What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Shiner wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 21:10
As an infant my first comic collection, consisting only of Pippin and Playland, was thrown away by my mother. I’ve always meant to go back and reacquire those very early 1970s issues. Now the first few dozen are due to roll in, so I can relive the delights of The Moonbeans, The Herbs and Mary Mungo & Midge all over again.
I’m Dill the dog, I’m a dog named Dill! I used to love that programme. Parsley the Lion I remember too

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 16:57
Shiner wrote:
As an infant my first comic collection, consisting only of Pippin and Playland, was thrown away by my mother. I’ve always meant to go back and reacquire those very early 1970s issues. Now the first few dozen are due to roll in, so I can relive the delights of The Moonbeans, The Herbs and Mary Mungo & Midge all over again.
I’m Dill the dog, I’m a dog named Dill! I used to love that programme. Parsley the Lion I remember too
You were not the only one to enjoy The Herbs.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

colcool007 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:50
Adam Eterno wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 16:57
Shiner wrote:
You were not the only one to enjoy The Herbs.
That makes me feel real old as I remember Twizzle and the song from Torchy the battery boy all classic TV an innocent time that’s seems to be long gone

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The first nursery programme I remember is the Pingwings which may have been Oliver Postgate's first TV series. Also enjoyed the Telegoons at Saturday tea time. Which also reminds me of waiting at the newsagents around 6pm on Saturdays for the classified Evening News for my dad. I have a soft spot for DC Thomson nursery comics with Baby Crockett by Bill Ritchie.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Telegoons appeared in TV Comic. Lots of images at https://www.google.com/search?q=tv+comi ... 8&bih=1024

abacus

Post by abacus »

I spent a fiver at todays carboot sale. I bought Tv21 annual £2.50,Fantastic annual £2 and paid 50p for a Tv mirror annual which unfortunately had some full image portraits cut out which I didn't notice at the time of buying , but I am happy with my two main buys

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

The new Battle Of Britain Special from Rebellion. Rat Pack as nasty as ever, balanced by a short story that left me a bit misty-eyed, and I've still lots to read. In the shops later this week. 100 pages.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 22:16
The new Battle Of Britain Special from Rebellion. Rat Pack as nasty as ever, balanced by a short story that left me a bit misty-eyed, and I've still lots to read. In the shops later this week. 100 pages.
I’m looking forward to mine arriving.

SID

Post by SID »

Adam Eterno wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 00:19
davidandrewsimpson wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 22:16
I’m looking forward to mine arriving.
Got my copy this week. Good read with my favourite being Rat Pack. That Major Taggart's a bit of a rogue. :wink:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Got myself two Dandy comics from 1946, issues 319 & 332.

ImageImage
Well, hello there! :wave:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I did fairly well this week. I bought a big chunk of Victors circa 1967 to 1973 (384 to 639) and most of them took me from brown to off-white. I have made a nice wee profit on selling those which have been replaced and to top it all off, I found I had bought 6 intact Summer Specials when I was going through the comics with the seller!

abacus

Post by abacus »

Spent more than I normally do for a book this morning in a charity shop and that was £6 for the Amalgamated press Billy the Kid book.
I liked the look of the book and would have preferred to pay 2 or 3 pounds but what the heck.

I think they must have had a stricter approach to viruses in olden times judging by the Alexandre Dumas book THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK. :)

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

abacus wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 12:51
Spent more than I normally do for a book this morning in a charity shop and that was £6 for the Amalgamated press Billy the Kid book.
I liked the look of the book and would have preferred to pay 2 or 3 pounds but what the heck.

I think they must have had a stricter approach to viruses in olden times judging by the Alexandre Dumas book THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK. :)
Hey, well done Abacus! Some of those Western comics/annuals had such evocative covers. Used to have in my collection a few years ago before I downsized some Gold-key Bonanza comics & Annuals. Loved the covers on those. :)
Well, hello there! :wave:

SID

Post by SID »

I recently bought two years' worth of Bullets from eBay and the first of the shipments arrived today. :up:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 18:10
I recently bought two years' worth of Bullets from eBay and the first of the shipments arrived today. :up:
That's a good haul. Hope they weren't too expensive.