What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by abacus »

The local sunday car boot sale has not really got started this year,with today's turnout limited to just a few stalls, perhaps it's the frosty start that put people off.

Anyway I couldn't see much on the first wander around but decided to dig into two boxes that were topped with newspapers on my second wander.
Beneath the newspapers one of the boxes had a large number of 1975/6 Dandy comics ( there were 150 I was told by the stall holder) and the other box contained a large number of Look and Learn.

Well being the big spender that I am I decided to buy two Dandy comics at 50p each.

Interestingly enough the plastic sleaves the comics were in were imprinted with the word Woolworths a reminder of the ex high street store.

SID

Post by SID »

Cor!! Buster Humour Special.

Am currently spending Easter with relatives down south. Popped to the town I grew up in and spotted the special in the local WHSmiths - the same shop where my mum used to get the original Buster when I was a child. Of course I left with a copy in hand.

Verdict:A bloody good laugh.

Easily worthly of being a regular publication like Beano.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

abacus

Post by abacus »

Visited two car boot sales today while melting in the heat of the sun and wondering why comic related material was as difficult to find as looking for a needle in a haystack.

I picked up the Beezer 1966 annual for a £1 mainly because I couldn't find anything else.

I did thoroughly search the stalls and I don't think I need to go to Specsavers. :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

A collection I have been meaning to complete will soon be in my hands. A friend has found the full run of Football PSM and is picking them up for me tomorrow. If I am really lucky, it will also have a copy of the rarely seen Football Picture Story Monthly Summer Special from 1988 to give me a spare!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Someone has issues 1-52 of Tiger on eBay but it isn't me. I'd sell the first ten or so individually.

blaing

Post by blaing »

I bought yesterday two issues of Buster (13/1/1968, and 20/1/1968) which included the first Buster and Giggle.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Someone has issues 1-52 of Tiger on eBay but it isn't me. I'd sell the first ten or so individually.

As you know, I've been after #1 for a while but I managed to recently buy #1-#42 on Ebay so I won't be bidding on this set now. He reckons that he's had an offer of £200 which he rejected. It's on £139 currently so I'll be interested to see what they go for as I paid less than that for my issues.

Before you think of loading your Tigers on Ebay, it might be worth having a word with our own Hawkeye as I know he's been looking for Tiger #1 as well. You'll save the ebay and Paypal 15% charges!

blaing

Post by blaing »

Just got word of the second of the six specials bundle from Rebellion has been sent (the 2000AD villains special)

I should have this by the middle of May.

SID

Post by SID »

blaing wrote:Just got word of the second of the six specials bundle from Rebellion has been sent (the 2000AD villains special)

That's great news as I have ordered the bundle as well.

The second (and last) volume of 2000 AD's M.A.C.H.1 collected stories arrived the other day. Great book. Still is one of my favourite all-time strips in the comic. Sad that they finished it.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Ron Turner's Space Ace Vol 12, with colouring by John Ridgway.
Reviewed at Down The Tubes: https://downthetubes.net/?p=106510

SID

Post by SID »

blaing wrote:Just got word of the second of the six specials bundle from Rebellion has been sent (the 2000AD villains special)

The villain's special came through today which is a good read (especially since I have a gum infection and have manfully spent an hour in bed).

Chris Weston's nods to Carlos is touching.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Picked up the Cor!!Buster special, and the latest Comic Scene. Both great reads.

However, Titan seem to have a distribution problem, as WHSmith still had the previous issue of Doctor Who Comic 8 days after the new one should've come out. They also didn't have Simpsons Comics, issue 21 of which should've been out the same day as DWC, and I've missed issue 20 because, it seems, they never got them in. :x

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Got yesterday the Marvel Essential Doctor Strange vol 1 , I now have 31 of the Essentials books mostly 60s superhero and 70s Nonsuperhero titles. I quite enjoy the b/w reprints with DC showcase issues being my favourite with well over 80 copies it’s a good inexpensive way of reading rare titles which I never saw when these came out. Just wish that you could get Victor, hotspur and other classic uk comics in this format, still I’m enjoying the British comic strip graphic novels that are now being released with Mach1 vol 2 next on my list :D

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I picked up the Cor!! Buster special at WH Smith in Worthing today. It was on the very top shelf of the labelled Comic section - next to Viz... and H&E magazine. For any children less than 6 feet tall there were some more issues next to the Doctor Who and The Dark Side magazines.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Captain underpants wrote:Got yesterday the Marvel Essential Doctor Strange vol 1 , I now have 31 of the Essentials books mostly 60s superhero and 70s Nonsuperhero titles. I quite enjoy the b/w reprints with DC showcase issues being my favourite with well over 80 copies it’s a good inexpensive way of reading rare titles which I never saw when these came out. Just wish that you could get Victor, hotspur and other classic uk comics in this format, still I’m enjoying the British comic strip graphic novels that are now being released with Mach1 vol 2 next on my list :D
Hints were dropped at the Art of Ian Kennedy launch that we might see the return of at least one titled character, but I will see if there are any plans to do such a thing as that's not a terrible idea for D C Thomson to play with.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!