What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Kashgar
Guru

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Kashgar » 01 Jun 2016, 14:59

Thanks for the rundown Adam. There is something terrifically appealing about the idea of having a complete run of a title that you can read from beginning to end, should you ever get the chance to do so. I remember as a kid having a run of Victor from No29 to No387 and how much I fantasised about tracking down those first 28 issues to see how it all started and which, like many youthful fantasies, was only fulfilled in adulthood.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 » 01 Jun 2016, 15:36

I felt the same way about Boys' World which I collected every week from the second issue until it merged with Eagle. For years I used to dream about the missing Number One which introduced all the characters, and which came to seem like my own personal 'holy grail'!
Last edited by philcom55 on 02 Jun 2016, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno » 02 Jun 2016, 17:03

Kashgar wrote:Hi Adam. So how many editions of Commando do you have in total after your recent purchase of 3000+? There aren't many titles you could actually collect 3000+ issues of and its certainly got to be rare to collect so many in one go. I have 3770 editions of Beano but they certainly weren't gotten in huge amounts at one time. Similarly my 3600 Dandys. It's also impressive that you've managed to purchase a complete run of Valiant, over 700 issues, in one purchase. Has anyone on this site ever bought a more sizable complete run of a title in one purchase? I think you could be a comicsuk record breaker on both counts Adam unless someone can tell us different.
I've now gone through all of the new Commandos and I now have 3428 issues. My nephew has about 600 as well which he'll let me pick through when he gets back in the country. The bulk on the 3000+ recently bought were 986 in the 1000s, 902 in the 2000s, 750 in the 3000s and 726 in the 4000s.

I need to work on the first 1000!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 » 02 Jun 2016, 17:07

Adam Eterno wrote:
Kashgar wrote:Hi Adam. So how many editions of Commando do you have in total after your recent purchase of 3000+? There aren't many titles you could actually collect 3000+ issues of and its certainly got to be rare to collect so many in one go. I have 3770 editions of Beano but they certainly weren't gotten in huge amounts at one time. Similarly my 3600 Dandys. It's also impressive that you've managed to purchase a complete run of Valiant, over 700 issues, in one purchase. Has anyone on this site ever bought a more sizable complete run of a title in one purchase? I think you could be a comicsuk record breaker on both counts Adam unless someone can tell us different.
I've now gone through all of the new Commandos and I now have 3428 issues. My nephew has about 600 as well which he'll let me pick through when he gets back in the country. The bulk on the 3000+ recently bought were 986 in the 1000s, 902 in the 2000s, 750 in the 3000s and 726 in the 4000s.

I need to work on the first 1000!
I have some doubles there, so we can do swaps if you like!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno » 02 Jun 2016, 17:49

I have some doubles there, so we can do swaps if you like![/quote]

When I get the rest from my nephew I'll be up for that thanks. I haven't done 'swapsies' for 40 years!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri » 03 Jun 2016, 13:52

Got another 12 Buster inc 10 from 1962 in phils auctions and 8 whizzer and chips from early 70s.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » 04 Jun 2016, 17:58

Nice little bundle from the postman this morning, all from eBay:

-MAX Overload issue 2, which I'm SO happy with. Been after this since 1994 then it came up as a Buy It Now for £1.99 :D
-BIG Comic Fortnightly, issues 1, 12, 15 and 18
-BIG Comic Holiday Special (132 pages!), 1988
-The Trout issue 3 (one of those adult comics that has so far been VERY hard to find)
-The Scurvy Dog issue 3 (got the lot of them now!)
-Whizzer and Chips Holiday Specials, 1987 and 1988
-Five issues of The Best of Whizzer and Chips Monthly
-Fourteen issues of Whizzer and Chips from 1987-1989

Happy days :)
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno » 06 Jun 2016, 18:34

A much quieter week for me with only 4 purchases. Chatterbox #1 from 1890, the full set of Crikey as I've really enjoyed the ones I've read so far, Tom Corbett Space Cadet (WDL) #1 and Out Of This World (Alan Class) #1.

