What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Forgot to say that I picked up 173 picture libraries at the auction on Wednesday. To give you an idea of how random a batch it is. I had a Valiant, a Brown & Watson Conflict Library, two Micron Cowboy Adventure Libraries, a Commando, four Starblazers, 3 Football PSM, 20 plus Blue Jeans Romance Stories in Photos, a rough dozen each of Mandy, Debbie and Bunty and a goodly pile of Battle and War!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I received a box of 33 real west type magazines from the sixties. I won two sets of 33 from America and they are not due until next week but Hermes delivered one box yesterday morning. They have separate tracking numbers. Is it usual for two parcels for the same address to be delivered on separate days? I'm starting to panic. Hoping the second box will arrive tomorrow. They were delivered to my next door neighbour as I was out so was not able to quiz the delivery person.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 12:11
Is it usual for two parcels for the same address to be delivered on separate days? I'm starting to panic.
I wouldn't worry Steve, I've had that happen a couple of times before and both I believe were with MyHermes.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I got an email this afternoon saying Hermes had another parcel for me. The seller has four more lots of 33 western magazines. Good grief!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate Steve had two Hermes parcels from phil-comics, one was delivered to him but the second to a different address. He got it eventually.

blaing

Post by blaing »

After procrastinating for the last six months or so, I decided to buy a reproduction Beano annual from the Beano Shop. (the 1958 book)

It will be sent through the parcel forwarding service I have been using for the last twelve months or so.

I noticed it is selling now for £19.95 (ex VAT plus £3.50 shipping.) Something tells me that the personalized vintage books must be coming to an end.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Someone was at Thought Bubble and picked up a spare freebie of the Third World War preview and it arrived today. As did my subscription copies of Commando.

rabbie77

Post by rabbie77 »

Picked up quite a few Commandos recently, as well as a job lot of 1982 Beanos and some Master of Kung Fu editions.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Probably the last eBay purchase before Christmas (as I have to send my reproduction 1958 Beano Book next week) is the 65th anniversary issue of the Dandy (7/12/2002)

And considering the seller (who I have done business with in the past) it won't arrive until early next year..

Drat! I just found out I already have this issue. In future, when I am searching for comics, I'll put it on my watch list, and then double check on my desk computer (which has all the comics that I have in spreadsheet form (especially when I'm looking on my tablet))
Last edited by blaing on 04 Dec 2019, 11:49, edited 2 times in total.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

A Black Friday bonanza of discounted graphic novels - 2000AD’s Dan Dare Vols 1 & 2, Roy of the Rovers 65th hardback, both Roy of the Rovers the 50s & the 60s and Bella at the Bar.

blaing

Post by blaing »

This will be my final eBay comic purchases for 2019, and today, I ended the year with a replacement copy of Whizzer and Chips, issue dated 13/12/1969..

I will get this sent via SkyPax in the New Year.

Also bought the New Beano and Dandy classic covers book from Phil Shrimpton (Phil-Comics).

I will get that in the new year.

SID

Post by SID »

I had a busy month and got the following:

Valiant - complete year 1966.
Hotspur - complete year 1978.
Battle Picture Weekly - complete year 1976.

All for good prices too.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I picked up a nice batch of randoms which included 5 of the Fleetway paperback Blackback crime stories. It also included 2 Holiday Specials of which one was a Western and the other a Space one. Not to mention Eagle Picture Library 1 and 2.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

More hardbacks! House of Hammer featuring all the comic strips from Dez Skinn’s 1970’s magazine. Plus The Dracula File from Scream. Then one softback - The Life of Charlie “Chas” Grigg - a great biography.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Shiner wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 13:34
More hardbacks! House of Hammer featuring all the comic strips from Dez Skinn’s 1970’s magazine. Plus The Dracula File from Scream. Then one softback - The Life of Charlie “Chas” Grigg - a great biography.
I have been eyeing up that biography. Is it good?