What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Into The Abyss

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Into The Abyss »

Stevendoig wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 21:32
Agreed, what a nice cover. :)
Thanks Stevendoig. Yeah, it reminiscent of that classic Christmas Beano No.1484 cover from 1970. 😎
Well, hello there! :wave:

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Chalky wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 21:54
Into The Abyss wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 16:47
Chalky wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 21:32
Today I recieved the following Buster comics in the post:

17th June 1961
29th July 1961 (replacement copy as my existing copy had a piece missing from the back cover)

29th Oct 1966

18th Feb 1967
3rd June 1967

5th April 1975
Great finds Chalky. :)
Thanks 'Into The Abyss'! 1960's Busters seem to be getting scarce so it was nice to find a few early ones. I now have over 500 Buster comics from between the years 1960-1981 after 5 years of collecting, having previously sold my entire Buster collection of about 600 comics in 2012
500 issues. Very nice. Getting a handsome collection of Buster comics there Chalky. 😎👍

And I know exactly what you mean when it comes to parting with collections only later to regret that decision. We forget how many hours it took to find that elusive issue. I find it so difficult find those same comics with the advent of the internet because they are in plain sight where before ticked away in some dusty cardboard box.

The frustrating thing is. Where before they were fairly straight forward to obtain, in some cases either being thrown out or given away for pennies, now find as they become scarcer & scarcer are often sold at a premium, although you do find the odd diamond in the rough, even today.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 23:06
Chalky wrote:
Into The Abyss wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 16:47

Great finds Chalky. :)
Thanks 'Into The Abyss'! 1960's Busters seem to be getting scarce so it was nice to find a few early ones. I now have over 500 Buster comics from between the years 1960-1981 after 5 years of collecting, having previously sold my entire Buster collection of about 600 comics in 2012
500 issues. Very nice. Getting a handsome collection of Buster comics there Chalky. 😎👍

And I know exactly what you mean when it comes to parting with collections only later to regret that decision. We forget how many hours it took to find that elusive issue. I find it so difficult find those same comics with the advent of the internet because they are in plain sight where before ticked away in some dusty cardboard box.

The frustrating thing is. Where before they were fairly straight forward to obtain, in some cases either being thrown out or given away for pennies, now find as they become scarcer & scarcer are often sold at a premium, although you do find the odd diamond in the rough, even today.
Never a truer word said.I remember so clearly purchasing 2 Patrick Troughton Dr Who annuals in excellent condition in 1977 at a jumble sale,for 5 pence each.
I paid £60 each for the same in 2010.
This is not in line with inflation!!!
Basically,these items are getting rarer by the day.
And frankly difficult to put a value on.
American comics have a clear system.
WE don't.

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Yes they are becoming both scarcer and more expensive. Over 20 years ago I bought a load of 1960 -1963 Busters from The Book Palace in London, they cost a lot but in an instant I filled about 100 gaps in my collection. Try finding 100 Busters dated 1960 - 1963 now, it would take years! Also 30th Century comics had loads at reasonable fixed prices which I used to buy as well. Then there was 26Pigs which was great to fill gaps. All that's left now for me is Ebay and when they appear it's like a bidding frenzy.

My correct total as of 26.03.24 is 508 Busters (+1 from 1971 on the way!) from the years 1960 -1981. All of the Annuals, Book of Thrills, Books of Gags, Spooky Stories, all of the Summer Specials and most of the Puzzle Specials with 1 exception. I even have a lot of the free gifts for those comics.

I could have just concentrated on getting the 1970's issues and I'd have a lot more now but I focused on the early issues, annuals, summer specials and puzzle specials first. It was hard on the wallet but I have some of the rarer pieces now.

All my comics are bagged individually and many have boards as well - courtesy of 30th Century Comics.

My own favourite is issue no. 1 of Buster dated May 28th 1960.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

What a collection you've amassed there Chalky. Out of interest. Do you keep them bagged & boarded? I know the early issues are quite long compared to the later more wider comics? I use 2000ad bags & boards. Fits a treat. Love to see a pic of that 1st issue of Buster if able too. And as the late great Roy Castle used to say at the ending of every episode of Record Breakers. Dedication is what you need. Well done! 👏🙂

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

jim244 wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 01:35
Into The Abyss wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 23:06
Chalky wrote:

Never a truer word said.I remember so clearly purchasing 2 Patrick Troughton Dr Who annuals in excellent condition in 1977 at a jumble sale,for 5 pence each.
I paid £60 each for the same in 2010.
This is not in line with inflation!!!
Basically,these items are getting rarer by the day.
And frankly difficult to put a value on.
American comics have a clear system.
WE don't.
Yeah, I agree. With American comics they are very particular when it comes to the slightest of flaws and sticklers for grading.

I used to go to loads of school summer fairs with my family where parents of pupils used to sell current & vintage comics a bundle. I think there were about 15 comics rolled up secured with an elastic band. Used to love the broadsheet Topper comics that we use to find. Not sure how old they were? Must have been late 60s very early 70s, I think. Memory's a bit foggy. So long ago.

