What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by steelclaw »

Lew Stringer wrote:
steelclaw wrote:Oh well what do you expected I'm always wrong.
To be fair to you it's quite a good "ghosting" by Price. He mimics Reid's characters' facial expressions quite well, although he doesn't give them the variety of expression or manic horror in the faces that Ken Reid did. (And not enough beads of sweat flying off their foreheads, - a dead giveaway. ;-)) Cartooning comes from the gut, and it's impossible to 100% copy the emotional feel of another artist's work. Were I a religious man I'd say an artist puts his/her soul into art and it's impossible to duplicate that precisely. (Sorry if that sounds gobshitey, but from my experience the sequences that I've most enjoyed drawing are the same ones that fans tell me were their favourites. Same with other artists too apparently. It's like a form of transference.)

The artwork in Power Comics has confused a lot of people over the years, including myself. (When I was younger I used to think Graham Allen's work was by Baxendale for example, even though their styles are distinctly different.) Even today, fans credit Baxendale with work that wasn't his (and in some instances is inferior to his material).

Fortunately I later realised that Baxendale and Reid signed many (but not all) of their pages for Odhams, so that helps.

Lew
Did artists mind having their strips ghosted/copied? or didn't they have any choice.
I wonder what the artists thought about seeing their work copied.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Chuggington. I just fell in love with that cutesy tambourine/clock freebie. However, I've decided to share the £1.99s worth with my granddaughter, Lolo. I keep the comic, she gets the tambourine/clock. She's only two and a half but she's got rhythm, she sings, she dances, what do I really want with a tambourine? She won't be too bothered about the numbers on the clock, though. She can already count up to 15, and backwards as well with a little guidance. She shouldn't be too long before she's mastered the numbers up to 25. Actually I suppose she could use the clock to learn to tell the time. She hasn't cracked that yet. That's quite a good idea, really. The editor of Chuggington could have thought of that, what do you reckon? I bought it in WH Smith's in the quaintly-named Liverpool One. Fancy naming the most upmarket, multimillion pound shopping area in the city after a TV series. Such inspiration. Mind you, credit where it's due. Liverpool was Capital of Culture in 2008 and now in 2009, with everybody's gaze elsewhere, they have proved to me this afternoon that they are still at the cutting edge of culture. Amazing really. Normally round here, when nobody is looking, there is a tendency for some people to..........''Oy, hang about, where do you think you're going with those? They're my hubcaps.''

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There are a couple of characteristics by which I can identify artists. In the case of Ken Reid it is how he draws their legs when they are running - very distinctive as with the stance of the body. Same with Bill Holroyd who also draws distinctive legs, although in his case it is when they fall over. George Martin of course had that Andy Capp style where one leg was bent behind the other at right angles as they walked.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Probably my best Car Boot Sale buy YTD.

200+ issues of Look-in, all dated from 1973 to 1978 therefore all with the wonderful painted covers. Probably about 40% have the centre page poster missing which is a shame. Nearly all have The Tomorrow People strip as well as both the Bionic strips and so much more. Also in the box were about 40 random comics including a good number of fairly early 2000ad's. The price for this treasure trove? £4.00 :o . Needless to say I have had a fixed grin for most of the day :D

Raven

Post by Raven »

bubbadog wrote:Probably my best Car Boot Sale buy YTD.

200+ issues of Look-in, all dated from 1973 to 1978 therefore all with the wonderful painted covers. Probably about 40% have the centre page poster missing which is a shame. Nearly all have The Tomorrow People strip as well as both the Bionic strips and so much more.

Look out for those fabulous Black Beauty strips by Mike Noble and Leslie Branton (74 + 75) and fantastic colour Kung Fu strips drawn by Martin Asbury. (74 onwards.)

I'd place 1974-75 as its all-time peak years, and one of the peaks of British comics - full of gorgeous things. The somewhat psychedelic colour Tomorrow People strips (John Burns art) from 1975 are also really nice. What a pity about those missing posters, but £4.00 for all those strips is not really something to complain about.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Well, yesterday actually. Among other things I got the first Victor Summer Special! - it's been years since I even saw a copy of this, and the last time I did that cover illustration of a prehistoric monster emerging from the deep at a seaside resort meant my parents couldn't get me to go paddling for love nor money on our annual holiday in Rhyl! :roll:

The dealer I got it from also had the 1967 Lion 'Epic' Summer Spectacular (with its rather misleading Thunderbirds cover), which is the first time I've seen that since I bought my own copy years ago. I don't know why but the early 1960s Summer Specials seem to be among the rarest comics around these days - far more so than Annuals from the same years.

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 20 Apr 2009, 13:52, edited 4 times in total.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

philcom55 wrote:...Well, yesterday actually. Among other things I got the first Victor Summer Special! - it's been years since I even saw a copy of this, and the last time I did that cover illustration of a prehistoric monster emerging from the deep at a seaside resort meant my parents couldn't get me to go paddling for love nor money on our annual holiday in Rhyl! :roll:
Victor_1967(FirstOne).jpg
The dealer I got it from also had the 1967 Lion 'Epic' Summer Spectacular, which is the first time I've seen that since I bought my own copy years ago. I don't know why but the early 1960s Summer Specials seem to be among the rarest comics around these days - far more so than Annuals from the same years.

- Phil Rushton
How much did that set you back?

Summer Specials in mint condition are much rarer then annuals, they were only in the shops for maybe a couple of weeks, and they also fall to bits quicker as my 1972 Lion & Thunder has. :x As you probably know. :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

steelclaw wrote:How much did that set you back?
Summer Specials in mint condition are much rarer then annuals, they were only in the shops for maybe a couple of weeks
A fiver. I also got the second Victor Annual in as near to mint condition as I've ever seen for just two pounds - which rather confirms your estimate of their relative rarity.

- Phil R.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I think there will be a lot of envious gnashing of teeth at those prices Phil. The Summer Specials of my youth are quite unique to me in that they evoke a certain place as much as a certain time. Bognor and Morecambe Bay mostly.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Kashgar wrote:I think there will be a lot of envious gnashing of teeth at those prices Phil. The Summer Specials of my youth are quite unique to me in that they evoke a certain place as much as a certain time. Bognor and Morecambe Bay mostly.
It was Devon(Torbay) and the Isle of wight(Sandown) for me.

Yeah very good price phil, even I would pay that and I don't even collect Victor. :cheers:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

philcom55 wrote: The dealer I got it from also had the 1967 Lion 'Epic' Summer Spectacular (with its rather misleading Thunderbirds cover), which is the first time I've seen that since I bought my own copy years ago.
- Phil Rushton

Is this the one in the Specials gallery from 1967?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:I think there will be a lot of envious gnashing of teeth at those prices Phil. The Summer Specials of my youth are quite unique to me in that they evoke a certain place as much as a certain time. Bognor and Morecambe Bay mostly.
My teeth are gnashing for sure! A fiver! For crying out loud, it makes you want to weep and ambush Phil at the very first chance I get! Well done, though, Phil. I take it the next time you find one, that'll be on Ebay quicker than you can blink. Grrr! A fiver he says.... Excuse me while I find a small child to kick!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

steelclaw wrote:Is this the one in the Specials gallery from 1967?
It was released in 1967 and was the first Lion Special (though it mostly contains old film adaptations rather than strips from the weekly comic ). The cover is absolutely stunning, dominated by a huge, cinematic 'Epic' logo above a dramatic picture of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds (even though that was a TV21 series! ). As far as I can tell it doesn't appear at all in Al's gallery section where the 1968 Lion Summer Special is shown as the first. (I'll put up a scan if I can find my own copy)

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here it is:

- Phil Rushton

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Wow I've never seen that before, thanks for showing it.