What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Earl
Posts: 468
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 19:06
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Earl »

I won the following 1982 Tigers for 99p + £2.75 postage...

2nd January

16th January

23rd Januuary

13th Febuary

27th Febuary

6th March

13th March

3rd April

10th April


Also the following 1982 Tigers for 99p + £1.99 postage...

13th November

20th November

27th November

11th December

18th December


And finally 17 issues of Judy also from 1982.

User avatar
blaing
Posts: 906
Joined: 07 May 2010, 01:22
Location: SE Queensland, Australia

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

Purchased through Ebay
Image

The Cheeky Annual, 1980

I will now have to watch my money from here on (due to the fact that I'm going on holidays in the new year) :lol:
Last edited by blaing on 27 Jul 2010, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

Raven
Posts: 2829
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 22:58
Location: Highboro'

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Raven »

I've won Whizzer and Chips number 1! Well, sort of. It's actually the four issues from the 10th anniversary year of 1979 that contain a weekly pull out replica of the first issue.

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Gallery/Norma ... lierIssue=

I remember this well from when it came out.

Also the Whizzer and Chips of 2nd January 1971 - something of a revamp issue, with seven new strips: the debuts of Awkward 'Awk, Ringer Dinger, Alfie in Africa, Loser, Pursuit of the Puzzler, Who is Sandy? and Knight School.

steelclaw
DC Skelton
Posts: 1868
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 19:24

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by steelclaw »

Came across this 'Blue Jeans' pocket size photo novel first time I've seen one published by DC.Thomson in 1980.

Image


Also 9 Beano Comic Library.

Image

And 3 Dandy Comic Library

Image


Guess what I've got a new Scanner/Printer :D

Earl
Posts: 468
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 19:06
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Earl »

Nice find on the Blue Jeans. I manged to find a small collection on ebay earlier in the year.

I hit amazon today and finally picked up The Rainbow Orchid. I also snagged volume 1 and 2 of Lady S from Cinebook, the first volume of Orbital and the final installment of the Chimpanzee Complex both also from Cinebook.

Earl.

steelclaw
DC Skelton
Posts: 1868
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 19:24

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by steelclaw »

Earl wrote:Nice find on the Blue Jeans. I manged to find a small collection on ebay earlier in the year.

Earl.
Are they quiet rare?
The place I bought them had around 30+ 50p each, I bought 1 just because I haven't got one in my collection.

Raven
Posts: 2829
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 22:58
Location: Highboro'

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Raven »

I was pleased to get two consecutive issues of Comic Cuts from September/October1947, and three consecutive issues of Tip Top from January/February 1950, today. Both these tabloid comics were fortnightly, with only 8 pages each, but they're pretty packed.

Comic Cuts thrills include Chums Adrift (Bob, Bill and Figgy aboard the wonder-ship Electron), Renton Steel - Ace of Tecs, and wanderer of the west, Rover Joe. Obligatory racist strip is Pinhead and Pete.

(Amalgamation info: issue 2,829 is titled Comic Cuts and Larks, but there's no 'and Larks' on the next issue's cover.)

The Tip Tops are lovely looking, with full colour covers starring The Happy Family, plus a panel illustrating one of the adventure stories inside. Features include Danny Drew and the Other Two - a top detective helped out by a monkey and a parrot, Wish-a-Week Willy, and wild west adventure at the Double Six Ranch with Peter and his Prairie Pards. There's also Cheery Chatter from Jimmy Jinks, the Tip Top Office Boy (actually a weekly text story he introduces), and complete stories like The Great Fog and The Boy Gangster.

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3853
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Bought a few weeks ago, but they pitched up today (Thanks Royal Mail for your normal speedily delivery! :x ) and it is a rather nice mixed bag of 3 Victors (all doubles, so a quality check there), 3 Hornets (one double, but then again, one is issue 2! :up: ) and a pile of Rovers. So a happy bunny here.