Anyway, to be honest dates never really crossed my mind. I just loved the art, especially if they were Christmas or Halloween issues. The joy of returning home to check them with my brother is a memory I cherish. 🙂

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Into The Abyss wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 00:57
What a collection you've amassed there Chalky. Out of interest. Do you keep them bagged & boarded? I know the early issues are quite long compared to the later more wider comics? I use 2000ad bags & boards. Fits a treat. Love to see a pic of that 1st issue of Buster if able too. And as the late great Roy Castle used to say at the ending of every episode of Record Breakers. Dedication is what you need. Well done! 👏🙂
Hi 'Into The Abyss' - yes all of my comics, summer specials & annuals are bagged. Only the ones I bought from 30th Century comics (approx 250 comics) are boarded as they came that way to me originally. I live in Ireland and can't source the boards on their own, even if I found them on Ebay the cost is prohibitive due to the weight and additional customs charges. If an easy to use upload button were to be added to this forum I will gladly upload pictures but using an external system to link to is too complicated for me!

Thanks again for your kind words.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have the first issue of Buster but have not put it on ebay as I always fear the buyer may claim they didn't receive it and eBay believes them and I have to refund them thus losing the comic and the payment. Most collectors are honest but with a high price comic I don't want to take the chance.

Until recently I had Daredevil no. 1 but gave it to a friend. He actually gave it to me around 1969/70 when we were both children. I always felt I shouldn't really have taken it from him. He has a 17 year old son who is into comics so I handed it back. No regrets.

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

stevezodiac wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 13:58
I have the first issue of Buster but have not put it on ebay as I always fear the buyer may claim they didn't receive it and eBay believes them and I have to refund them thus losing the comic and the payment. Most collectors are honest but with a high price comic I don't want to take the chance.

Until recently I had Daredevil no. 1 but gave it to a friend. He actually gave it to me around 1969/70 when we were both children. I always felt I shouldn't really have taken it from him. He has a 17 year old son who is into comics so I handed it back. No regrets.
Hi Stevezodiac,

You could try listing the 1st issue of Buster with track & trace and sign for on delivery. I have also sold some material through Philcomics on Ebay. You would have to pay commission but he generally attracts higher bids which may justify it for you. Re. Daredevil, I'm not familiar with the title but you did a nice thing handing it to your friend.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Bought a cool Buster & Jackpot comic from the 25th December 1982 in FN. Pic to follow asap.

Also, not connected with comics although from a comic. Just obtained an original John Sullivan, BBC camera script, from the classic comedy 70s/80s tv series Citizen Smith starting Robert Lindsay. It came from the archive of actor and warmup comic Felix Bowness of Hi-De-Hi fame. 🙂
Last edited by Into The Abyss on 28 Mar 2024, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Daredevil was a silver age Marvel comic. I also had the Tales of Suspense with Iron Man's first appearance back in the sixties but I was into DC comics at the time and didn't hang onto it.

Found a bundle of Busters today from 1974/75. About 25 issues. I'll put them on ebay as a bundle apart from an Easter issue.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Just had delivery of my Christmas Buster & Jackpot comic from 25th December 1982 in FN cond. Epic cover! :)

PS: Check out the link to my classic TV collectables & original TV memorabilia. Think you'll like what I've uploaded. :cheers:

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=8415

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 21:23
Bought a cool Buster & Jackpot comic from the 25th December 1982 in FN. Pic to follow asap.

Also, not connected with comics although from a comic. Just obtained an original John Sullivan, BBC camera script, from the classic comedy 70s/80s tv series Citizen Smith starting Robert Lindsay. It came from the archive of actor and warmup comic Felix Bowness of Hi-De-Hi fame. 🙂
What a great TV show that was,Power to the People !!!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

jim244 wrote:
30 Mar 2024, 00:30
Into The Abyss wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 21:23

What a great TV show that was,Power to the People !!!
Yeah, I agree jim244 lol. Robert Lindsay was hilarious. He was also great in the classic comedy series Get's Some In. John Sullivan was a comedy genius. Favourite Citizen Smith episode, and there were many, was the one where Wolfe, Ken & Tucker broke into the pub to steal their bar tab from the safe, decided to use dynamite, put too much explosives in the safe, and that classic scene where pub landlord Harry Fenning and heavies were visiting Shirley's father & mother Charlie and Florence looking for Wolfie when after pleasantries, tea & cake, all looked out of the window to see a huge flash of light denoting a large explosion and that classic quote from Florence when she said, "Oh, that flash of light, didn't it look like a sunrise", lol. :lol:
Last edited by Into The Abyss on 30 Mar 2024, 13:53, edited 5 times in total.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Just had delivery of a very nice Christmas Beano comic No.1223 from the 25th December 1965 in FN condition. :)