What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

philcom55

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by philcom55 »

abacus wrote:...real name Antonio Lupatella(italian) the name probably being a literal translation to english Antonio(Tony) Lupatella (wolf, lupine).According to online sources he worked U.K. comics JACK AND JILL, PLAYHOUR , and some Sooty annuals.
A fine artist.
Here's an example of Antonio's British work from the 1961 Harold Hare Annual.

Last edited by philcom55 on 15 Feb 2017, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Adding to philcom's lovely post, here's the info. available on Lambiek:-
https://www.lambiek.net/artists/l/lupatelli_antonio.htm

Also, if the Airboy is one of the reprint books, you're in for a treat because there's probably some tasty Fred Kida art in there. And, if the Crimson Avenger is part of the 4 issue mini series, I have it and it's a nice read.

abacus

Post by abacus »

paw broon wrote:Adding to philcom's lovely post, here's the info. available on Lambiek:-
https://www.lambiek.net/artists/l/lupatelli_antonio.htm

Also, if the Airboy is one of the reprint books, you're in for a treat because there's probably some tasty Fred Kida art in there. And, if the Crimson Avenger is part of the 4 issue mini series, I have it and it's a nice read.
Don't think so Paw here's pic.I usually buy complete stories only.

(Reply to Phil )Nice example of A.L. art Phil.
Last edited by abacus on 15 Feb 2017, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Sorry, not the books I was thinking of :oops:

abacus

Post by abacus »

paw broon wrote:Sorry, not the books I was thinking of :oops:
Actually this Crimson Avenger is a 4 part mini series I just saw fin at the end and assumed it was a one off, still I will be able to see how it concludes :) When searching through the comic boxes I check for the endings and don't always get it right trying to avoid part works.There were a few AIRBOY comics that I passed up because they were part of a series and unfortunately the one I picked up today seems to be in the middle of a series the other comics I bought are ok.

abacus

Post by abacus »

A lot of DC millennium and Marvel milestone reprints in Oxfam today all at 99p each.
Didn't buy any Marvel ones which were X-men, Fantastic four types all printed in the updated method but did buy these DC which kept to the orignal style printing.
I probably only bought a quarter of those on display and had to decide which to buy and which to leave.
DC planned to print one a week in the millennium year and if that is so I now have about 15 out of the 52..
Will now reduce mid week spending on comics to keep in budget.
Last edited by abacus on 21 Feb 2017, 08:27, edited 3 times in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I have been trawling the charity shops as I need bookcases. I found no bookcases but I did find 3 Warren Comics from 1973, the programme from the 1978 Dudley D Watkins exhibition in Dundee, The St Trinians Story from 1961 and the Diamond Comics Art Catalogue from the 2006 September Auction from one shop. And four Beau Peep books from another!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:I have been trawling the charity shops as I need bookcases. I found no bookcases but I did find 3 Warren Comics from 1973, the programme from the 1978 Dudley D Watkins exhibition in Dundee, The St Trinians Story from 1961 and the Diamond Comics Art Catalogue from the 2006 September Auction from one shop. And four Beau Peep books from another!

Were there no bookcases or did the comics distract you from your search!? :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:
colcool007 wrote:I have been trawling the charity shops as I need bookcases. I found no bookcases but I did find 3 Warren Comics from 1973, the programme from the 1978 Dudley D Watkins exhibition in Dundee, The St Trinians Story from 1961 and the Diamond Comics Art Catalogue from the 2006 September Auction from one shop. And four Beau Peep books from another!
We have no bookcases today! :lol: There was one but it was just too over-priced to be VFM. And that was after checking out six different charity shops!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:
We have no bookcases today! :lol: There was one but it was just too over-priced to be VFM. And that was after checking out six different charity shops!
I bought half a dozen bookcases a few years ago and I just searched on Ebay every week for people selling them within a 10 mile radius of me. It took 3 months or so but I picked up some real bargains such as £1.44 for a 4" x 4" solid wood case that matched an existing one! You need the vehicle to pick them up though.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:I bought half a dozen bookcases a few years ago and I just searched on Ebay every week for people selling them within a 10 mile radius of me. It took 3 months or so but I picked up some real bargains such as £1.44 for a 4" x 4" solid wood case that matched an existing one! You need the vehicle to pick them up though.
I've been checking Facebay, Ebay and Gumtree since Christmas. I have picked up a couple of freebies but others I have had to pay for. We started just before Christmas and we have picked up 6 tall ones and one waist height since then. However, we still need a load more before we have enough bookcases for all the books and comics!

Thankfully since the last car died, I bought a Mondeo and that is huge! So there is plenty of room in the back of that for bookcases once I drop the back seat.

And I may have just tracked down another!

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

managed to win a bid on a framed Whizzer & Chips comic dated 25th Oct 1969. The seller only listed it as 'Framed Whizzer & Chips comic'.
So looks like I have picked up Whizzer & Chips issue #2 for £14.99
They claim it was framed years ago & they think it is complete. worth a try.

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

Yup thats the stuff I dropped off to that shop in Dunfermline (except the Beau Peep books). glad a collector got them. The Diamond Catalogue was a great book. You must have missed out on the large pile of american comics I dropped off a week or so before. I had dropped off a large pile of Buster comics a few weeks before that. Was going to drop off my collection of Whizzer & Chips & Whoopee comics (as I'm moving house) but I came to my senses. thankfully!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

irishjohnp wrote:
Yup thats the stuff I dropped off to that shop in Dunfermline (except the Beau Peep books). glad a collector got them. The Diamond Catalogue was a great book. You must have missed out on the large pile of american comics I dropped off a week or so before. I had dropped off a large pile of Buster comics a few weeks before that. Was going to drop off my collection of Whizzer & Chips & Whoopee comics (as I'm moving house) but I came to my senses. thankfully!
John, I have dropped you a PM.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A mixed but busy week:

Sea War Picture Library #1 - Pearsons - 1962 - At last!
Valiant Annual 1981
Rampage Weekly - Marvel - Full set 1-34. They arrived yesterday wrapped only in a plastic carrier bag with a label on! Probably the worst packaging I've ever received comics in. I was so angry I still haven't contacted the seller or left feedback in case I say something I'll regret!
The Flash #1 - Top Sellers - 1962 - Very happy with this one
The Thing #1 + free gift - Marvel - 1984
Li'l Abner #1 (and only) - L Miller - 1945 - Another 1940s one shot
Pluck #1 - 1956 - Sadly when it arrived this morning, there is a big chunk out of the back cover so I'll be attempting to return it :(
Air War Picture Library #1 - Pearsons - 1961 - Chuffed with this as well
Picture Stories of World War II #1 - Pearsons - 1960 - Hopefully an upgrade on the old tatty copy I picked up last year.
Jimmy Olsen Double Double #1 - T&P - 1967
Adventure Double Double #1 - T&P - 1967
Seven #1 - Gresham - 1971
Western Rough Riders #1 - Streamline - 1955

1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's!