What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

big bad bri

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

bought my first ever broons and oor wullie annuals seeing as morrissons had them at £2 each.

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

happy new year everyone!
Just won a free gift that im told was free in a 1970 issue of Whizzer & Chips. The free gift was the 'Instant Disguise Kit' which has a ginger moustash, green glasses with ginger eyebrows and a connecting nose. all housed in a illusrated white paper bag.
anyone know which issue date this was for?
thanks Johnp

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

irishjohnp wrote:happy new year everyone!
Just won a free gift that im told was free in a 1970 issue of Whizzer & Chips. The free gift was the 'Instant Disguise Kit' which has a ginger moustash, green glasses with ginger eyebrows and a connecting nose. all housed in a illusrated white paper bag.
thanks Johnp
Monday 28th February 1970. I've only seen a few of them come on the market and they have sold for between £25 and £40 usually
Last edited by Adam Eterno on 08 Jan 2017, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

We got 5 Alan Class in tip top condition and I also picked up 7 DC comics, 2 Rebirth and 5 others that took my fancy.

However, I did leave behind 2 Eerie and 1 Creepy as they were a bit rich for my blood. In another charity shop, I left behind the 1981 Penny Annual with a really nice Blunder Girl strip and I also passed on the 1981 Cheeky Annual that was going for £3.50 in another shop.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A quiet couple of weeks which has allowed me the time to get loads of duplicates loaded onto Ebay to help pay for the purchases!

My purchases include:

Captain 3D #1 with free gift glasses - Harvey - 1953
Valiant Summer Special 1975 - another one to the collection
Battle Weekly Summer Special - 1977
Toby #2 with free gift - IPC - 1976
Marvel Visionares #1 with free gift - 1988
Read to ME #1 with free gift - Polystyle - 1977
Champ #1 with free gift - DCT - 1984
+ 100 ish earlier edition Air War, Battle and War Picture Libraries that will probably be read and then sold on as I don't collect them.......yet.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Again cycled the 4/5 miles to the charity shop for my weekly reading material.
Plenty of comics I wanted to buy but nothing with that extra wow factor.Got----
MARVEL GODZILLA 1977---------------£1
This was a must buy not because it might be a good read or that it was a crappy monster in a japanese movie which I could never understand why it became so popular but because I had not seen it in comic form before.
KITCHEN SINK COMIX CAPTAIN STERNN 1993-------£1
DC SWAMP THING 1987----------------------------£1
MARVEL CONAN THE BARBARIAN 1983-------------'£1
Bought a Conan last week that had the superior art of scottish born Mike Docherty this weeks Conan is by someone of a lower artistic standard.
It is give and take but I realise that I have been giving £12 or more each month to this charity for quite a while.
Comics I would have liked to have bought from the £1 boxes today but didn't ,included STAR TREK, PSI FORCE I have enjoyed this series so far,BLACKHAWK, E-MAN,but in keeping to a maximum £4 weekly comic budget some of these will have to wait till next week.
Since my childhood comics reading was in the 50's I have a preference for annuals from that time but rarely do they turn up at charity shops and if they are in second hand book shops they are quite pricey and for that reason looking forward to the carboot season that starts at easter to find collector bargains.

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

Adam Eterno wrote:
irishjohnp wrote:happy new year everyone!
thanks Johnp
Monday 28th February 1970. I've only seen a few of them come on the market and they have sold for between £25 and £40 usually
thanks. i'll have to keep my eyes open for it

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Some of the later Godzilla comics are pretty entertaining with some really terrific covers.

Few purchases from me his week, all buys off eBay:

Tammy #1, dunno why I bought this as I don't really follow girls comics but I've never had it so I thought why not... Came with a Bunty '72 Summer special, a weird looking Alice in Wonderland comic type thing which I've never seen before and a later copy of Bunty. All for £14 so seemed an ok price.

Also picked up the '66 Beano Summer Special and a Tic Tac Toe #1.

And lastly a pile of 18 various Bronze Age American comics which included a Werewolf by Night #32 so was a good buy at £19.

