What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

I ended up having a busy end of year buying spree to end what has been by far my most active year buying and selling comics ever!

In the last couple of weeks I've managed to buy:

Gene Autry and Champion #1 - WDL - 1953
10 x Wham comics - Odhams - 1966
Jet #1 - IPC - 1971
Giggle #1 - IPC - 1967
Miracle Man #1 - T&P - 1965
Jumbo Comics #1 and only - Locker/Fiction House - 1951
Purple Hood #2 - Spencer - 1965 (I really want #1 now)
Tales of Terror #1 - Famepress - 1966
Battleground #1 - Famepress - 1964
Science Fiction in Pictures #1 & #2 - Brown Watson - 1963
and a bunch of pre-decimal Commandos which I'm hoping to get a load more from the same seller but just working out a price along with a load of old Battle and Air Ace libraries as well as some 60s Alan Class comics he has.

I've just looked at my records and apparently I've spent over £8k on comics and comic related items this year! BUT I've also sold over £5k worth of comics (after ebay costs) and my collection has increased by almost 5000 in number so £3k for 5000 comics works out at around 60p a comic overall. Happy days!

The two major buys were 3500 Commando comics and a full run of all 730 Valiant comics which together were 20% of that. I've also acquired Thriller comics #1, Whoopee #1 & 3 with free gifts, Lion #1 with gift, Whizzer & Chips #1 with free gift, over 200 Starblazers and a full set of Rocket as well as hundreds of British #1s and comic free gifts.

I won't add in the time spent as that would ruin the maths and I don't think my Mrs would be too impressed if I mentioned that I've spent £3,000!

Needless to say, I love my comics and get great enjoyment out of collecting them but my aim in 2017 is to read more than the 500+ I've read this year. I'd also like to double my selling so I can save up for a big purchase or two next year.........

abacus

Post by abacus »

Adam Eterno wrote:I ended up having a busy end of year buying spree to end what has been by far my most active year buying and selling comics ever!

In the last couple of weeks I've managed to buy:

Gene Autry and Champion #1 - WDL - 1953
10 x Wham comics - Odhams - 1966
Jet #1 - IPC - 1971
Giggle #1 - IPC - 1967
Miracle Man #1 - T&P - 1965
Jumbo Comics #1 and only - Locker/Fiction House - 1951
Purple Hood #2 - Spencer - 1965 (I really want #1 now)
Tales of Terror #1 - Famepress - 19668
Battleground #1 - Famepress - 1964
Science Fiction in Pictures #1 & #2 - Brown Watson - 1963
and a bunch of pre-decimal Commandos which I'm hoping to get a load more from the same seller but just working out a price along with a load of old Battle and Air Ace libraries as well as some 60s Alan Class comics he has.

I've just looked at my records and apparently I've spent over £8k on comics and comic related items this year! BUT I've also sold over £5k worth of comics (after ebay costs) and my collection has increased by almost 5000 in number so £3k for 5000 comics works out at around 60p a comic overall. Happy days!

The two major buys were 3500 Commando comics and a full run of all 730 Valiant comics which together were 20% of that. I've also acquired Thriller comics #1, Whoopee #1 & 3 with free gifts, Lion #1 with gift, Whizzer & Chips #1 with free gift, over 200 Starblazers and a full set of Rocket as well as hundreds of British #1s and comic free gifts.

I won't add in the time spent as that would ruin the maths and I don't think my Mrs would be too impressed if I mentioned that I've spent £3,000!

Needless to say, I love my comics and get great enjoyment out of collecting them but my aim in 2017 is to read more than the 500+ I've read this year. I'd also like to double my selling so I can save up for a big purchase or two next year.........
Ah! that's why I have difficulty finding UK comics, you've bought them all. :D .Happy New Year and good luck to all collectors.

abacus

Post by abacus »

After all that eating and drinking cycled into town and lost ten pounds, using one of my shopping christmas gift vouchers that is.
Didn't see much in WHSmith or the WORKS finished up in WATERSTONES and got---

USERNAME:Regenerated a hardback graphic novel at 1/2price which they seem to have a lot of which doesn't bode well, but having said that it did look the kind of read I might like £8.50p
RUPERT ANNUAL this was down to 99p.