Also, while I remember, I will dig out my specials and try and get a decent pic of Warlord 1991 Summer Special for you Al, so that way, you have the full run.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4763
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm pretty sure Tip Top alternated with Jingles in the 50s - they looked very much alike so probably had the same production team. A way of producing two different titles but without two issues each week. The Daily Express does something similar by having the Sunday Express produced by the same editorial team thus saving money on salaries.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5348
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Phoenix »

Yesterday from eBay one issue of The Rover from 1926 for £12.50, (only 75 now still needed for a full run), today from the same source five issues of Spellbound for £17.50, (62 of those still required!), plus p&p of course, my first comic/story paper purchases for many months.

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7281
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Digifiend »

Raven wrote:I was pleased to get two consecutive issues of Comic Cuts from September/October1947, and three consecutive issues of Tip Top from January/February 1950, today. Both these tabloid comics were fortnightly, with only 8 pages each, but they're pretty packed.

Comic Cuts thrills include Chums Adrift (Bob, Bill and Figgy aboard the wonder-ship Electron), Renton Steel - Ace of Tecs, and wanderer of the west, Rover Joe. Obligatory racist strip is Pinhead and Pete.

(Amalgamation info: issue 2,829 is titled Comic Cuts and Larks, but there's no 'and Larks' on the next issue's cover.)

The Tip Tops are lovely looking, with full colour covers starring The Happy Family, plus a panel illustrating one of the adventure stories inside. Features include Danny Drew and the Other Two - a top detective helped out by a monkey and a parrot, Wish-a-Week Willy, and wild west adventure at the Double Six Ranch with Peter and his Prairie Pards. There's also Cheery Chatter from Jimmy Jinks, the Tip Top Office Boy (actually a weekly text story he introduces), and complete stories like The Great Fog and The Boy Gangster.
Comic Cuts would've still been affected by paper rationing in 1947, hence the fortnightly frequency. It was normally weekly. That probably also explains the low page count.

Raven
Posts: 2829
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 22:58
Location: Highboro'

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Raven »

Digifiend wrote: Comic Cuts would've still been affected by paper rationing in 1947, hence the fortnightly frequency. It was normally weekly. That probably also explains the low page count.
I did think about wartime paper rationing, but had been surprised to see Tip Top also fortnightly in 1950. Comic Cuts was 8 pages as early as 1935 though, so that was its natural page count. Quite a few comics were eight pagers back then.

Kashgar
Guru
Posts: 2761
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 14:15

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Kashgar »

We've covered this ground on this forum before. All of AP's tabloid titles, if they survived the war at all, Chips, Comic Cuts, Wonder, Tip-Top and Jingles were fortnightly until 1952 when an end to paper rationing allowed them to become weeklies again. (Similarly Thomsons weren't able to launch Topper until the beginning of 1953).
I can also confirm that Tip-Top and Jingles were produced by the same production team on alternate weeks in the same way that the editors of the Thomson boys' papers Rover (John Low) and Adventure (Stuart Gilchrist) had edited the fortnightly issues of Dandy and Beano respectively along with their own fortnightly produced papers during the war years.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote: Comic Cuts would've still been affected by paper rationing in 1947, hence the fortnightly frequency. It was normally weekly. That probably also explains the low page count.
Practically every early AP comic only had 8 pages, dating right back to the 19th Century. It was the standard format back then, not a reduction due to shortages. Comic Cuts had that format since its first issue in 1890.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7281
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Digifiend »

Kashgar wrote:We've covered this ground on this forum before. All of AP's tabloid titles, if they survived the war at all, Chips, Comic Cuts, Wonder, Tip-Top and Jingles were fortnightly until 1952 when an end to paper rationing allowed them to become weeklies again. (Similarly Thomsons weren't able to launch Topper until the beginning of 1953).
I can also confirm that Tip-Top and Jingles were produced by the same production team on alternate weeks in the same way that the editors of the Thomson boys' papers Rover (John Low) and Adventure (Stuart Gilchrist) had edited the fortnightly issues of Dandy and Beano respectively along with their own fortnightly produced papers during the war years.
Yeah, I suppose if the war hadn't happened, Topper might've launched in 1940, or at least early that decade, since they seemed to be releasing them once a year (Dandy 1937, Beano eight months later in 1938, and Magic a year after that, 1939) with the intention of making a comics big five to go with the story paper big five. How is is that Beano and Dandy were able to resume weekly publication in 1949, but AP had to wait another three years?

Post Reply