What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Digifiend »

AndyB wrote:Not today, but over the course of my stay in Scotland, in Pippens, Stirling, Big Bairn Books in Dundee, and Moffat Book Exchange:

Pippens:
Beezer 1973
Beezer 1974
Oor Wullie 1969
Oor Wullie 1971

Big Bairns Books (currently has a half price sale!):
Topper 1964
Topper 1985
Sparky 1975
Sparky 1977
Dandy 1974
Dandy 1977

Moffat Book Exchange:
Dennis the Menace 1976
The Very Best of Black Bob
The Broons' Days Oot! (oh to have had this six days earlier, before I reached Scotland...)
Beezer 1967
Topper 1969
Topper 1970
Topper 1971

Black Bob is going like hot cakes, apparently - Moffat Book Exchange is reordering it!
Correct address for Pippens: http://www.pippenstoys.co.uk/

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Fixed, thanks!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Just received the first 7 issues of Spaceship Away. It's about time! Of course everybody else who likes British adventure comics owns all of the issues already, right?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Today i got the four latest Commandos:
Black Ace
Lone Ace
Divided Aces
and, er... Sniper Hunt (there's always one isn't there?)
Also 2000AD
Schoolgirls' Adventure Library no. 3
Schoolgirls' Picture Library no. 45
and the Dan Dare story "Voyage to Venus"!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Today I got lucky at one of the local charity shops and picked up 3 Buddy's, Deadline No 11, 8 Eagles and the Eagle Summer Special. The year I am not sure of, but the price is 65 pence and features Dan Dare and Digby on the cover. Stories include The Thirteenth Floor and SOS. Think it's either '86 or '88, but will put a picture up later if that doesn't get the Dan Dare corporation's knickers in a twist.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I bought the "Art of Harvey Kurtzman" book (a lovely lushly printed tome) in FOPP Glasgow (West end Shop) for £3 (was £20) - they also had an Underground book that looked nice for £3 - Also got the Latest Legacies No 5 (DC) with great George Perez art (Walt Simonson Strange Tles back up) - also picked up a few Free comic Book day comics Nancy and Melvin the Monster (by John Stanley - Nancy of course used to appear in the Topper years ago) and Hot Stuff comic both very nice.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

"The Last Days of Berlin" Sexton Blake library No. 395 from the late 50's or early 60's. It's from during the "new order" period of SB tales and is supposed to be one of the best!

Jay

Post by Jay »

I've been buying various small bundles of comics from ebay these past few weeks. Including issues of Best of Topper, Best of Beezer, Nutty and Hoot. First time I've layed hands on Hoot before, I like that they were only 16 pages.
One comic that was included in a bundle was Champ #1 which I enjoyed but now I'm convinced I used to buy it as a kid since the strip Kids Rule-OK and having humour strips in the middle ring a lot of bells with me.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I'm convinced I used to buy it as a kid since the strip Kids Rule-OK ... ring a lot of bells with me.
Is that the one about some kids trying to stop thier school being demolished? Because it was also partially reprinted in a "golden years of adventure stories" book from 1991.

Anyway, today i got:
Classics Illustrated ("my" Smith's re-arranged a while ago and i was worried they'd stopped selling it, but now it's back!)
2000AD
The Doctor Who Storybook 2007 (a 'less'-official annual with text stories and comics, i got it for 20p!)
And from the colonies...
Kim by Rudyard Kipling, the Campfire Comics adaption.

blaing

Post by blaing »

A "Buy it Now" from e-bay.

The Topper, issues 1127, 1128 and 1133

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just paid £2.99 on ebay for the 1913 Chums Christmas issue - 60 pages. look forward to its arrival. It was listed in the Newspapers section in Colletables on ebay. Sometimes people list comics in the Magazine section under "Children's magazines" so worth looking in these nooks and crannies.

Having said that I was trying to find humour magazines on ebay this week and it wasn't there, think they may have reduced the Magazines sub-categories. So where would you now list Mad magazine?

Also picked up 1967 June annual in Deptford flea market for a pound but it has a page missing. Had double pie, mash and liquor as well.

Double event tomorrow - ephemera fair and comic fair both in Bloomsbury.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The newest two 2000AD's and the newest four Commandos
Also a Japanese one called Bakuman, which is about a pair of kids that want to become comic artists, it's pretty funny.

Edit: Oh yeah and also an annual called "Triumphs of Sport and Speed", with an inscription dated 1947 but no printed date (though it looks late 40's so was probably out that year). Still got the jacket on it, which isn't in totally terrible condition. And it was £2!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to the ephemera fair in Bloomsbury and picked up 47 Boys Papers, Women's magazines etc - all Christmas issues from around 1910s and 1920s. Mostly Magnets, Gems but also a 120 page Chums from 1923 and three Pictorial Weeklys. They were all a pound each. He had a couple of Nelson Lee Libraries as well but they don't really interest me but if anyone wants them I could get them at the next fair in December for you. Also got ten issues of Illustrated Chips from 1905-1908. Plus eleven copies of Punch from 1890s. Went over to the comic fair but just bought dvd box sets including The Untouchables season 3 and this nice compendium dvd. It has 150 vintage tv shows on it and was only £19.99. Also what's nice is that each disc is in a cardboard sleeve with a synopsis of each series rather than pressed onto the inner plastic leaves which I find annoying. Enjoyed Hiram Holiday which I haven't seen since the early sixties.
Attachments
ebay august 2010 215.jpg
ebay august 2010 216.jpg

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Baaaa-hump(bug!)

Today i received:
A Union Jack from 1922
A Boys' Friend Library from 1920 (with a story about Nelson Lee in it, he also had his own "library" by this time but it was different from the other pocket libraries and had shorter complete stories alongside serials etc)
And a Dandy Quarterly from 1991! This is a bit of a wierd one, it's Classics-sized, but with less pages and they are all glossy and in colour. It's one complete story like the Libraries. It's about Desperate Dan going to Japan to find the double of Aunt Aggie's sword that he broke.

Also recently i got issues 8-14 of Spaceship away (brilliant), the 1911 British Boy's Annual and a book from (seemingly) 1929, or 1931, called "The World's Best Boys' Annual". It contains an amusing science fiction story with an illustration of the open-topped spaceships that have rotor blades! I'll do a blog entry about it at some point...

Raven

Post by Raven »

I received five consecutive issues of Hotspur from 1971 (99p!). And - ooh - they include the first ever Red Star Robinson!