I've been eyeing up some of the full volumes of the first Eagle to maybe get bound, but I know once I do a couple I'll want the lot so I'll have to think about it.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote: and a Tic Tac Toe #1.
Looks like you got a bargain on that! I didn't come across that on my meanderings through Ebay.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Just bought the whole run of the U.K. Planet of the Apes #1-#123, plus all the Mighty World of Marvel issues it carried on into #231-#246. So that's the complete set in one fell swoop. £46 the lot, 33p an issue. Happy days.

Love me some Ape action!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Just bought the whole run of the U.K. Planet of the Apes #1-#123, plus all the Mighty World of Marvel issues it carried on into #231-#246. So that's the complete set in one fell swoop. £46 the lot, 33p an issue. Happy days.

Love me some Ape action!
I saw that lot and the price they went for. Great buy! I have the set in NM so didn't go for it but definitely would have if I didn't have them!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Yeah I'm well happy to get the whole set in one fell swoop, some of the later covers are awesome!

abacus

Post by abacus »

Back at the wednesday charity comic boxes where they regularly add new stock and that comics I intended buying have to be put on hold because the newer items interest me.Got--------

MARVEL Nick Fury agent of S.H.I.E.L.D No.5 1968---------------£1
MARVEL Nick Fury agent of S.H.I.E.L.D No7 1968---------------£1
DC CONAN the barbarian 1986, another one to the collection( prefer the hero and damsel in distress ones)------£1
DC SWAMP THING 1987 (like the artwork)------------------------£1

The stock that I found added today included a few more Nick Fury although some seemed to be part of a series , whereas I try to collect full stories .a few more CONAN were added and a few called SLEEPWALKER which I was interested in but kept rigidly to my £4 spending limit.

Started the day with a smile from the modern arfcomic strip which has dropped further down the page from the first post it was on this morning, on this blog which most comic surfers probably know about .
http://allthingsger.blogspot.co.uk/
This blog also features art by that well known comic artist REG BARLETT .What! you've never heard of him?
Where have you guys been?
http://allthingsger.blogspot.co.uk/sear ... adio%20Fun
This guy seems more interested in the art than the facts, but I like the easy going style the great art examples he shows making it one of my favourite blogs to visit each day.
I am fairly certain that he has some examples from film fun and that they are in the archives of his somewhere if you can find them.
I found them---------
http://allthingsger.blogspot.co.uk/sear ... Film%20Fun

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Busy couple of weeks culminating in a bunch of comics for my birthday this weekend from Mrs Eterno!

First of all the pressies (She "accidently" found my list of comics wanted from 30th Century!):

Rangers - NN (1 and only) - Streamline - 1950
Daffy Duck – Top Sellers – No Number (#1) – 1972
Blazing West - NN (1 and only) - WDL - 1951
Reward Comics - Arnold – NN (1 and only) - 1955
Family Favourites Comic Weekly #1 - Miller - 1954
Hot Rod and Speedway #1 - Streamline – 1953
Mummy NN (1 and only) - Top Sellers – 1963
Dead Eye Western – NN (#1) Streamline - 1951
Davy Crockett #1 - Miller - 1956

I've managed to also buy:

Gunhawks Western #1 - Mick Angelo - 1960
Dr Who Weekly #4 with free gift - 1979
The Hooded Horseman #1 - Streamline - 1953
Valiant Annual 1965 - 6 to go!
TV Picture Stories #1 - William Tell - Pearson - 1958
Free Gift cards from Hulk comic #2 - Marvel - 1979
Free Gift booklet from Champion #3 - IPC - 1966
Free Gift Hurricane Howler from Hurricane #2 - IPC - 1964
Playhour #1 with free gift - Amalgamated - 1954
Bobo Bunny #1 - IPC - 1969
3 x Smash comics (still a lot to go)
AND......the entire set of 87 Odhams/IPC POW! comics from 1967/8. They look to be in really great condition so there will be a lot of swapping in and out from my existing collection!

Really chuffed with many of my purchases and pressies and looking forward to the POW comics arriving! I'm also looking at a big buy this week of one of my top 20 "wants" but I've been beaten so many times before that I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:pressies
This is in no way a criticism, merely an open enquiry into why the spelling 'pressies' should be so widespread when it does not match the generally-agreed pronunciation of the word, which would require the spelling to be 'prezzies'.