What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

chrisb

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by chrisb »

The change happened a few months before the merger with the 6th February issue. Scorcher's run was a bit longer than Monster Fun and Shiver and Shake. Longer than both of them combined in fact as there were 248 issues of Scorcher.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

philcom55 wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote: My purchases included:

Valiant: A complete Index by Steve Holland
I've still got my copy and use it regularly. However it's worth mentioning that Steve Holland is currently working on a new, improved version that will include far more information, much as his 'Lion King of Story Papers' superseded his earlier Lion Index. (Personally I'm still hoping for a definitive Tiger Index to join them!)
Hi Phil. You may have a long wait! Many moons ago when I was helping Steve with the various indexes he was producing a 'rough draft' of a Tiger index was created and this became the version that eventually appeared in the Fleetway Companion. I think it's development into a full blown volume of its own was killed off by the many years it devoted to sport, not one of Steve's favourite topics.
I still have all the rough drafts of the various indexes filed away and it's interesting to look at them and see how much more in-depth some of them became. There is even a prototype index for both Radio Fun and TV Fun amongst them. Happy times!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

chrisb wrote:The change happened a few months before the merger with the 6th February issue. Scorcher's run was a bit longer than Monster Fun and Shiver and Shake. Longer than both of them combined in fact as there were 248 issues of Scorcher.
Thanks for that Chris. Now I don't need to haul all that stuff out of the cupboard to check for myself.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I thought the Victor #1 on 30th Century comics for £60 was a bit of a steal, 2 sold on ebay for nearly £200 recently.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Yes, I was in touch with 30th Century earlier today to buy five issues of Debbie. Unfortunately they didn't have any of the issues of Diana that I'm missing so for the time being I will have to make do with the notes I took on those in the British Library. I also bought, this time on eBay, three stories in the Dixon Hawke Library series, Behind The Evil Eye, The Trail Of Ali The Wicked and The Man Who Knew Too Many Secrets, because of their potential link with serials in Adventure. Best to be prepared!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Hawkeye wrote:I thought the Victor #1 on 30th Century comics for £60 was a bit of a steal, 2 sold on ebay for nearly £200 recently.
If it is in decent condition, it certainly is a good deal. I am glad I missed those Victors as I would have had much gnashing of teeth if I had seen either!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

chrisb wrote:The change happened a few months before the merger with the 6th February issue. Scorcher's run was a bit longer than Monster Fun and Shiver and Shake. Longer than both of them combined in fact as there were 248 issues of Scorcher.
I was thinking about just going for the run just up to the merger with Score. That's around 80 issues?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:I thought the Victor #1 on 30th Century comics for £60 was a bit of a steal, 2 sold on ebay for nearly £200 recently.
If it is in decent condition, it certainly is a good deal. I am glad I missed those Victors as I would have had much gnashing of teeth if I had seen either!
There's another poor/good copy on Ebay currently:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTOR-COMIC- ... SwzqFY~GjD

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:The Warrior run is a great read!! Great buy!!
I read #1 last night and really enjoyed it. I can't believe I've missed this comic for all these years. I'm travelling to London today by train and I'm thinking of taking #2 and #3 with me to read!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Cheerio #1 from 1919 has just turned up along with Dracula #1 from NEL (1973) and another Portman #1 from 1979 - Ghoul Tales. Only 2 more needed to have all of the Portman #1s

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

colcool007 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:When you say advance, Col, does that mean that you have made an offer below the seller's asking price that has not yet been accepted? If not, what does it mean?
By advance, I mean I have been given some more information on this chap's collection of 800 plus Commandos and a smattering of Battle Picture Libraries for a very reasonable price. I have also got the seller to give me dates of when I could order the courier to transfer them from the depths of Gloucestershire to deepest darkest Fife. As the price is so reasonable, we had already agreed to it. Or to be more precise, I think the seller is checking that his hand and arm are still attached to him as the price is a steal.

I fully expect to end up with half of them as doubles and if that is the case, I will still be pleased as I will still have a very reasonable price per comic as I will still be getting them for less than the 1986 cover price. Plus, I will have a bucketload of doubles to swap! :lol:
They've arrived and while there are less pre-decimal Commandos than I hoped for, there is still a large amount of gaps that are going to be filled in my collection.

The Battle PLs shoebox was slightly misleading as the seller did not tell me that the shoebox was size 13 wellies! 40 plus PLs of which there are Battle PLs, War PLs, Action PL, Lion PL, a Top Secret plus a pile of Combat, Western and assorted other goodies! To do this purchase justice, I can feel a blog post coming on...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:There's another poor/good copy on Ebay currently:
The inner pages at least seem to be in reasonable condition.

SID

Post by SID »

I got the latest batch of Commandos through the post today. One of them, No 5018 - Time-Warp Warrior, could have easily been from the pages of Starblazer. Even the Commando Team said as much on their intro page.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up the second Valiant Summer Special and a few Walking Dead compendiums.

Plenty of bank holiday reading!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote:I got the latest batch of Commandos through the post today. One of them, No 5018 - Time-Warp Warrior, could have easily been from the pages of Starblazer. Even the Commando Team said as much on their intro page.
Don't you mean Kirsten? :lol: However, it's good to see she has picked an appropriate Sci Fi Commando reprint for Star Wars Day.

However, I am a fan of Flores' work. He only did 16 Commandos between 1978 and 1980 but he never did any work for Starblazer which is a shame.