Mrs Eterno has agreed to the adoption of the 3000+ Commando comics due to the concerted effort I made to sort them out quickly and the fact that I concentrated on selling stuff this week and managed to cover the cost of them and a bit more. Valiants are due this week and I may have forgotten to mention them so far so I'm taking her out for dinner this evening!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix » 06 Jun 2016, 19:34

philcom55 wrote:I felt the same way about Boys' World which I collected every week from the second issue until it merged with Eagle. For years I used to dream about the missing Number One which introduced all the characters, and which came to seem like my own personal 'holy grail'!
Just out of curiosity, Phil, during that dreaming period were you at any time prepared to pay through the nose to make sure you won any relevant auction, or did you set yourself a limit beyond which you were not going to go, on the grounds that a cheaper copy would eventually surface?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY » 06 Jun 2016, 20:31

I have developed a penchant for comic-strip stories feauturing 'babettes' [for lack of a better term] from the DC comics stable: I started off with the excellently-drawn CATWOMAN back-catalogue, and I have now moved onto the equally proficient HARLEY QUINN series-------these are all BATMAN-related items of course, and although several different artists are used throughout [sometimes within the same comic issue] the visuals are mostly stunning...very difficult to draw effective young women as good as the Harley/Catwoman standard.

Apparantly Harley Quinn makes her first live-action appearence in SUICIDE SQUAD coming to our screens later this year.

I doubt if the flesh-and-blood-real-actress version will equal the sumptuous eccentricity of the comic-book version, though:

Just reading through this material properly for the first time since the weekend: really good , very impressive visually.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 » 06 Jun 2016, 21:07

Phoenix wrote:
philcom55 wrote:I felt the same way about Boys' World which I collected every week from the second issue until it merged with Eagle. For years I used to dream about the missing Number One which introduced all the characters, and which came to seem like my own personal 'holy grail'!
Just out of curiosity, Phil, during that dreaming period were you at any time prepared to pay through the nose to make sure you won any relevant auction, or did you set yourself a limit beyond which you were not going to go, on the grounds that a cheaper copy would eventually surface?
I think I eventually found a copy of Boys' World #1 for £3 at a local antiques fair in the early 1980s (and then, weirdly, I stumbled across a second copy just weeks later!). It's hard to believe now but that was a completely different world for the collector - long before anybody had even imagined Ebay! I'm not sure what my upper limit would have been at the time but I seem to recall that it was pretty hard to find ANY British comics from more than twenty years ago - I just kind of resigned myself to the thought that most of them would probably never turn up for love OR money!

starscape

Post by starscape » 06 Jun 2016, 21:15

On my annual pilgrimage to Wales, I bought a couple of Legion of Super-Heroes either side of the Great Darkness Saga (which I've always loved) in Cardiff. I then asked about a King Comics' Phantom. So he sold me that for £2 as he thought it was an 80s reprint (it wasn't!).

In Caerphilly, a charity shop had a few annuals for £2-3, so I got Cor! 1981, Shiver & Shake 1982 and Buster 1985. Incredibly, they also had a load of not very rare comics (Megazine, Impact Comics, Alpha Flight, X-Factor etc.) for £5 each! Who would ever pay that price??

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 » 06 Jun 2016, 22:35

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:...Apparantly Harley Quinn makes her first live-action appearence in SUICIDE SQUAD coming to our screens later this year.

I doubt if the flesh-and-blood-real-actress version will equal the sumptuous eccentricity of the comic-book version, though:

Just reading through this material properly for the first time since the weekend: really good , very impressive visually.
I have to admit that from what I have seen of Margot Robbie so far, I am quietly optimistic that she will do the character justice.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY » 07 Jun 2016, 05:05

Here's hoping, Col!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix » 07 Jun 2016, 10:01

philcom55 wrote:It's hard to believe now but that was a completely different world for the collector - long before anybody had even imagined Ebay!
Yes. The only sources for me were the adverts in Exchange And Mart, which did include Norman Shaw's, and the monthly fairs at the Piccadilly Plaza hotel in Manchester, which did introduce me to local dealer David Moore from Crosby. Sadly David would later die from liver cancer.