What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

irishjohnp

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by irishjohnp »

Tiny Tots comic #440 - 21st March 1936
Attachments
007.JPG
009.JPG
008.JPG

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

Illustrated Chips #2799 - 21st Dec 1946 - Christmas issue
Attachments
004.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

and some more Bubbles Comics.... Think I have enough of these now :lol:

#801 - 22nd Aug 1936
#800 - 15th Aug 1936
#792 - 20th June 1936
#775 - 22nd Feb 1936
#593 - 27th Aug 1932
Attachments
016.JPG

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

Adam Eterno wrote:Busy weekend!

30 Commando comics around the #4000 mark filling a few more gaps
6 Smash comics from 1967 doing the same
Masters of The Universe #1 - 1987
Tarzan Monthly #1 - 1977
Adventures in 3.D #1 - Streamline 1953 with free gift 3.D glasses! - I'm looking forward to receiving these!

Dr Who weekly #1 with free gift 1979, Valiant Summer Special 1978, Starlord Summer Special 1978 - all were going really cheap so if not better than the copies I have, these will be sold on.

Tarzan Comic Vol. 2 #1 - Donald F. Peters - 1951
Action War Picture Library #1-30 (-1) - MV - 1965
Battle Action in Pictures #1 - Miller - 1959
Double Duo #1 - Williams - 1976 - :D - I've been after this for a while
Mandrake the Magician #1 & 2 - World Adventure Library - 1967 - I still need The Phantom, Bonanza and Tarzan #1s to have all of the 8 WAL #1s although this one wasn't in the best condition.
Sabre War Picture Library #1-10 - 1971 - I now have all the Sabre #1s
Western Club Library #1-10 - 1976 - I now have all the Club #1s
Lassie #1-4 - World Distributors - 1951 - really nice old comics

I really need to get out more!
wheew! I thought I was the only one who bought in bulk!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

this week i got my 1st victor comics about 340 issues and yesterday won about 180 from phil's auction so over 500 in a week not bad

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

irishjohnp wrote:Illustrated Chips #1213 - 29th November 1913 - Christmas issue (in November?)
D C Thomsons wouldn't have thought that unusual. They tended to produce their Christmas issues of The Big Five at the rate of one per week, so if there were only four weeks in December one inevitably came out in November.

blaing

Post by blaing »

'Tis finally here. Arriving today were the last two issues of Sparky I was after (Nos. 77 and 121).

This now completes my Sparky collection.

As it was part of a huge bundle, I'll spend the next day or so sorting out the duplicates and I will announce my final Sparky duplicates sale (which will include a few late era Beezers in the mix.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:this week i got my 1st victor comics about 340 issues and yesterday won about 180 from phil's auction so over 500 in a week not bad
That'll keep you busy for a while!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

blaing wrote:'Tis finally here. Arriving today were the last two issues of Sparky I was after (Nos. 77 and 121).

As it was part of a huge bundle, I'll spend the next day or so sorting out the duplicates and I will announce my final Sparky duplicates sale (which will include a few late era Beezers in the mix.
What s great feeling! As a collector though, you may need a new target now the Sparkys are complete!?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Ah, but have you got any of the 156 issues of Sparky that were only distributed in Scotland? :)

(Just kidding by the way! :wink: )

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Well, you learn something every day. I had no idea there was a Scottish Sparky. McAlpine doesn't list it in the guide and I don't remember ever seeing one when I had the shop. But I might have done and not realised it :oops:
Was the content or indicia or header different? How would a fan know which was which?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:I had no idea there was a Scottish Sparky. McAlpine doesn't list it in the guide and I don't remember ever seeing one when I had the shop. How would a fan know which was which?
Presumably by the extremely rare Scottish versions with their Och aye the noos and their tam o'shanters. An alternative test could be to ask the fan how it is that Queen's Park play their home games at the atmospheric Hampden Park to no atmosphere at all, sparky or otherwise. A man of your calibre, Paw, will soon winkle out the frauds and the McAlpine-type incompetents. :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

paw broon wrote:Well, you learn something every day. I had no idea there was a Scottish Sparky. McAlpine doesn't list it in the guide and I don't remember ever seeing one when I had the shop. But I might have done and not realised it :oops:
Was the content or indicia or header different? How would a fan know which was which?
Every issue of Sparky was Scottish. It's the English edition that's rare. :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:
big bad bri wrote:this week i got my 1st victor comics about 340 issues and yesterday won about 180 from phil's auction so over 500 in a week not bad
That'll keep you busy for a while!
i have 1000s comics to read whicjh i know will never happen i tend o wait until i complete a set so have read every whoopee jackpot etc but have started whizzer and chips as i prob need less than 100 but which is a pain where serials are concerned.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:
blaing wrote:'Tis finally here. Arriving today were the last two issues of Sparky I was after (Nos. 77 and 121).

What s great feeling! As a collector though, you may need a new target now the Sparkys are complete!?
i thought bruce had got bored and was selling of all his comics i prob read the posts wrong :lol: