What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Another 103 Commandos arrived this morning. 122 to go
12 Hurricane comics to fill more gaps
Reptilicus #1 from 1961 (as seen below) which is more of a US #1 with a L Miller 6d sticker on it!
Out of this World #1 - T&P - 1961
Attachments
Rep.jpg

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Nice. I have the film. It's not very good -not up to Godzilla standards :lol:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A bundle of DC Thomson Weekly Welcomes arrived in the post yesterday. A couple from 1955 had a Dudley Watkins strip in them. Was this unique to this magazine or a reprint?
Attachments
peter pye.jpg

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Originally printed in the Dandy in 1942, Steve.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Drat.

But thanks for the info.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Going back to Reptilicus and the added L Miller 6d sticker, Miller had the rights to distribute Charlton comics in U.K. but after a while - anyone know when? - T&P had the distribution rights and Charlton titles displayed a round T&P stamp with 6p or 7p inside below the T&P. There was also a "real" printed on price placed right beside the American number and month box which said, "UK" with a pence price below. You sometimes find Charlton issues with an actual sticker over the "UK" price notice. These stickers are really annoying as it's almost impossible to get them off without damaging the cover. Excuse my geekiness but I find all this stuff interesting :oops:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

paw broon wrote:Going back to Reptilicus and the added L Miller 6d sticker, Miller had the rights to distribute Charlton comics in U.K. but after a while - anyone know when? - T&P had the distribution rights and Charlton titles displayed a round T&P stamp with 6p or 7p inside below the T&P. There was also a "real" printed on price placed right beside the American number and month box which said, "UK" with a pence price below. You sometimes find Charlton issues with an actual sticker over the "UK" price notice. These stickers are really annoying as it's almost impossible to get them off without damaging the cover. Excuse my geekiness but I find all this stuff interesting :oops:
I thought the bulk of T&P's stuff was in the 60s, ie pre decimal. In the 70s it was more Top Sellers as a branding but to be honest, I'm not sure at all. I have loads of T&P stuff to check for you though!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

At the risk of boring the socks off everyone else, Reptilicus #1 was released in Aug. 1961 in the USA and presumably a few months later in the UK, given that it would have come over as sea freight or ballast. Miller were still operating, producing not only their own comics and American reprints, but also distributing Charlton comics here, with that Miller pence box right over where the American price would have been. By the '70's, it seems to be all T&P boxes or stamps. Looking through my Charlton collection, or at least parts of it, I seem to have mainly American priced issues, but I did come across a King issue of The Phantom bearing a T&P stamp and that would be around 1966. Can't find a Charlton Phantom (they took over publishing the character after King) with a British price stamp.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thomson's did a lot of this recycling of stuff in unexpected places. Another Watkins' Dandy strip Danny Longlegs was reprinted in this way in the Dundee paper The Evening Telegraph in the 1990's.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As far as British distribution of Charlton comics goes there was also a period round about !967/8 when their comics were sold in branches of Woolworths. I remember buying a lot of the 'Action Heroes' titles there, including the first four issues of Ditko's Blue Beetle.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Thomson's did a lot of this recycling of stuff in unexpected places. Another Watkins' Dandy strip Danny Longlegs was reprinted in this way in the Dundee paper The Evening Telegraph in the 1990's.
Most of the Funday Post during the 1980s was also reprint with Nero and Zero and Keyhole Kate to name but a few.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have hundreds of Sunday Post Fun Sections from about 1974 to the late 80s when it was a cut out and fold four page comic. It did have Desperate Dan reprints for a while. Now that Oor Wullie and the Broons are on two separate pages I no longer buy it as they are two awkwardly formatted to keep. It would be a good idea to have an online petition to bring back the Fun Section.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Walking from the train station at Rhyl spotted a comic shop on a right hand side street.Didn't get much chance to look around( the wife ) but did notice boxes of 2000AD on the floor while grabbing ten U.S 80's comics from their 50p boxes.
Last year they had a lot of Archie comics in an antiques warehouse in Llandudno and they had a few left this year they are not my favourite comics but picked three at a pound each , from the 70's they were Laugh,Jughead and Sabrina the teenage witch, one that I enjoy reading.
Also from the same warehouse got the nicely illustrated book
A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION (Tiger books 1986) in it Dan Dare,Jeff Hawke, and Garth get a mention.
The Charity shop I visit had a stock of U.S.War comics a few weeks ago and luckily for me I was able to buy 13 at a pound each over a three week period as there didn't seem to be any other takers , these were mainly 80's G.I. Combats, Also picked up a number of 70/80's U.S. comics at carboots.(am I allowed to say U.S. comics?: :) )
My son rang yesterday to say he had picked up some
eleven comics from a carboot sale , he says these consist mainly of 80's Toppers and Beezers etc.I will see these when he next calls and brings them .
Last edited by abacus on 02 Sep 2017, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I popped over the Channel and along the way picked up two fine volumes commerating the valiant raid on Dieppe by Canadian troops in 1942. It was far from a success and this is very evident in the pages as the disaster plays out. My grandmother used to tell me that the troops stationed in Worthing went out as part of the mission but very few returned.
Attachments
IMG_0816.JPG

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

The complete Harlem Heroes (2000ad reprint) - £3 charity shop bargain
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/