What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by tony ingram »

koollectablz wrote:Have you seen what that full run of Vulcan went for on compal?

I bought a full run this year on eBay for £40.

The compal price was incredible.
I know. Even individual issues are normally pretty pricy these days.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Have you seen what that full run of Vulcan went for on compal?

I couldn't believe the price! I thought it may have been a Scottish set which are worth that much more but they weren't. Maybe the buyer thought they were!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Adam Eterno wrote:

I couldn't believe the price! I thought it may have been a Scottish set which are worth that much more but they weren't. Maybe the buyer thought they were!
Well, they're worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay, really...

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

It seems Compal will have a scottish set in their next auction.

So that should be interesting...

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Wow - £30 a pop for those Vulcans. Crazy money.
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This morning I drove over to Border Bookshop in Todmorden for a last rummage round before Carole Collinge goes into retirement. She has sold the shop and all its stock, and had told me that the takeover is imminent, probably next Monday or Tuesday. It will remain a bookshop but if I do go back after the transfer of ownership the visit will certainly not feel the same as it has done over these many years. My nostalgic mate Billy Nicholls from the Wirral came over promptly so we got away about half nine. The journey took about an hour, rather more coming back as torrential rain was turning the M6 into a lake. I picked up a few bits and pieces, which included the Oor Wullie Summer Special for 1993 and a Special Souvenir Edition of the first number of Boy's Own Paper from 18 January 1879, but my main item was a bound volume of the full run of Tornado, which includes the Summer Special. for just over £55. Not my usual sort of purchase I must admit but it looked interesting, and the condition is near mint. I'm looking forward to investigating it.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Bought 76 different issues of Shiver and Shake for £30 inc postage.

I think there's only 79 issues in the run so hopefully finding the missing three shouldn't be too much of a trial.

What's the betting it's the first three missing..? :headbash:

We shall see when they turn up...

These could be a good run to maybe get bound as a three volume set? :?:

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Bought 9 or 10 issues of Jinty from 1980 (via 30th Century Comics) that should fill all the gaps I have for that year! Will be very nice to see them when they arrive this coming week... :)
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Although it's nice to own every issue of a comic that was ever published I must admit there's a part of me that also feels sad whenever I complete a collection - knowing I'll never again have the thrill of running another elusive issue from that series to earth! :/

Blake Edmonds

Post by Blake Edmonds »

Over the last couple of weeks I've managed to get complete years of Roy Of The Rovers 1986/87/88. The last issue I got back in the day was Dec 21, 1985.... and finally an eBay auction appeared for Dec 28. Was torture waiting for the auction to close, but I managed to win it to complete my 1985 set. When that arrives I can continue where I left off all those years ago (after a quick refresher).

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

philcom55 wrote:Although it's nice to own every issue of a comic that was ever published I must admit there's a part of me that also feels sad whenever I complete a collection - knowing I'll never again have the thrill of running another elusive issue from that series to earth! :/
I agree with this sentiment very much.

To the extent that when I've completed a collection of something and have had the warm glow for a while, I'll then tend to move on to a different title and let the others go.

It is all 'just stuff' after all.

Its eough for me to know that I've 'owned' something, even if its just for a while.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Blake Edmonds wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I've managed to get complete years of Roy Of The Rovers 1986/87/88. The last issue I got back in the day was Dec 21, 1985.... and finally an eBay auction appeared for Dec 28. Was torture waiting for the auction to close, but I managed to win it to complete my 1985 set. When that arrives I can continue where I left off all those years ago (after a quick refresher).
it is torture :lol: i only need 1 issue to complete the who;e weekly run and never see it offered and will not buy a complete 1983 run just to finish.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

whizzer and chips issue 1 was just signed for .

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:This morning I drove over to Border Bookshop in Todmorden for a last rummage round before Carole Collinge goes into retirement. She has sold the shop and all its stock, and had told me that the takeover is imminent, probably next Monday or Tuesday. It will remain a bookshop but if I do go back after the transfer of ownership the visit will certainly not feel the same as it has done over these many years. My nostalgic mate Billy Nicholls from the Wirral came over promptly so we got away about half nine. The journey took about an hour, rather more coming back as torrential rain was turning the M6 into a lake. I picked up a few bits and pieces, which included the Oor Wullie Summer Special for 1993 and a Special Souvenir Edition of the first number of Boy's Own Paper from 18 January 1879, but my main item was a bound volume of the full run of Tornado, which includes the Summer Special. for just over £55. Not my usual sort of purchase I must admit but it looked interesting, and the condition is near mint. I'm looking forward to investigating it.

The Tornado volume is a good price for the set. Carole says that a lady by the name of Holly MacDixon is taking over so hopefully she can take the shop forwards. I don't think Carole's heart has been in it for some time so I hope she enjoys her retirement.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
philcom55 wrote:Although it's nice to own every issue of a comic that was ever published I must admit there's a part of me that also feels sad whenever I complete a collection - knowing I'll never again have the thrill of running another elusive issue from that series to earth! :/
I agree with this sentiment very much.

To the extent that when I've completed a collection of something and have had the warm glow for a while, I'll then tend to move on to a different title and let the others go.

It is all 'just stuff' after all.

Its eough for me to know that I've 'owned' something, even if its just for a while.
I agree too! The thrill of the chase is part of the fun. I'm enjoying filling in gaps in 4 or 5 sets currently. It took me a couple of years and dozens of purchases to get the full POW! set but when completed, I've hardly looked at them.