What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:Latest Wolverine & Deadpool. I wonder if it will ever become Deadpool & Wolverine because the new film? Or better still Deadpool gets his own comic.

I doubt it I suppose.
All of the UK Marvels are relaunching from No.1 later this year so it could happen. Plus, with what happens to Wolverine it could make sense to have Deadpool at the top of the bill.
Thanks, Lew. And it's not as if the Wolverine comic hasn't changed its name during its run. From Wolverine Unleashed to Wolverine & Gambit to its present name.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:Latest Wolverine & Deadpool. I wonder if it will ever become Deadpool & Wolverine because the new film? Or better still Deadpool gets his own comic.

I doubt it I suppose.
All of the UK Marvels are relaunching from No.1 later this year so it could happen. Plus, with what happens to Wolverine it could make sense to have Deadpool at the top of the bill.
Could call it Deadpool and Logan, I suppose. With Deadpool, Old Man Logan and the Spider-Man/Deadpool team-up book as the contents (Spidey's own title is crowded enough as it is, despite being fortnightly, as it will have Amazing Spider-Man, [Miles Morales] Spider-Man, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Web Warriors, Spider-Woman, and Spidey already). All-New Wolverine, which stars X-23, would go in the X-Men comic instead.

SID

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:

I doubt it I suppose.
Could call it Deadpool and Logan, I suppose. With Deadpool, Old Man Logan and the Spider-Man/Deadpool team-up book as the contents (Spidey's own title is crowded enough as it is, despite being fortnightly, as it will have Amazing Spider-Man, [Miles Morales] Spider-Man, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Web Warriors, Spider-Woman, and Spidey already). All-New Wolverine, which stars X-23, would go in the X-Men comic instead.
Sounds good, Digi. Would be great if Deadpool could get promoted so to speak (either with a comic or higher status). However, Panini haven't done it for Captain America, Iron Man or Thor (they all have to share in Marvel Legends). And the Fantastic Four (just bought their latest film on DVD) are not even in any of their comics.

Personally I love the character and the often zany storylines and in the months I have been getting Deadpool & Wolverine (sorry, Wolverine & Deadpool ;)), he has become my favourite Marvel character (sorry, Spidey).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Could call it Deadpool and Logan, I suppose.
Unlikely. 'Logan' means nothing to the news trade, whereas 'Wolverine' is a known brand.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i have just started collecting Deadpool the usa version from this latest series because of the variant comic story covers but the latest issue 7 was $10 =£7.50 bloody criminal that is

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Could call it Deadpool and Logan, I suppose.
Unlikely. 'Logan' means nothing to the news trade, whereas 'Wolverine' is a known brand.
Gambit meant nothing to them either, and yet the title was called Wolverine and Gambit before the current Deadpool incarnation. Deadpool's brand should be sufficient, I think.

The trouble with Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America is that none of them have enough backup material (second titles with the same character) to fill one of these collectors editions alone, unless they use silver age reprints (which the CAs seem to have stopped doing a few years ago). That's why they're combined as Marvel Legends. I don't think that one has anything to with popularity or brand awareness. With the FF title gone, Fantastic Four would by now have run into the same problem, only one comic book (which has actually been cancelled now too).

blaing

Post by blaing »

Bought the Christmas Beano. It took me two weeks to find the issue, and found it at the newsagent at Eastgardens. I was lucky though, as the issue was to be recalled on Monday. :oops:

abacus

Post by abacus »

I noticed the other week that OXFAM have shop online and I have not checked if other charities do the same.
It is interesting to see what comics they have for sale but I was slightly confused by the wrapped ,unwrapped options,it was late in the day! :)
Anyway here's the tag for anyone interested---
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/search-res ... =products;
or annuals
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/search-res ... l=products
Last edited by abacus on 27 Feb 2016, 12:03, edited 4 times in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:I noticed the other week that OXFAM have shop online
I discovered this last year when searching online for a specific novel. The only source flagged up was an Oxfam bookshop in Halifax. I bought the book, and I can assure members that their service was equally as good as that from any standard secondhand bookshop. Of course there have been Oxfam bookshops, as opposed to Oxfam shops, in quite a few towns and cities for several years.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Picked up two Phantom comics from the 1990s at the Capital Sci-Fi Convention.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

abacus wrote:I noticed the other week that OXFAM have shop online and I have not checked if other charities do the same.
It is interesting to see what comics they have for sale but I was slightly confused by the wrapped ,unwrapped options,it was late in the day! :)
Anyway here's the tag for anyone interested---
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/search-res ... =products;
or annuals
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/search-res ... l=products
£15 for a Krazy Annual?!?! Ridiculous.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

everything does seem way over priced i have to say

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: Wish I had that one!!! I have only ever looked through it.
I haven't finished reading it yet but it is quite captivating to read :D he talks about other artists as well (Ken Reid, Dudley Watkins, Davey Law, etc). He also talks about how the constant pressure of the deadlines adversely affected the artists and how for example, Davey Law's Denis the Menace became elongated(!).

Out of curiosity, I looked for it online and was flabbergasted at the astronomical prices the book apparently commands :shock:

If you're interested, I found this interview of Leo Baxendale in the Guardian from 2003: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/j ... s.shopping

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Nagorama wrote:I looked for it online and was flabbergasted at the astronomical prices the book apparently commands
There is one copy currently advertised twice on eBay for an asking price of £20.97. I don't consider that to be astronomical, Nagorama, not by a long chalk. Of course if people can't afford the price but would be happy just to read it they could always go to their local library and try to borrow a copy through the Inter-Library-Loan system.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Wish I had that one!!! I have only ever looked through it.[/quote]

It comes up every so often on Ebay and it's sold for between £12 and £15 frequently.