issues of Combat Picture Library. Some are so early they have the GMS mastheads instead of the Micron masthead.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

abacus

Post by abacus »

One of my favourite comic genres is sword and sorcery where unlike other super hero comics fighting monsters fits in well with the storylines.Found plenty of comic favourites at the charity shop I visited today.I got-----
1975 Conan the Barbarian / 1973 Kull the Destroyer issues 10,11and 12 / Arak son of thunder 1982 and 1984 issues /Starfire 2 issues 1977 /John Carter Warlord of Mars 1977 / Sub-Mariner 1980/
1983 Blackhawk 2 issues /1987 Mister Miracle./ 1980 and 1982 World's Finest comics. And the newer comic 2012 The Creeper just because it had a 3d cover.

The comics were a £1 each but I knew the lady at the till sometimes gave a discount for some reason only known to herself so I took 12 comics to the counter hoping she would let me have them for £10, when she said £6 I asked if she minded if I got 4 more And therefore I got 16 comics for £8 thats 50p each.
I only visit the charity shop about once a month but they seem to have regular stock given them.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote: I got 16 comics for £8 thats 50p each.
Wow! I wish I could think as clearly as that.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Phoenix wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 19:31
colcool007 wrote: I got 16 comics for £8 thats 50p each.
Wow! I wish I could think as clearly as that.
Like the wit ,but you see I'm not called Abacus for nothing :D

abacus

Post by abacus »

Found some nice items at today's car boot sale, paid £1 for Tornado annual and £1 for Film Fun annual but my favourite buy was Kiddy Fun album which cost £3 .I couldn't get the dealer to lower the price but for me as a collector it was one of those must have items.
( see pic.)
( No books were harmed creating this picture. :) )

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I've just managed to purchase a complete set of Once Upon a Time by IPC from 1969-1972. I vaguely remember having this comic back at that time and I picked up a few last year and they definitely brought back memories so hopefully this set will be enjoyed as much as they originally were by this little boy back in the day!

abacus

Post by abacus »

Bought 2 books from today's car boot sale and wasn't sure whether I had already got the Denis Gifford book but since the dealer was only asking 50p each I bought it anyway and after checking at home I hadn't in fact got it.I like the best of Eagle book because it contains complete stories instead of the usual snippets of artwork.
Paid a £1 for Power Girl 1978 comic but slightly disappointed it's a to be continued comic and not a complete story but with it being sealed in a plastic bag I was unable to check it .
Leave you with the picture of today's buy's and hopefully after I've read them with a little bit of luck and a fair wind I will know a little more about comic history. :)

blaing

Post by blaing »

Over the last couple of weeks, I have bought a number of issues if the Topper from the 1950s (including a very early issue from 1953.)

I have completed my selection by purchasing a November 1959 issue. I will get that by October.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Earlier in the week I ordered 13 issues of BUNTY (eleven from 1958 : two from 1960) from 30th Century Comics. They arrived this morning, suitably bagged and protected as always. I'm very happy with them. I now only have 114 issues missing from the full run, very few of them being contiguous. I rang Will to let him know his parcel had arrived safely. The issue numbers are 6 : 7 : 8 : 11 : 12 : 21 : 23 : 24 : 30 : 38 : 41 : 112 : 116. I'll debag them later, and slot them in to my collection. I need to get some lunch and then drive over to the Costa in Tescos, where I wait for Lois to walk up from school. I'll take 'Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban' with me, as I'm rereading the entire series.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On Tuesday I went to Orpington High Street. A charity shop had a pile of 80s Busters for 99p each. I bought the Christmas 1983 and 1984 issues and the 1984 Buster and Monster Fun Holiday Special. I would have bought them all but thought 99p each was overpriced but, upon reflection and considering the latest Beano is about £2, I think now I should have got them.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 14:30
Earlier in the week I ordered 13 issues of BUNTY (eleven from 1958 : two from 1960) from 30th Century Comics. They arrived this morning, suitably bagged and protected as always. I'm very happy with them. I now only have 114 issues missing from the full run, very few of them being contiguous. I rang Will to let him know his parcel had arrived safely. The issue numbers are 6 : 7 : 8 : 11 : 12 : 21 : 23 : 24 : 30 : 38 : 41 : 112 : 116. I'll debag them later, and slot them in to my collection. I need to get some lunch and then drive over to the Costa in Tescos, where I wait for Lois to walk up from school. I'll take 'Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban' with me, as I'm rereading the entire series.
'I now only have 114 issues missing from the full run' sounds like you're getting the thrill of the hunt in your nostrils, Derek. Next you'll be telling yourself I'll just try to get that number into double figures! Congratulations on your purchases.

abacus

Post by abacus »

stevezodiac wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 16:33
On Tuesday I went to Orpington High Street. A charity shop had a pile of 80s Busters for 99p each. I bought the Christmas 1983 and 1984 issues and the 1984 Buster and Monster Fun Holiday Special. I would have bought them all but thought 99p each was overpriced but, upon reflection and considering the latest Beano is about £2, I think now I should have got them.
I had a similar experience at last sundays car boot sale, one woman had a lot of Victor comics at a £1 each ,maybe that's a fair price but I didn't buy any because I had seen them in the recent past sold for two or three for a £1,besides which I already have about 30 examples of this comic.