Went into Oxfam afterwards still baffled by their crazy prices.They have a number of Illustrated Classics that range from £4.99,up to £14.50p Surely they can see it's all the same series?
Did buy MARVEL KID COLT OUTLAW 1963 at £1.99
Wasn't too excited about buying this because I have a number of the UK black and white versions of this seŕies.
The one I really wanted was the RAWHIDE KID but at £4.99 I wasn't keen on the price and no ,my first name is not Ebenezer :)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

not today but opened my ebay wins on xmas day so got
Dandy annual 1957 & 1961
Dandy complete year 1985
Sparky 156 various issues 1972-1975
victor x 50 1973
Victor x 51 1981
the big one issue 1
plus couple whizzer & chips and buster holiday specials/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:not today but opened my ebay wins on xmas day so got
Dandy annual 1957 & 1961
Dandy complete year 1985
Sparky 156 various issues 1972-1975
victor x 50 1973
Victor x 51 1981
the big one issue 1
plus couple whizzer & chips and buster holiday specials/
Great idea opening them on Christmas Day. Extra pressies!

abacus

Post by abacus »

NOT TOO GREAT EXPECTATIONS. :)
My son who has no interest in collecting comics rang (my wife answering the phone)to say that a parcel was on it's way.He often buys from his home stuff from the internet and then has them delivered to our house due to fact that he is at work all day(to my slight irritation).This time he told the wife that he had bid for some comics on Ebay and that the parcel was for me.I have seen him since and I have not asked him about the comics and he has not mentioned them to me so I 'll have to wait and see what turns up.
In the meantime a couple of days ago my other son and his wife gave me a DC COMIC ART COLOURING BOOK (containing mainly Wonder Woman pics )and some colour pencils for my birthday.Every time I think about doing some colouring something inside of me says no.
"To colour or not to colour that is the question?"as Bill Shakespeare said. :D

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

abacus wrote:NOT TOO GREAT EXPECTATIONS. :)
My son who has no interest in collecting comics rang (my wife answering the phone)to say that a parcel was on it's way.He often buys from his home stuff from the internet and then has them delivered to our house due to fact that he is at work all day(to my slight irritation).This time he told the wife that he had bid for some comics on Ebay and that the parcel was for me.I have seen him since and I have not asked him about the comics and he has not mentioned them to me so I 'll have to wait and see what turns up.
In the meantime a couple of days ago my other son and his wife gave me a DC COMIC ART COLOURING BOOK (containing mainly Wonder Woman pics )and some colour pencils for my birthday.Every time I think about doing some colouring something inside of me says no.
"To colour or not to colour that is the question?"as Bill Shakespeare said. :D
So basically you got comics and a colouring book for Christmas from your family......I don't understand why women say that men never grow up!!? :D

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On Saturday I picked up a Daily Mirror Book for Boys 1972 (or 1974) for a pound. It has a nice full colour Ron Turner strip at the back. Would it be unique to the book? Also got a book of Royal Newpaper front pages and a Best of Lou Reed double cd for a quid each.

abacus

Post by abacus »

As mentioned on a previous post my son bid on some comics from Ebay to give as an addition to my collection yet without him knowing much about the finer details of the subject.The parcel arrived today and contained 18×The Hotspur 1956/7 and only three of which had not had a picture or ad cut out( I'm glad I didn't pay for them I prefer buying comics I see on my travels rather than from the internet).I am left wondering what the sellers description was and whether my son read it.I think the moral is research your subject before you get involved :)Plus the fact although he means well what bothers me slightly is that he doesn't know the comics I have got and the one's I am interested in collecting and that I may finish up with duplicates.
I am happy with the three that are OK because I don't have any of this comic .The others I will keep for the cover art and for reading matter seperate from my main collection so they don't accidently get sold as complete comics.
Having spoke to my son he said he knew they were a bit worn and that they were cheap but didn't realise they had cut out pages.
Last edited by abacus on 03 Jan 2017, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Recently bought Triumph comic #2 from 1924, and have just managed to get the 2 free gift motor car cards that came with it. I just love hunting for the gifts to go with my comics.

