What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by SID »

Unfortunately no, Tommy which was a little disappointing - especially since the cover shown on the Forbidden Planet website seem to indicate that there was going to be some.

I did like the comic though and hopefully the kids will too. :xfingers:
Attachments
Actual Front Cover
Actual Front Cover
Tom Patterson's Front Cover
Tom Patterson's Front Cover
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

two front covers - are there 2 versions then? Or have I just mis-understood? I've probably mis-understood.
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

abacus

Post by abacus »

Wednesday's town day.
Toured the market and charity shops all I managed to buy was The Broons 70 years young book for a £1

Funnily enough with the mention of Monster Fun previously, one shop had a 1980 Monster Fun annual but the edges of the pages
were starting to go brown and I thought if it were stored it would only get worse.
In contrast those really old annuals of long ago seemed to have an eternal shelf life.
Last edited by abacus on 07 Apr 2022, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Sourced myself a Beano comic No.321 from November 1st 1947 in VG+ cond. :)

Well, hello there! :wave:

abacus

Post by abacus »

Into The Abyss wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 15:22

You are gathering an impressive collection of old Beano's, Abyss , have you been collecting long ? and have you got many so far ?

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

abacus wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 19:43
Into The Abyss wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 15:22

You are gathering an impressive collection of old Beano's, Abyss , have you been collecting long ? and have you got many so far ?
Thanks for the kind words abacus. Yeah, I've been collecting comics since the early eighties, although I did stop in the late nighties to concentrate on classic UK comedy & sci-fi memorabilia instead. Bit of a magpie me, lol.

Okay, back to your question. I bought my first vintage Beano in the late 2000s I think? Yes, around early 2007 when I first got onto the internet and caught the collecting bug once again. At present I've got over 200 Beano & Dandy comics ranging from 1938 to 1949. And I do have loads from the 1950s but prefer collecting earlier more sought after issues. I like a challenge. 🙂

abacus

Post by abacus »

Went to the RSPCA car boot this morning.
The grounds where it was held was not very big but the crowd was huge , making it a fairly long walk to get to the end of the queue at
opening time.
I don't normally bother with the girl's annuals but all I could find comicwise was the history of BUNTY book for a £1.
It is of the usual D.C.Thomson high standard.

Judging by the crowd there is a need for bigger and better car boot sales.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

abacus wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 12:52
Went to the RSPCA car boot this morning.
The grounds where it was held was not very big but the crowd was huge , making it a fairly long walk to get to the end of the queue at
opening time.
I don't normally bother with the girl's annuals but all I could find comicwise was the history of BUNTY book for a £1.
It is of the usual D.C.Thomson high standard.

Judging by the crowd there is a need for bigger and better car boot sales.
Funny you mention girl comics abacus.. In the late 90s me and by brother went to our local car boot and purchased over 170 comics at 30p each ranging from the 1950s & 60s.

I saw this man & girl putting out about four or five flat fruit boxes on a table, so went to investigate. My eyes popped out. I ran to my brother and said, how much money do you have left? And when we got chatting was told they were ex-shop stock and most were in excellent condition with the odd issue only having staple tarnish, but otherwise in fine to mint condition. These included Spike. Big One. Knockout. Beano. Dandy and other well-known issues of the day.

Anyway my point, sorry to waffle on. Among the boxes were a bunch of comics called. Candy . It featured Gerry Anderson's Lady Penelope. So I listed them on eBay in 2009 at £1 start and thought nothing of it. Actually I worried that I'd overpriced them expecting them to not sell. How wrong was I. Bids went crazy. All sold making on average £60 to £80 pound each. Nearly swallowed my tongue. 😲

blaing

Post by blaing »

Even though I bought a subscription to Monster Fun, I bought the 2000AD shop exclusive of No. 1.

I should get that by the end of the month.

SID

Post by SID »

SID wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 22:44
Unfortunately no, Tommy which was a little disappointing - especially since the cover shown on the Forbidden Planet website seem to indicate that there was going to be some.

I did like the comic though and hopefully the kids will too. :xfingers:
I was wrong. There is a web exclusive of the 1st issue from shop.2000AD with the Tom Patterson cover and an extra comic strip. So get that one instead, Tommy.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

blaing wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 01:51
Even though I bought a subscription to Monster Fun, I bought the 2000AD shop exclusive of No. 1.

I should get that by the end of the month.
just found this out myself and ordered a copy. :up:

SID

Post by SID »

Richard S. wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 06:55
two front covers - are there 2 versions then? Or have I just mis-understood? I've probably mis-understood.
There are two versions, Richard. The off-the-shelf copy and this one: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/MFU00 ... ve-edition.

blaing

Post by blaing »

SID wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 10:38
[I was wrong. There is a web exclusive of the 1st issue from shop.2000AD with the Tom Patterson cover and an extra comic strip. So get that one instead, Tommy.
Tom has a Sweeny Toddler Easter strip inside the web exclusive issue.

See the above for details.

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Over the last week or so I bought 2 Buster comics from 1969, I'm only missing 5 now to complete that year. I also bought the Buster Club badge from the early 1960's. Mine is the gold painted metal version, not the plastic version. I'm guessing the earlier ones were metal and the later ones were plastic. I also bought 3 early Busters from 1964-66, and the following 'Buster' free gifts - Feb-March 1961 '12 Men of Danger' cards and folder, October 1st 1977 'Creepy Clutcher' & the Swizzels drink powder sachet from May 30th 1981. I can remember getting this issue of Buster back in 1981 and drinking this, I won't be sampling this one though!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Chalky wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 09:17
Over the last week or so I bought 2 Buster comics from 1969, I'm only missing 5 now to complete that year. I also bought the Buster Club badge from the early 1960's. Mine is the gold painted metal version, not the plastic version. I'm guessing the earlier ones were metal and the later ones were plastic. I also bought 3 early Busters from 1964-66, and the following 'Buster' free gifts - Feb-March 1961 '12 Men of Danger' cards and folder, October 1st 1977 'Creepy Clutcher' & the Swizzels drink powder sachet from May 30th 1981. I can remember getting this issue of Buster back in 1981 and drinking this, I won't be sampling this one though!
Impressive Buster collection there Chalky. Back in the early 80s used to nag my mother to buy multiple issues of the same comic just for the free gifts. In particular the Scream comic that had a pair of Vampire fangs. Had my mother buy that issue 5 times. Spent most of the week leading up to Halloween scaring my neighbours by jumping out of bushes lol. 🧛🦇