What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Digifiend »

My Mum just brought me 15 annuals from a car boot sale, for which she paid a total of... £2! They're not recent ones either. Apparently, if nobody bought them by the end of the day, they would've been thrown in a skip.

Beano Book 1963, 1964, 1975.
Dandy Book 1962, 1964, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1975.
Hotspur Book for Boys 1967, 1968.
Valiant Annual 1965, 1967, 1969.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

You'd be able to sell those 1960s Dandy's and Beano's for a lot more than £2 on eBay. You got a really good deal there.

I picked up two 1970s Sparky annuals for £2 each, I wasnt on the look out for comics I was walking back from the supermarket and popped into a 2nd hand shop on a whim.

I also picked up the two new Dandy and Beano summer specials which I quite enjoyed. The Dandy summer special makes me miss Classics from the Comics.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'll need to check if any of them are duplicates first. My Mum asked me to guess how much she paid, and my guess was £10. I was pleasantly surprised when she said it was just £2!

I didn't have many 1960s annuals (I have most of them from the 70s and all of them from 1980 onwards, at least for Beano and Dandy), so most of them will be ones I've not read. I definitely haven't read the Hotspurs or Valiants before as my collection is mostly focused on DC Thomson's humour titles.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

My son picked up for me the new Spectrum comic, not sure if it’s a one off or a regular comic, it’s American comic size and style with strips of Captain Scarlet, Terrahawks and space precinct. Nice cover artwork but not keen on the strips artwork or stories, it’s very much to me the style that’s comics are today. At the moment I’m convalescing at home from 3 months in hospital with pancreatitis and then catching covid in hospital, I have been reading my graphic novels with lots of tv21 strips so I’m spoilt with good art and stories , next to read are my revamped Dan Dare graphic novels

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Not comics but on Wednesday I saw a box of 1970s Shoot! magazines in Deptford flea market. The Summer Specials and other specials were on top as well as some weekly issues with their free gifts (league ladders etc) All near mint and only 50p each so I bought all twelve of them. Yesterday I went back and bought the remaining 76 weekly issues. £20 the lot. All near mint. And a couple more with league ladders I'd missed on Wednesady. Very pleased.

SID

Post by SID »

Captain underpants wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 17:57
My son picked up for me the new Spectrum comic, not sure if it’s a one off or a regular comic, it’s American comic size and style with strips of Captain Scarlet, Terrahawks and space precinct. Nice cover artwork but not keen on the strips artwork or stories, it’s very much to me the style that’s comics are today. At the moment I’m convalescing at home from 3 months in hospital with pancreatitis and then catching covid in hospital, I have been reading my graphic novels with lots of tv21 strips so I’m spoilt with good art and stories , next to read are my revamped Dan Dare graphic novels
Sorry for your bad luck, Cap and hope you are recovering okay :up:. Am battling COVID myself after catching it at a funeral (not COVID related).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Sourced myself today three nice Dandy comics. First was issue No.307 from 1945, and two from 1946, issues No.320 & No.325. Pics to follow a.s.a.p. 🙂
Well, hello there! :wave:

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Into The Abyss wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 15:08
Sourced myself today three nice Dandy comics. First was issue No.307 from 1945, and two from 1946, issues No.320 & No.325. Pics to follow a.s.a.p. 🙂
nice!
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Richard S. wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 06:23
Into The Abyss wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 15:08

nice!
Cheers Richard S. All in good nick too.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Here's two of the three comics bought recently. Had all delivered today but one was not as described, so essentially a reading copy. Risk you take. Anyway, here are two issues Dandy's No.320, 1946 and No.305,1945 worth the money spent. Both are in VG & VG+ condition.

Image Image

Chalky

Post by Chalky »

This week I received the Cor!! Annuals 1972, 1974, 1975 all in great condition. Although I mainly collect Buster, as Cor!! merged with Buster in 1974 and many of the strips such as Ivor Lott and Tony Broke went on to be favourites in the Buster.
Last edited by Chalky on 24 Jul 2022, 18:10, edited 3 times in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

It was me who sold you the three Dandys. Sorry you were disappointed with issue 325 but I'd hardly call it a reading copy. I am unearthing old Beanos and Dandys regularly since I moved my collection to a bigger unit so will be ebaying some more soon. I'll try to be more meticulous in my description.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LcvMozzkdHeLjcfEA

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 15:21
It was me who sold you the three Dandys. Sorry you were disappointed with issue 325 but I'd hardly call it a reading copy. I am unearthing old Beanos and Dandys regularly since I moved my collection to a bigger unit so will be ebaying some more soon. I'll try to be more meticulous in my description.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LcvMozzkdHeLjcfEA
Hi stevezodiac. Although unaware it was you wasn't disappointed or my comment made in any way criticism of you as an eBay seller or fellow collector. In my defense the comic although complete & clean did have unseen defects such as foxing to the spine & staple pull resulting in the cover beginning to detach from the bottom & middle. No hard feelings friend. Looking forward to dealing with you again very soon. 🤝

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I had to check some copies as they only had ten pages and I feared a page had been cut out. But it wasn't the case so instead of a twelve page comic with three folded sheets they were two folded sheets and one single leaf glued in. This also happens with some Hotspurs I have and the glued-in sheet isn't always perfectly aligned. A drawback of postwar paper rationing. I posted those Dandys second class on Friday and you received them on Saturday morning, that's why I never waste money on first class postage.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 10:13
I had to check some copies as they only had ten pages and I feared a page had been cut out. But it wasn't the case so instead of a twelve page comic with three folded sheets they were two folded sheets and one single leaf glued in. This also happens with some Hotspurs I have and the glued-in sheet isn't always perfectly aligned. A drawback of postwar paper rationing. I posted those Dandys second class on Friday and you received them on Saturday morning, that's why I never waste money on first class postage.
Know exactly what you mean stevezodiac. Posting 1st class isn't any guarantee that you'll receive the item (s) when stated. I have spoken in passing to a Royal Mail postman and he confirmed how sometimes they let mail build up before delivering at the same time regardless whether they are 1st or 2nd class, not so recorded or special delivery, for obvious legal reasons.

Regarding post-war comics. Yeah I have notice when buying any vintage comic from that era find the paper due to the war effort quality diminished. The pre-war comics are on another level as you know. I suppose during & after the war children had accepted the size & paper used and were just grateful to have a comics to read at all, and I find the Beano & Dandy's printed in the late 1940s paper quality never really returned, although to be fair I think rationing continued in Britain until 1954 was a factor if my memory serves me correct. But I suppose this is the reason why any comic regardless of age if not stored correctly in a dry stable environment became tanned or brittle due to oxidisation as most parents stuck their children's comic collection in a box tied with string in a dusty attic open to the elements.