What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by paw broon »

You were in Falkirk and I took the train to Glw. You got the better deal as the "market/happening" wasn't a comic mart, it was a thingy with a few comics. Nothing for me. :cry:

starscape

Post by starscape »

I'll try out the panamanamochromaticopticronicle in Glasgow at the end of the month. Have a visit to some old haunts too whilst I'm around.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The Beano and Dandy Christmas Crackers, of which Easons had the Beano with the children's magazines and the Dandy in the children's books section. Who needs WH Smith!

blaing

Post by blaing »

received in the mail this morning was the Bananaman Summer Special, 1984

SID

Post by SID »

SID wrote:I seem to keep buying The Beano (which is still getting more Dandy-like as times go on) and Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine.

I managed to abstain this week though. :)
I failed last week. :(
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

This week, I got three issues of Khaki Shorts (for free, thanks to AJ Smith!), and two issues of Sboncyn, that Welsh comic that was on Lew Stringer's blog last year. Those things are massive - 96 pages in the first issue and 80 in the third!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

starscape

Post by starscape »

Went to Edinburger where I picked up the entire run of Green Lantern: Blackest Night for a pound an issue at a charity shop, a few more records for the new vinyl collection (two Wedding Presents and a Joy Division 12") and Eagle 1991, Victor 1990 and Hotspur 1982 annuals from a childrens collectible bookshop, opposite the Museum of Childhood. I then asked about the Young Marvelman annual and got that for £4.
STARSCAPE Comic

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

WHSmith FINALLY had the Dandy Christmas Cracker in! :D

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

starscape wrote:two Wedding Presents
Ooh, which ones? One of my favourite bands of all time, the Weddoes.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Beano, as usual. Also, The Best of Alf Tupper Tough of the Track. Bargain Book Time had it for £3.99.

starscape

Post by starscape »

PaulTwist wrote:
starscape wrote:two Wedding Presents
Ooh, which ones? One of my favourite bands of all time, the Weddoes.
Woops, missed this. Anyway, I (re)bought the first 12" 'Don't Try and Stop Me, Mother' (love 'The Moment Before Everything's Spoiled Again') and the classic 'My Favourite Dress' (which I just played and sang for the first time in a jam recently too).

From the Panopticon, I bought Valiant Annual 1965 and an Alter-Ego from, presumably, Paw Broon. I'm more of a fan of Back Issue but tried Alter-Ego. As I thought, it's just a bit too ancient for me. Also got a Cheeky, Marvel Madhouse #1 and a Victor for £1!

Then bought a few Paninis/Titan Marvel/DC from WH Smith and Showcase: All-Star Squadron from FP Glasgow. Ok, not overly interested in golden-age stories but love the JSA resurrected.
STARSCAPE Comic

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went to the comic fair in London yesterday but by the time I got there I was down to a few quid as I went to the ephemera fair first where my friendly comic dealer had a nice bundle of early Whams - i got about 30+ of them. Just got my existing early Whams out of the cupboard to check for doubles of which there will be a few. He had a box full of 60s Beezers and Toppers of which I alerted my mate Steve and he came over and bought some - unlike me he has checklists so won't be buying doubles. I picked up several other items included some very nice copies of The Pilot and some tabloid Busters as well as some Victorian magazines. All I bought at the comic fair was the first season of the Lucy Show dvd and another series called The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis which I have never heard of but as it is a sixties American sitcom it will do me. I met Phoenix and had a nice drink and chat with him. The Lancashire/London language barrier was no hindrance to our conversation at all. Corrie meets Eastenders :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Got back last night from London. The Comic Fair at the Royal National provided me with the 1988 Mandy annual, after which I trundled over to the Holiday Inn for the Ephemera Fair, where I picked up The Runaway Footballer by E L McKeag, number 59 in the Aldine Football Novels series. The only other item I bought was a 1947 paperback All The FA Cup Finals by Roland Allen, which gives reports on all the Wembley finals from 1923 to 1946. The reason I'm even mentioning it here is that a good few of the humorous cartoons that Tom Webster is famous for are scattered through its pages. I got a decent discount on all the items. I notice that Steve has mentioned meeting up with me at the Comic Fair. I was delighted that he did make himself known to me this time. He's a really nice guy and we chatted for the best part of two hours overall about all sorts of things, from the comics he'd already bought at the Ephemera Fair, which he was justifiably delighted with, to our favourite football teams, and a great place for comics he'd found in Greenwich. Inevitably, pie and mash shops were talked about. Later, as we were wandering round the fair, he introduced me to his mate Steve, who was equally friendly and chatty. Despite the meagre pickings, it was a good day.

NP

Post by NP »

stevezodiac wrote:I met Phoenix and had a nice drink and chat with him.
Phoenix wrote:I notice that Steve has mentioned meeting up with me at the Comic Fair. I was delighted that he did make himself known to me this time. He's a really nice guy ...he introduced me to his mate Steve, who was equally friendly and chatty.
Let's hope next time you say hello to me and don't slide past! I can be fairly friendly.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

No snub intended, I didn't know you were there. The only dealer who recognised me was Phil Shrimpton, and both Steve and I spoke to him for a while. Unfortunately, as I was really only on the lookout for the issues of girls' story papers from DCT on my Wants List, and he hadn't brought any, in fact he wasn't sure he even had any, I didn't buy anything from him. The Mandy annual I acquired I got from the same dealer from whom I bought the School Friend and Girl's Crystal annuals at the last fair I went to. It seemed to me that most dealers were offering American comics and associated merchandise, and/or DVDs, in which I have rather less than minimal interest. One stall had quite a lot of pieces of original artwork on display, decent quality pieces, but there again I'm not looking to buy any just for the sake of it. It was really disappointing to discover that even the handful of DCT dealers that were there two years ago did not consider it worth the bother turning up this time.