What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by philcom55 »

Adam Eterno wrote:Thanks for that. I've seen both covers and they're both blue, red and orange! I'll have to get hold of the other one and work it out.
For what it's worth Denis says the second issue has a black/red/yellow cover. :?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

3-star 2.jpg
(12.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
philcom55 wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Thanks for that. I've seen both covers and they're both blue, red and orange! I'll have to get hold of the other one and work it out.
For what it's worth Denis says the second issue has a black/red/yellow cover. :?
Thanks Phil. What do you reckon?
Attachments
3-star.jpg
(13.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet

abacus

Post by abacus »

On wednesday's I cycle to an out of town charity shop which has 4 boxes of US comics.
Could find nothing with the WOW factor so settled for two' Mazing Man----
DC 'MAZING MAN No 9 1986----------£1
DC 'MAZING MAN No 10 1986---------£1
'Mazing Man is a comical character with no special powers in a series of comics with fine art and storytelling.

As I was choosing the comics I heard someone come into the shop and ask the assistant if they took comics like DC , Marvel etc.When the assistant said yes he went to is car or van and bought in a 1/2 dozen bags and boxes full.
Looking at one of the bags I could see the edges of larger comics which could be UK Marvel editions and some of the boxes were normal US size .
Hopefully they will be on display when I go back next week.

As a bargain buyer I always like to check the comics I buy on Ebay and going through the list I often find comics I buy for a pound selling for 6 or 7 pounds but then as I go further through the list there will always be someone selling it for 99p.
Bubble burst! :)
Last edited by abacus on 05 Oct 2016, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Adam Eterno wrote:Thanks Phil. What do you reckon?
I think you're right that both covers are printed red/yellow/blue without the usual black plate, like Smash! and Pow! during the 1960s.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Thanks Phil. What do you reckon?
I think you're right that both covers are printed red/yellow/blue without the usual black plate, like Smash! and Pow! during the 1960s.
Maybe there's a 3rd issue!?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Not so much bought but gifted to me by people over the last week:

Viz - The Sausage Sandwich (already have this one but it was a nice gesture)
The Beezer No. 1640 (1987)
The Beano No. 2341, 2342, 2343, 2348, 2354, 2358, 2373 and 2374 (1987-1988)

Not bad for free :)
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Nice pickup on the Target #1 and Lookin #1 both with gift!

That vintage lot hasnt arrived yet, hopefully they'll be at least something it in thats worthwhile...
Cheers for that. The Target #1 is pretty common and cheap but I just hadn't managed to get one. The Look-in I'm really chuffed with as I'd not seen it for sale before. How did you get on with those vintage comics?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Delivered this morning and even though it cost a very pretty penny, it is on my top 20 "wants" of #1 comics......Thriller Comics #1 The Three Musketeers from Amalgamated Press in 1951. I haven't told the Mrs how much I paid for it yet, I've just been emphasising the number of comics sold this week!

Other purchases are:
Top Three #1, Famepress 1961
Magic Comic #1, DCT - 1976
Another couple of Marvel, Stephen King Graphic Novels - The Dark Tower (I have 6 now)
Rainbow #1 with gift, London Editions 1989
Gordon the Gopher #1, London Editions 1989
The Thriller NN, Foldes 1946 (I'm hoping it's #1 as it's not numbered and later issues were)
Pecos Bill #1, T&P - 1970/71
Frankenstein NN, 1 and only, T&P - 1963 - improvement in quality on the one I have.
Valiant Summer Special 1977 - my 6th one so almost halfway to getting all of them.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Sorted through the four US comic boxes in the charity shop for my weekly reading matter and couldn't resist buying the Air fighter reprint comic even though the stories are in black and white.
Also bought two secret origins double headers , I have a few of these already and prefer reading these stories rather than just having a description of the characters from some comic encyclopedia.
all comics were a pound each.
Last edited by abacus on 12 Oct 2016, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:couldn't resist buying the Air fighter reprint comic even though the stories are in black and white.
What's wrong with black and white, abacus?

abacus

Post by abacus »

Phoenix wrote:
abacus wrote:couldn't resist buying the Air fighter reprint comic even though the stories are in black and white.
What's wrong with black and white, abacus?
You might ask what is wrong with black and white tv's? Answer- nothing ,unless you try to sell them. :)
Last edited by abacus on 13 Oct 2016, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

See, the originals were in colour and I prefer them like that. I remember being surprised that Eclipse decided to reprint these great stories in b&w. However, this was a relatively cheap way of having the stories. The 6 issues in the run were reprints from Air Fighters Comics (Hillman) 1942/3 and featured some good art - I'm a bit of a Fred Kida fan.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:See, the originals were in colour and I prefer them like that.
OK, thanks. Presumably the originals are as easy to find as hens' teeth, or extremely expensive when you do find them. Not my area of expertise obviously. :)

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Not quite "hens' teeth" but they are not that easy to find in the UK. I have some Airboy comics ( the title changed to Airboy comics after the war) which I bought years ago at London cons. Fortunately, if you wish to read both Air fighters and Airboy comics, they are pd and are available on the internet, completely free.
By the way, the original muck monster appeared in Air Fighters. This was The Heap who was a fan favourite decades before the arrival of Swamp Thing; Man Thing and even Skywald's different version of The heap in their Psycho horror comic magazine.

SID

Post by SID »

I bought the first three issues of Krazy Comic as I am thinking of collecting it.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).