What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by paw broon »

I visited a friend yesterday and we did the usual swap of comics and books. But, he was also sorting out stuff for the next mart and I had a look through the pile, ending up buying vols. 1 & 2 of Archie Marries Veronica/Betty tpb's; 2 umpteen hundred page digest Archie vols; a small pile of Dells and GK's. He then gave me some 2000AD issues, a Look & Learn; Tales of Terror #10 (the digest library); Hornet #129; 3 x war libraries and the 6th Edition Archie Annual, being a b&w reprint published by G.G. Swan.
What a good day.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bought the Beano from WHSmith. Should've been £3.20 this week because it was bagged with gifts. They charged the usual £2.20!

starscape

Post by starscape »

50 issues (as in 1 to 50) of The Crunch for a very reasonable £8 (though I gave him £10). Also came across a shop with loads of Alan Class (£3-5), although I didn't get any.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

starscape wrote:50 issues (as in 1 to 50) of The Crunch for a very reasonable £8 (though I gave him £10).
You only need four more for the full run, starscape.

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Around 50 Whooppees! for a fiver and then 11 comic annuals including 1960 and 64 Beezer and some other nice Buster for another fiver. You can't beat car boot sales!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Didn't buy it, but I did receive this little beauty from Argentina today. :D
windward.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

TV Comics Bugs Bunny Winter Special 1977. Never knew anything about this beforehand... as a keen voyeur of this particular year, I'm well chuffed. Cost a big :shock: Still, overtime is plentifully available.

NP

Post by NP »

Digifiend wrote:Bought the Beano from WHSmith. Should've been £3.20 this week because it was bagged with gifts. They charged the usual £2.20!
No wonder I could only afford one cup of tea yesterday.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Ranger No. 1! Yay!! We kids had a subscription to Look and Learn, so I bought a pile of Rangers years ago to see where Rob Riley, Jason January Space Cadet, and The Trigan Empire had come from. Fleetway's answer to Eagle, and a very good one I think. A pity it didn't last long.

That pirate page is fantastic! Very baroque. Which comic is it from?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I agree about Ranger - and about Coolcol's fantastic piece of artwork. Is that by the amazing Quique Alcatena? And if you didn't pay for it how many body parts did you swap for it Col? I'd kill for a piece like that! :shock:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

suebutcher wrote: ...That pirate page is fantastic! Very baroque. Which comic is it from?
It is from a graphic novel called Windward (Barlovento). It was published in South America about five years ago. From what I have read about it, think of the Iliad done as a pirate story!
philcom55 wrote:Is that by the amazing Quique Alcatena? And if you didn't pay for it how many body parts did you swap for it Col? I'd kill for a piece like that!
Yes, it is by Quique. I was actually asking for the price of a commission. And for the princely sum of being one of his fans and writing the review of Arena, published by Bear Alley Books, on the Down The Tubes website, he was kind enough to ask me for my address and this turned up on my doorstep a week later!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm green with envy. Quique is not only one of the best comic artists to work on either side of the Atlantic - he's also one of the nicest!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:I'm green with envy. Quique is not only one of the best comic artists to work on either side of the Atlantic - he's also one of the nicest!
The bit that got me was that I spoke to his agent raving ecstatically about his early work and I kept getting the answer that it wasn't that good. And I kept disagreeing, pointing out that Quique's work had opened the world of surrealism to me and that his early work still had appeal after all these years.

And tonight, I attended an evening of comic appreciation in Glasgow and bought all five of Jim Alexander's anthology and the Burke and Hare GN by Martin Conaghan and Will Pickering

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

By post today, 3 Pearsons TV Picture Story Libraries. 1 x Last of The Mohicans; 1x Buccaneers; 1 x Sword of Freedom.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

This week I received a copy o Ranger number 1 from ebay which cost me £10. It has a cardboard advert and string at the top for hanging up in a newsagents. Quite a unique find.