What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

starscape

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by starscape »

abacus wrote:At some point during the production of American comics someone decided that instead of having one super hero why not have two super heroes working together,then someone else thought we can have three or four super heroes together and so on.
This was the original reason Captain 'Shazam!' Marvel was so called. Originally, he was supposed to be the leader of a team of supermen but then the publishers got cold feet. Who would be interested in multiple heroes when they cold just read about one?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

abacus wrote:At some point during the production of American comics someone decided that instead of having one super hero why not have two super heroes working together,then someone else thought we can have three or four super heroes together and so on.
The Uk could team up dennis the menace with desperate dan :)
Today at the charity shop bought ---

DC SCOOBY DOO! Team -up volume 1 for £1.50p this has Scooby and Batman and Robin on the cover.

At the same charity shop in the 50p section they had 5 manga magazines these were similar in size to Argos extra catalogues.These were also on offer at 3 for a pound. I bought just the one because I wasn't sure whether the stories were serialised.They looked more of a girlie magazine ,could be wrong.

SHOJO BEAT 217 pages of japanese comics 50p

Ok then, start reading from the back page through to the front page, got it !
Shojo means girls, shonen mean boys. So yeah, Shojo Beat is indeed a girls' comic.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

a bit belated, but I managed to procure a full year of Whizzer and Chips from 1977, including great condition of same year's summer special. Lion summer special 1977 and Frankie Stein Holiday Special 1977 quickly followed. Now awaiting the arrival of Dr Who Winter Special from (yep, you guessed it) 1977. Going well is the year 1977 :cheers:

SID

Post by SID »

The latest issues of Doctor Who Comic, Wolverine & Deadpool and The Astonishing Spider-man. All good.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

"abacus wrote:
At some point during the production of American comics someone decided that instead of having one super hero why not have two super heroes working together,then someone else thought we can have three or four super heroes together and so on.

This was the original reason Captain 'Shazam!' Marvel was so called. Originally, he was supposed to be the leader of a team of supermen but then the publishers got cold feet. Who would be interested in multiple heroes when they cold just read about one?"
starscape.

Before I get to what comics I bought, Cap. Marvel did have a team to the extent that Fawcett created The Marvel Family where the 3 Marvels, plus Uncle Marvel at times, appeared in the same stories, working as a team. But the concept of teams was indeed foreign to many comics publishers in America especially when you look at Worlds Finest featuring Superman and Batman in which the 2 heroes didn't team up in the same adventure till #71? The whole thing went out of control in the '60's when Archie/MLJ/Radio comics in the series Mighty Crusaders had a team up issue to beat all others titled, Too Many Heroes, which was great fun and still a favourite today. Defenders did it it as well on a number of occasions and I can't remember the issues where they tried to recruit new team members and just about every obscure Marvel hero turned up.

This week I bought Doctor Who Comic 06, Black Canary #2, Bombshells #1, Archie v. Predator #4, Archie Sharknado - which is terrible imo. I don't think I'll be looking out for #1 or other issues of Black Canary but Bombshells might just be intriguing enough to try a few more. I bought Archie #1, the new series, at the mart last Sat. and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I will make a point of ordering the subsequent issue from Comixology. Doctor Who 06 was great entertainment and I'm now going back to read through the previous 5 issues - coffee and buns at the ready.
Has anyone else read "It Came" from Titan Comics in 2013? Brit creator Dan Boultwood was responsible for this and it's a good, funny read. Sorry if you all know about it but I just discovered it.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The original DC and Fawcett 'team-ups' were a bit like this TV Tornado Annual where characters seemed to appear alongside each other on the cover, even though they starred in separate stories inside.

I too have fond memories of the Mighty Crusaders in 'Too Many Heroes'. Interestingly that story was scripted by Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel, who also included a similar army of super heroes and super villains in the Spider's encounter with 'The Sinister Seven' which he wrote for our own Lion comic round about the same time.
Attachments
2227002-tvtann1968.jpg

starscape

Post by starscape »

Cap Marvel also had the Lieutenant Marvels but it was originally concerted as an army of Marvels from the get go. That's what was stopped. Of course, teams such as the JSA then appeared almost straightaway.

I got a lovely collection from Paw, including an Alan Class #1!!

