What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Digifiend »

^^Surfer's hiatus is because his pre-Secret Wars run lasted 15 issues, but the last three are Secret Wars tie-in, which they can't use until they reach the event. I see from Panini's website that MWOM has Silver Surfer 9 and 10 in it, so MWOM 23 presumably includes issues 11 and 12, meaning his material is exhausted for now. Ms Marvel lasted 19 issues before Secret Wars, of which the last four are tie-in, so she should be in MWOM 24 to 31. By that point, they'll probably be able to start Secret Wars. SHIELD's pre-Secret Wars run will end with MWOM issue 29. Daredevil will last until issue 30.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

I finally managed to obtain Roy of the Rovers free gift from issue 3 and, in tandem, scalped Battle issue 3 with free gift. Cost me a day's overtime but, as the whole of last year was consumed with over time at work, this year's over time is equally plentiful. Bring it on; I will gain what I wish to gain :roll: More money than sense, I know. Still... it accommodates my most fervent wishes.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

geoff42 wrote:I finally managed to obtain Roy of the Rovers free gift from issue 3 and, in tandem, scalped Battle issue 3 with free gift. Cost me a day's overtime but, as the whole of last year was consumed with over time at work, this year's over time is equally plentiful. Bring it on; I will gain what I wish to gain :roll: More money than sense, I know. Still... it accommodates my most fervent wishes.

Ha! I thought of you when I bid on BOTH! Well done, they went over my budget but I know you've been after the RotR #3 for ages. I hope they're in great condition when you get them

SID

Post by SID »

Just bought an almost full set of Hotspurs from 1977, 1979 & 1980 plus 21 issues from 1976. With each issue less than a pound each, thought it was a good deal.

I used to get Hotspur from 1978 until its demise in 1981 and stupidly got rid of them when I moved up north. Now here's my chance to getting them back.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Not exactly comics today, but definitely comic related. For a very reasonable amount, I picked up the 1996/97 Comic Book Price Guide by Duncan McAlpine, Spider-Man: The Icon by Steve Saffel and the Edgar Rice Burroughs biography by Irwin Porges.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

got another 16 buster another whoopee ( 4 to go ) and a few more whizzer & chips/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:the Edgar Rice Burroughs biography by Irwin Porges
You should enjoy that, Col.

SID

Post by SID »

Titan's new Wonder Woman.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

I suppose this isn't a comic per se even though it does contains comic strips and pages but I was delighted to find this in a carboot sale this morning :)
A very funny business- 40 years of comics by Leo Baxendale. I would suspect some among you already know it and have it in their collection.
Attachments
baxendale.JPG

abacus

Post by abacus »

bought today 1983 comic as shown front of comic No2 JULY back of comic advertising No3 end of MAY.Was Dr WHO
running excursions into the past at that time then ? :D

(Probable explanation) l read in a reference book recently that US comics often use a sell by date refering to the date shops should stock it on their shelves and the No3 athough available in MAY would probably have an August sell by date on it.

Also bought today
DC ANNUAL ARAK SON OF THUNDER 1984 both 52page comics with complete stories costing a £1 each from a charity shop.Interestingly the Marvel comic had an original UK price printed on the cover of 75p, while the later DC comic had an original Uk price printed on the cover of 45p.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just had a blinder at the local auction house and picked up the Bunty annuals for 1960, 1963 and 1964. And the Judy annuals for 1963, 1964 and 1965. All six still have their dust jackets and the only dust jacket to look tatty is the one for the 1960 Bunty annual.

And if that wasn't good enough, I also got the 1966 Princess annual and about a dozen Beano and Dandys of a more recent vintage.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

abacus wrote:Image
bought today 1983 comic as shown front of comic No2 JULY back of comic advertising No3 end of MAY.Was Dr WHO
running excursions into the past at that time then ? :D

(Probable explanation) l read in a reference book recently that US comics often use a sell by date refering to the date shops should stock it on their shelves and the No3 athough available in MAY would probably have an August sell by date on it.

Also bought today
DC ANNUAL ARAK SON OF THUNDER 1984 both 52page comics with complete stories costing a £1 each from a charity shop.Interestingly the Marvel comic had an original UK price printed on the cover of 75p, while the later DC comic had an original Uk price printed on the cover of 45p.

American comics have always been dated a few months ahead of their on-sale date. The gap has narrowed a bit over the years but the April Marvel comics are out now for example.

However, when they used to be distributed to UK newsagents they'd be on sale here the same month as the cover date, so British readers were effectively a few months behind the American readers.

To complicate matters further, even older issues would also turn up in UK newsagents, along with the new ones. Some of the first Marvel Comics I bought in 1967 from my corner shop were 1965 issues.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Nagorama wrote:I suppose this isn't a comic per se even though it does contains comic strips and pages but I was delighted to find this in a carboot sale this morning :)
A very funny business- 40 years of comics by Leo Baxendale. I would suspect some among you already know it and have it in their collection.

Wish I had that one!!! I have only ever looked through it.

SID

Post by SID »

Latest Wolverine & Deadpool. I wonder if it will ever become Deadpool & Wolverine because the new film? Or better still Deadpool gets his own comic.

I doubt it I suppose.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:Latest Wolverine & Deadpool. I wonder if it will ever become Deadpool & Wolverine because the new film? Or better still Deadpool gets his own comic.

I doubt it I suppose.
All of the UK Marvels are relaunching from No.1 later this year so it could happen. Plus, with what happens to Wolverine it could make sense to have Deadpool at the top of the bill.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/