What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION (Tiger books 1986) in it Dan Dare,Jeff Hawke, and Garth get a mention.
That certainly looks an interesting book, abacus. The volume I have had for some years that may match yours for coverage, colour and quality is called Science Fiction - The Illustrated Encyclopedia by John Clute, published in 1995 by Dorling Kindersley. I must admit though that it isn't a book I look into very often, but I do have it should the need arise.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Phoenix wrote:
abacus wrote:A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION (Tiger books 1986) in it Dan Dare,Jeff Hawke, and Garth get a mention.
That certainly looks an interesting book, abacus. The volume I have had for some years that may match yours for coverage, colour and quality is called Science Fiction - The Illustrated Encyclopedia by John Clute, published in 1995 by Dorling Kindersley.
Reference books don't always interest me but artwork does and the book I bought contains some wonderful artwork.I suppose writing such books can always be a challenge where you have to present cold facts and at the same time be entertaining.
Sometimes its pictures or sometimes it's the written word that on occasions can transport or inspire the imagination .
Although I am dumb enough to read comics I do have to pause when reading them now and again to admire the skill of the artist involved in it's creation.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

buster holiday special 1977 i suppose i'm gonna have to collect those too :lol:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I bought Valiant No.1 on eBay last week so I thought I'd blog about it here:
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... -1962.html

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:Although I am dumb enough to read comics
Are you seriously putting that view forward, abacus, as some kind of qualification required by all those of us who have been enthusiastic readers of comics since Adam was a lad?

abacus

Post by abacus »

Phoenix wrote:
abacus wrote:Although I am dumb enough to read comics
Are you seriously putting that view forward, abacus, as some kind of qualification required by all those of us who have been enthusiastic readers of comics since Adam was a lad?
No, as an adult I have found new enjoyment in reading comics and I am buying them each week , some from a collectors point of view and also reading some of the newer stuff around.
For instance Steampunk is an interesting art form, victoriana seems to suit the comic format.
My point was more how in general comic reading is viewed by those who have no interest in the subject.
'Ah! I remember the Beano 'is usual comment from non collectors, either that or a blank look if comic collecting creeps into the conversation :)
I am happy and as someone once said the chap at the party wandering around with the lampshade on his head is probably enjoying himself more than you. :)

abacus

Post by abacus »

Son picked me up for car boot this morning and handed me comics he had bought a few days ago for my collection.These were---

TOPPER 1804 (1987)
TOPPER 1822 (1988)
TOPPER 1906 (1989)
THE BEST OF TOPPER No2
BEEZER 1661 (1987)
BEEZER 1708 (1988)
BEEZER 1752 (1989)
BASH STREET KIDS activity book (this was part of the sale lot)
BUSTER and NIPPER (1987)
The best of WHIZZER and CHIPS
OINK! summer collection!
Didn't buy anything at today's car boot the odd things I did like were either too expensive or in poor condition.
I now have comics to read that I got yesterday from Forbidden Planet 50p boxes and I expect to add to my U.S .collection with my mid week charity shop visit .
Will report back if I find any U.K stuff.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Recently back from the Antiques Fair at the Macron Stadium, and just thinking how curious it is that having had a season ticket for Bolton Wanderers for many, many years, the only times I go to the ground now are for these Antiques Fairs. I had intended to fill my boots with memorabilia from the club shop today but it was shut. It never has been before. The only comics-related items I picked up today were eight issues of The Schoolgirl from 1938 and 1939. They were £1 each but I offered £5 for the lot, and the dealer seemed relieved to be rid of them. Norman Shaw she was not! Joy had popped over from Stafford with a large number of her collectables, as jovial as ever, and she did apologise for not having turned up to the previous one. The only item that persuaded me today to give her a fiver was a large colour print of a painting by one Mac Tatchall of a scene from the England v Australia Test Match at Lord's in 1886. Every player is wearing a cap, and there are no bareheaded spectators. It is number 131 in a series called Macmillan's History Pictures, many of which were to be seen in the Forties and Fifties on the walls of Primary School classrooms. I'll get it framed and put it in the same room as a much smaller print of a more panoramic view of the same ground and the same opposition in 1938, which is currently on my landing, the original of which by Charles Cundall R. A. is in the Cricket Memorial Gallery at Lord's. The only other items I bought are badges. One is an I-Spy badge that I've never seen before to go with the one I bought a good while back. I was a paid-up club member when I was a child. The second is for the Famous Five Club. I don't think I was ever a member. It was probably too expensive, like the Everly Brothers, whose membership cost 7/6d. I did read Blyton's novels though, and curiously I still find them eminently readable. A third is for Happy Valley Llandudno, not interesting in itself but in the centre it has a photograph of one Alex Munro. If he isn't the Alex Munro who played inside right for Blackpool in the 1948 Cup Final I will have wasted £2. If it is, I should make quite a bit on eBay.

Addenda:- I've just Googled Alex Munro. This one was a Scottish entertainer with his own radio series during WW2. He eventually made his home in Llandudno, and was given creative control of the Llandudno Pier Pavilion in the 1970s. The Alex Munro Show ran at the Happy Valley in Llandudno for 30 years. He was the father of the actress Janet Munro who in 1972 predeceased him. In honour of Alex's contribution to the town of Llandudno, a short stretch of road was renamed Alex Munro Way in March 2014. He wasn't around to see it as he had died in 1986, aged 74. The information in this paragraph has been sourced from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

£2 well spent? Probably not, but it is always a good day when you learn something new.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Although I'm trying to concentrate on selling rather than buying, I did purchase a few gems this weekend.

Valiant Annual 1972 - only 2 to go now
Crime Does Not Pay #1 - Arnold Book Company - 1950?
The badge from Fantastic #54 to go with the comic and stickers that I already have
Action Comics Double Double #1 - 1966
I was also really chuffed to do a deal with a chap to buy #1-25 of The Pioneer by Amalgamated from 1934. They had originally been bound but have fallen apart so I am looking to get them re-bound hopefully as I believe that this is the full set (where it joined with Pilot). There is not a lot about them online if anyone has any interesting info on my new addition please?

I also had #1 of Look and Learn arrive after a swap deal with one of our more prolific members from this illustrious forum.

Oh yes, and 800 comic bags and boards, in 4 sizes, mainly Commando size for £80 total, delivered to my London office for £80 all in from JR Comics.
Attachments
Pioneer.jpg
Last edited by Adam Eterno on 07 Sep 2017, 08:08, edited 3 times in total.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Adam. Re Pioneer. It actually joined Ranger which in turn was swallowed up by Pilot. It is a complete run though.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Kashgar wrote:Hi Adam. Re Pioneer. It actually joined Ranger which in turn was swallowed up by Pilot. It is a complete run though.
Brilliant! Thanks. I'll definitely get it bound then

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

managed to get another 3 issues of cheeky weekly so only need 2 more

blaing

Post by blaing »

Bri, what issues are you after (as I have a couple of duplicate issues)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

blaing wrote:Bri, what issues are you after (as I have a couple of duplicate issues)
i need 13/1/79 & 19/1/80 + the holiday specials but i dont count those :lol:

blaing

Post by blaing »

Unfortunately, the issues of Cheeky Weekly I have come from late 1979. Shame. :(

I do have a fair copy of the 1981 summer special, but the previous owner had drawn mustaches on Cheeky and a couple of other characters on a few pages, and outside of a rodent nibble on the cover, it's in fairly good condition.

If you are interested, let me know.

Mind you, I did see a copy of the 1981 special on eBay recently (unless it has already gone. :( )