Should be getting Jolly comic #2 from 1935 any day now, its got Jack Sprat and Tubby Tadpole on the cover, drawn by Roy Wilson.

I'd really like to get some more Happy Days comics, I've only got one at the moment, thats #2 as well. The covers are absolutely fantastic. They just never come up for sale.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

abacus wrote:As mentioned on a previous post my son bid on some comics from Ebay to give as an addition to my collection yet without him knowing much about the finer details of the subject.The parcel arrived today and contained 18×The Hotspur 1956/7 and only three of which had not had a picture or ad cut out( I'm glad I didn't pay for them I prefer buying comics I see on my travels rather than from the internet).I am left wondering what the sellers description was and whether my son read it.I think the moral is research your subject before you get involved :)Plus the fact although he means well what bothers me slightly is that he doesn't know the comics I have got and the one's I am interested in collecting and that I may finish up with duplicates.
I am happy with the three that are OK because I don't have any of this comic .The others I will keep for the cover art and for reading matter seperate from my main collection so they don't accidently get sold as complete comics.
Having spoke to my son he said he knew they were a bit worn and that they were cheap but didn't realise they had cut out pages.
If it wasn't mentioned in the description, I'd return those for a refund. I'd also insist that the seller pays for return postage.

Saying things are a bit worn does not cover cut outs.

starscape

Post by starscape »

It's free comics bought by a son for his father for Xmas. Nothing to complain about. I wouldn't even mind if someone had bought me low quality duplicates of comics I already had. It's the thought that counts. Nothing to complain about here.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

abacus

Post by abacus »

starscape wrote:It's free comics bought by a son for his father for Xmas. Nothing to complain about. I wouldn't even mind if someone had bought me low quality duplicates of comics I already had. It's the thought that counts. Nothing to complain about here.
Yes.I have no complaints on that score it's just the thought of money being spent on comics I don't need or not the comics I am seeking to collect,but then I suppose it wouldn't be a surprise :) My son does ring me from time to time when he spots an old annual in a charity shop and asks if I'm interested and then I do have a say and for me a correct decision is made.
Off to my main charity shop for comic buying later this morning ,that's if their open after New Year celebrations.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Most of my purchases have been American comics - new Green Hornet #1, Champions #1, Shadow- Green Hornet Dark Nights collection, Current issue of Lone Ranger/Green Hornet series, Green Lantern said tpb ( something of a trend going on here). But also 3 of the Panini Doctor Who collections, including the Capaldi Highgate Horror edition. Awfy good.

abacus

Post by abacus »

paw broon wrote:Most of my purchases have been American comics - new Green Hornet #1, Champions #1, Shadow- Green Hornet Dark Nights collection, Current issue of Lone Ranger/Green Hornet series, Green Lantern said tpb ( something of a trend going on here). But also 3 of the Panini Doctor Who collections, including the Capaldi Highgate Horror edition. Awfy good.
Agreed.
knowing I had a 45 min cycle ride to the other side of town charity shop today I cut back on eating the wine gums and drinking the beer presents the day before so I wouldn't find the trip too dificult, I'm not getting any younger.
Lots of comics I wanted but I had to narrow them down to 4.
Not that old in terms of collectors items but I was looking for my weekly reading material,.got-------

EPIC COMICS1992-EPIC an anthology , contains a dinosaur story---------£1
DC secret origins 1986 HAWKMAN/POWER GIRL--------------------------£1
MARVEL CONAN THE BARBARIAN 1986 a story set mainly at sea----------£1
DC THE QUESTION 1989 bought and enjoyed a story in this series a couple of weeks back---£1

That will keep me busy reading for a few days until next week.
Regarding UK comics sometimes when I buy a comic such as Scream , Spike or Acne that checking on them when I get home I find they had a short run which I wasn't aware of before I bought them and with me only buying one or two I missed out on the chance of buying more towards completing the set.