Also, bought a load of my main collection, Marvel UK from Falkirk. Two bins there. One for a rather expensive £3 an issue, or one for £1 for 3. You can guess...
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

abacus

Post by abacus »

At one charity shop in town after books on the shelves have not sold after about 3 weeks they end up in their 3 for 99p box.Today the Beano' s with free sweets ended up there previously they had been on the shelves at £2.99p each.As a collector I was still not too enthused because the sweets are not unique to Beano ,there was one in the group I did like and that was one with the free Billy Whizzer . I chose this and then tried to find a couple of books to go with it but struggled in the attempt.Finally bought----

BEANOSept 1997 with free Billy Whizzer
BEANO Aug 1997 with free Polo gummies
GILES 1990 with tanned edges :)
in another charity shop got

Batman's GOTHAM NOIR £1.50
great cover and Batman is more a black shadow than the normal version.

Don't get the idea that I can just walk into a charity shop and find goodies.Each time I go into town I visit nigh on a dozen shops and often draw a blank.As a child I read hundreds of Beano's and Dandy's and am not dismissive of them but there is a separation between collector and today's reader part of me.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

paw broon wrote: This week I bought Doctor Who Comic 06, Black Canary #2, Bombshells #1, Archie v. Predator #4, Archie Sharknado - which is terrible imo. I don't think I'll be looking out for #1 or other issues of Black Canary but Bombshells might just be intriguing enough to try a few more. I bought Archie #1, the new series, at the mart last Sat. and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I will make a point of ordering the subsequent issue from Comixology. Doctor Who 06 was great entertainment and I'm now going back to read through the previous 5 issues - coffee and buns at the ready.
You left that a bit late! DWC #7 came out two days ago. :)

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Sparky #1!

I've been after it for some time and after starting to sell some of my many duplicates, I have a little cash to splash. Read it within 20 minutes of it arriving and very happy with my purchase!

Last week I also picked up a couple of free gifts including the football league ladders from Valiant #1 (now for the comic which is very high on my wish list but will probably cost a pretty penny) and the complete year of Adventure comics from 1957 and 2 years of Wizard from 1960 and '61. Should keep me busy!

abacus

Post by abacus »

At the weekend I had seen ACTION BIBLE a ĺarge hardback modern comic book for £2.50p in a charity shop .I'm not religous as such but it had great art and I thought today I would pick it up if it was still there.As this shop was expected to be the last on my journey I kept this in mind as I followed my route.
I (didn't) buy Best of 2000AD at £1.99p and PIP and SQUEAK 1936 Annual at £4.99p from one of the shops.
When I got to the shop where Action Bible should be it was no longer there.

I did buy from there--
DC Batman, THE GOLDEN STREETS OF GOTHAM for £1.50p

This was the third different drawing of Batman I've seen recently and I may do a copyright topic about this.
Slightly disappointed I decided to go to the edge of town charity shops and got the following.

Charlton UNUSUAL TALES 1962 FOR £1
DC FROM BEYOND THE UNKNOWN 1970 FOR £1
Both these have minor tears on the cover but otherwise ok.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Well done getting Sparky number 1...would love to see the first Moonsters!

abacus

Post by abacus »

These batman are different from the normal portrayal ,the first remaining as a black shadow throughout the second as you can see from the cover entirely different.These 2001/3 comics by DC elseworlds are with great art and also being excellent reads .My kind of comics and I will be on the lookout for more of them.
[img]http://image.gilawhost.com/15/08/2 ... jpeg[/img]
Last edited by abacus on 05 Oct 2015, 17:07, edited 4 times in total.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Peter Gray wrote:Well done getting Sparky number 1...would love to see the first Moonsters!
The Moonsters were like Judge Dredd in 2000AD Peter, they didn't appear until issue No2 of Sparky. Sparky himself took up the rear cover of the first issue as the cover itself was given over to promoting the free gift.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Thanks to a private deal, I picked up Preacher: Gone To Texas, The Tale of One Bad Rat, Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Prodigal Son Vol 1 and The Stand: American Nightmares today. The looks I got for swapping a carrier bag for money at the side of the road were a sight to behold!

Now I have to wait for my Adrienne Roy page and that is my main comic buying for this month done.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!