What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Picked up a boxload of Look and Learn for less than the price of a Megazine. Oh and I picked up my Kennedy sketch too. So a good day out for me. :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Picked up a few later issues of Spiderman Weekly which I haven't looked at recently. I think I now have a complete run from 1 to 633 so just need 634 to 666 to have the complete set! Even better, when I was going through my collection I found duplicates of most of the 500s so they'll go straight on Ebay and will hopefully pay for the last 33 issues I need.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Spent yesterday at the Braehead Con - and what a con it was. No comic creators, apart from 3 or 4 of the usual small press blokes, but I had a good chat with Sha.
There were only 5 dealers with comics and British stuff was noticeable by it's absence, apart form some WDL reprints of Dell westerns that I found while raking through a box. Needless to say I bought them, plus a WDL Movie Classic. One of the British reprints is Billy the Kid #44 and the only BtK story in it looks like a British drawn strip.I don't recognise the art.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Casey Ruggles (Great name!) #1 (Donald F. Peters) - 1951
Ranger #1 & #2 (IPC) - 1965
Battle Picture Library #1 - The Rats of Tobruk (IPC) - I've been after this one for a while!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

This week I've got...

-This month's Viz
-Acne #11 (with massive poster)
-Crisp (a collection of "new" comics compiled by Paul Gravette c.1998)
-Moist Penguin #7
-Streetcomix #3
-Zum! issues 3 and 4
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:This week I've got...

-This month's Viz
-Acne #11 (with massive poster)
-Crisp (a collection of "new" comics compiled by Paul Gravette c.1998)
-Moist Penguin #7
-Streetcomix #3
-Zum! issues 3 and 4
Some old skool small press in that list!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Yeah, love that stuff... Seems there's endless titles as well so it'll keep me entertained for the rest of my life probably :)
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

babington

Post by babington »

I finally bought really nice copies of the second and third issues of 2000AD with the gifts, after looking out for decent-priced copies for the whole time I've collected comics (8 years now). Hooray. Now I just need a run of Beano books from the forties and I'm done :lol:

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

10 Monster Funs for £5
Krazy Annual 1981 for £4
7 Best of Whoopee monthlies for £1 each
2 Best of Whizzer and Chips monthlies for £1 each

Not bad!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

babington wrote:I finally bought really nice copies of the second and third issues of 2000AD with the gifts, after looking out for decent-priced copies for the whole time I've collected comics (8 years now). Hooray. Now I just need a run of Beano books from the forties and I'm done :lol:
Well done. Both have got so expensive over the last few years. I've seen #2 go for between £300 and £500! I bought a couple of them for less than £100 only 5 or 6 years ago. #3 was on ebay with gift for only £20ish at the time and it now sells for £200!

babington

Post by babington »

Exactly Adam Eterno - I often curse that I didn't buy no. 3 with the gift back in 2008 when it was thirty quid! I wonder if any other 2000AD issues will go up as much in the next eight years? Maybe we should have an "Undervalued Spotlight" section for British comics (see the excellent Canadian version here: http://www.comicbookdaily.com/category/ ... dervalued/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

babington wrote:Exactly Adam Eterno - I often curse that I didn't buy no. 3 with the gift back in 2008 when it was thirty quid! I wonder if any other 2000AD issues will go up as much in the next eight years? Maybe we should have an "Undervalued Spotlight" section for British comics (see the excellent Canadian version here: http://www.comicbookdaily.com/category/ ... dervalued/
What a great site! The only other 2000AD comics that could reach the same heady heights would be the banned issues 71, 72, 77 and 78 I think. I've bought and sold them quite a few times and they can achieve high prices.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Another mixed bag over the Bank Holiday weekend:

Starburst #1 from 1978
Pocket Western Library #1 - Drifter - 1971 (2nd series)
Modern Boy #24, 25, 26 and 27 (the free train gift issues) - 1929 - to add to two of the gifts I have.
Western Classics #1 (and only) - Bonanza - Death Trap - 1972
The Inhumans #1 - Marvel All Colour Comics - 1975
Marvel Future Tense #1 with gift - 1980
Marvel Action Weekly #1-6 with 3 free gifts - 1981
Starblazer #131 (plus some duplicates) - still 80 odd to go for the set.

I'm in London on business all week so I'm looking forward to getting home on Friday to a pile of parcels!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Is it my imagination or do you have a thing for Number Ones Adam? :)

SID

Post by SID »

MAD Magazine No. 541.

I bought MAD a few times way way back and used to like it. I must admit, I still prefer it to Viz.
Last edited by SID on 04 Sep 2016, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).