What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

koollectablz

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by koollectablz »

Wasn't today, but this month I picked up the whole run of TV Comic featuring full colour Dr Who covers (#788-809), plus the first Dr Who colour centre which is also the first Avengers (#720).

edit - I've also just realised this is my first post here in over a decade of lurking... better late than never eh?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's a nice acquisition Koollectablz - I wish I had them!

Welcome to the Forum at long last by the way. I hope it won't be another decade until we hear from you again! :)

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Yea thanks! I hope to add a bit more to the forum from now on, always thought it was a great site!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Don;t be shy, now, kollektables.........

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

another 54 issues of 2000ad from a few years ago .i'm slowly catching up from when i stopped collecting it years ago.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

The Beano, 5.12.2015, from a newsagent in Apollo Bay, Victoria. Which is remarkable, because I've not seen a Beano in an Australian newsagent since the Seventies. As for the comic, it's not bad, but I wish the designer was a bit more careful with the placement of the word balloons, which tend to block out details of the drawings; for example Plug's hadron collider goes WH(balloon pointer)ZZ-ZOOM!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up the first Four Feather Falls TV Comic from ebay

At one point i was seriously considering trying to go for a complete TV Comic collection. But that's really a hiding to nothing.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I recently picked up a pile of the later TV Comics very cheap and the decline in quality from the title's heyday was sad to see!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Oh gosh I know!

It wasn't on my list of must have comics as a kid in the 70/80s - they were Buster, Whizzer n Chips and then 2000AD.

But I did get bought the occasional issue and I always quite liked it - Mighty Moth and TV Terrors always were my favs - I think in TV Terrors I liked the way the Commissionaire's boots were drawn!

But the quality towards the latter end of the run was atrocious, even worse than what happened with Buster!

TBh I think it'd be a far more collected comic if it didn't have such a non-descript cover for the whole of the seventies.

The 50/60s issues are really very hard to find in anything like reasonable condition or price.

SID

Post by SID »

I got my Tales From The TARDIS for the first time via subscription.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

abacus

Post by abacus »

My first carboot visit of the season.
Cold start to the morning but suitably dressed with woolly hat and gloves it was good to be back amongst the chatter and laughter of the carboot.
Got the following------
VICTOR BOOK FOR BOYS 1967-----------50P
DANDY ANNUAL1975--------------------50P
PINK PANTHER ANNUAL1973-------------£1
BEVERLY HILLBILLIES ANNUAL 1966?-----£1
and yesterday from a charity shop got---
CHARLEY'S WAR titan books2005 1august1916-17october1916-------------10p

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

abacus wrote:My first carboot visit of the season.
Cold start to the morning but suitably dressed with woolly hat and gloves it was good to be back amongst the chatter and laughter of the carboot.
Ah yes, really miss the carboots from when I was living in England. Although of course, no matter how early you got there somebody else would always be walking out with a box of comics :x :lol:
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

abacus

Post by abacus »

George Shiers wrote:
abacus wrote:My first carboot visit of the season.
Ah yes, really miss the carboots from when I was living in England. Although of course, no matter how early you got there somebody else would always be walking out with a box of comics :x :lol:
Yes! The same applies to charity shops, it's always slightly disturbing when you see someone looking through the comics and annuals and realising you have got competition. :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Also the dealers who say they just sold a box full of comics five minutes ago! :(

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

just got a huge chunk of the entire backlog of CATWOMAN comics------I was after this material for ages, but it was always quite expensive.

Very suave and stylish, with much adult poses, but very good overall.