What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Raven »

koollectablz wrote:
TBh (TV Comic)'d be a far more collected comic if it didn't have such a non-descript cover for the whole of the seventies.

Bill Titcombe's Tom and Jerry covers all the way to 1976 were fantastic - and highly distinctive!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

You think?

Put it this way... every TV21 & 2000AD cover is easily placed into a certain period of time and I'd have a good shot at naming the exact number just by the front cover.

Can you do that with TV Comic? I'd have no chance.

Its the same for any comic that has a full strip on the cover and keeps the same logo for any length of time.

Some comics you're just better of having a nice bound volume...

Eagle I'm looking at you.

Raven

Post by Raven »

koollectablz wrote:You think?
Yes. I don't think the usual definitions of nondescript - lacking distinction, drab, undistinguished, etc. - can be applied to the masterful Bill Titcombe's art of this period. I don't think I've ever seen a US Tom and Jerry strip reflect the kinetic energy (and violence!) of the original cartoon series as well as Titcombe's - and the colour was always very effectively applied. I remember those covers as a big draw at the time.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:I recently picked up a pile of the later TV Comics very cheap and the decline in quality from the title's heyday was sad to see!
I've just seen the below on Ebay and thought of you and koollectablz regarding your conversation about TV Comic. I'm not the seller by the way: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182045692932? ... EBIDX%3AIT

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I got another 101 issues of 2000ad .

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

big bad bri wrote:I got another 101 issues of 2000ad .
Which ones?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

various after issue 1100.

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

Again not a comic as such but a nice book about comics: Great British Comics by Paul Gravett and Peter Stanbury. I had borrowed it from the library a few years ago and thought it gave a nice overview of British comics so I bought it last week.
Attachments
DSCF0001.JPG

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes Nagor, I bought this on release---this book is very good and unique in it's approach to British comics.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Very fragile and brittle but I had Hotspur #1 and Skipper #1 delivered this morning. Iconic comics which have been on my wish list for some time. I feel like wearing surgical gloves when I look at them though! Boy's Favourite #1 also arrived with them.

This week I've also bought Classics Illustrated UK #1 which was Huckleberry Finn which I've also been after for a while as well as a dozen Smash comics from 1966, some old Hornet comic football gifts, Marvel Comics Star Wars Special editions #1 & 2 which are twice the size of a normal comic, Victor #920 as I have the gifts for the comic already and Out of this World #1, 2, 3 & 4 from Alan Class but they look like reprints although I'm not sure when from.

All of this has been financed by selling off a few duplicates so all's good!

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Adam

According to the Grand Comics Database, issues 1, 2 and 4 of the Alan Class version of Out Of This World reprint stories from various issues of the Charlton Comics title Out Of This World.
Nobody has indexed issue 3 on GCD, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't contain more Charlton reprints.

You can see the GCD listing for OOTW at http://www.comics.org/series/21401/ Just click on the issue numbers in green to see the contents.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:Adam

According to the Grand Comics Database, issues 1, 2 and 4 of the Alan Class version of Out Of This World reprint stories from various issues of the Charlton Comics title Out Of This World.
Nobody has indexed issue 3 on GCD, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't contain more Charlton reprints.

You can see the GCD listing for OOTW at http://www.comics.org/series/21401/ Just click on the issue numbers in green to see the contents.

Thanks for that but these must be later prints as the price is 20p, ie post decimalisation. I'm pretty sure the content is the same though.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

There were several British runs of Out Of This World - I think the series was originally reprinted by Thorpe & Porter.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Just received Marvel UK's Planet of the Apes #90 (not in the best of condition though) to make the complete set of 123 issues from 1974-1977!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yesterday, actually. I exchanged some comics with my pal, Wee John, who, in return, gave me a pile of Fantastic and Terrific; 4 issues of Hornet; Inside Mad paperback and Knockout Annual 1957. And in the post, a nice pile of Super Detective library facsimiles, incl. a couple of tasty Bill Lacey illustrated issues. What a good day.