What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

big bad bri

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

i will have to read again as i thought the bananman story was part of the main beano all stars one :lol:

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

big bad bri wrote:Also does anyone know who the bananaman artist was as that is how he should have been done since last dandy revamp.
Bananaman is drawn by Wayne Thompson in this week's issue and also drew the Bananaman that featured in The Dandy from 2010-12.

Personally, I'd have preferred to have seen Andy Janes' Bananaman as seen in The Digital Dandy - I loved his version!
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

^Except for one face in the last panel. Wayne must've drawn a generic Mayor, and a stock art picture of Scrimp's face was placed over it. Finally some accurate continuity after the previous two weeks with a Bash Street School with a different headmaster (Tricky Dicky being the offender there)!
blaing wrote:Bri, I think it was Nigel Parkinson for the story in BeanoMAX 79. and the Bananaman story was a reprint.
Yeah, by Tom Paterson.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Digifiend wrote:^Except for one face in the last panel. Wayne must've drawn a generic Mayor, and a stock art picture of Scrimp's face was placed over it. Finally some accurate continuity after the previous two weeks with a Bash Street School with a different headmaster (Tricky Dicky being the offender there)!
Heh, I was wondering that myself - certainly looked like stock-art! At least they're paying attention this time instead of before with Tricky Dicky's own mayor!
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Terry

Post by Terry »

Just had The Daily Mirror Book of Garth 1976, delivered which I won on Ebay lasy week, excellent condition for its age

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

New Dandy & beano summer specials & also Mad superman movies special it is really good reprinting all the superman spoofs, I actually haven't seen Mad in newsagents for years.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I used to get the odd Mad Magazine in Borders its a shame that closed down..

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Mad is really hard to come by in newsagents. There's one newsagents in Manchester city centre that I'm aware of that stocks it (the one on Piccadilly Gardens, if you're ever around that way), and I'm sure I've seen it in the WH Smith in either Euston or Victoria in London too (yeah, dead helpful, no worries.)

Comic shops occasionally have it but it's cheaper in newsagents - only £3.25 (Cheap!) even though it's $5.99 US. (It's about a quid more in comic shops.)

I miss the UK version of Mad, and its crudely-Anglicised strips.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bought the latest Beano from NewsPlus - for £1.50. It came up at the wrong price when they scanned the barcode, so I saved a quid! :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Bought the latest Beano from NewsPlus - for £1.50. It came up at the wrong price when they scanned the barcode, so I saved a quid! :D
Did it not occur to you, Digi, that you were in effect stealing £1 from NewsPlus?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I think he did the same a couple of years back. There is an old Indian Newsagent where I buy my papers and even though I buy the same papers every day he takes ages to add them up and sometimes undercharges but I always give him the correct money. My parents would look upon me with shame if they knew I was taking advantage of someone for my own financial gain.

Alf Tupper would never do it.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

NewsPlus is part of the Londis convenience store chain, so I don't feel all that guilty about it (it's not just some independent shop). It was their mistake, probably at head office considering they actually scanned the barcode. A few dozen readers probably benefited. Of course, if they'd OVERcharged, I would've pointed it out.

babington

Post by babington »

Bought a copy of Forces in Combat No. 1 with the free gift, Beano No. 2000 and a few nice copies of Tornado all for 50p each. I've been going to the shop for ages and finally they had something worth getting!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:NewsPlus is part of the Londis convenience store chain, so I don't feel all that guilty about it (it's not just some independent shop). It was their mistake, probably at head office considering they actually scanned the barcode. A few dozen readers probably benefited. Of course, if they'd OVERcharged, I would've pointed it out.
Who NewsPlus are is not the point, Digi. What you should be concerned about is your shifting values. You would have been up in arms if their barcode had been overcharging you, but you were perfectly happy to take advantage of a barcode that was undercharging you. Theft is theft, whichever way you look at it. You are a responsible adult, so you should make plans to revisit your personal moral code, adjust a few knots and iron out a few kinks. This weekend would be a good time to start.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Arriving in the mail from DCT was the Very Last Dandy Summer Special (I also bought the Beano Bookazine, but I suspect it will arrive in Monday's mail), and from NewsStand, I got the Beano No. 3694 (I'll get No. 3695 and the D&G megazine in the mail next Wednesday.

I visited a bookshop in Nambour (about 50 km from where I live, and has become one of my favourite haunts), and struck four issues of Cor!! from 1970 (including the Christmas 1970 issue), 1971 and 1972.