What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

I have been a bit quiet lately, as I have been collecting a few anthology US newspaper strip reprint books, the only British comics I have recently bought is a bundle of Whizzer and Chips from 1987 (which included the first larger format issue).

abacus

Post by abacus »

Was at the carboot this morning wandering around the allotted fielď avoiding yesterday's sheep droppings.
Spent £5 on comic material that included a number of Beano pocket library and nos.1 and 2 of Champ a comic I didn't have in my collection.(as shown)

Then bought 3 bundles of cigarette cards at 50p each and pair of welders arm sleeves , those pesky garden bushes are not going to scratch me up again .

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went to Kempton Park Antique Fair last Tuesday and picked up Walt Disney's Silly Symphony Annual 1937 for only £5.00. Very nice condition. Also got this 1974 Observer magazine celebrating 100 years of British comics for £1.00.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MnZhZZxUQZoJhRiV9

blaing

Post by blaing »

Just received in the mail this afternoon is the latest from the Treasury of British Comics, Ken Reid's Football Funnies: the first half.

Looking forward to getting the Tom Paterson collection later this year. :)

abacus

Post by abacus »

From a charity shop this morning
Sleaze brothers 1989 this completes my set
DC Action comics Superman 1985 this a pen and ink version , much better in my opinion than the later computerised updated Superman version.
DÇ Night Force 1983
DC Atlantis chronicles 1990
Vertigo Gangland 1998
Vertigo The Çhildren's Crusade 1993 both comics in a two part story.This looks interesting with some nice artwork.

A week ago I was beginning to miss the carboot sales.
I decided to go onto Youtube and watch someone else attending a carboot sale.
This chap came to a stall holďer who had 2 boxes of American comics.
As he flicked through them I could see plenty of comics I would have bought and I was wishing I was there.
He took out several Wonder Woman comics and asked the stall holder how much are the comics ?
When the stallholder said 50p it hurt and I had to switch off and watch something else.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

abacus wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 13:18
From a charity shop this mornin
Sleaze brothers 1989 this completes my set
DC Action comics Superman 1985 this a pen and ink version , much better in my opinion than the later computerised updated Superman version.
DÇ Night Force 1983
DC Atlantis chronicles 1990
Vertigo Gangland 1998
Vertigo The Çhildren's Crusade 1993 both comics in a two part story.This looks interesting with some nice artwork.

A week ago I was beginning to miss the carboot sales.
I decided to go onto Youtube and watch someone else attending a carboot sale.
This chap came to a stall holďer who had 2 boxes of American comics.
As he flicked through them I could see plenty of comics I would have bought and I was wishing I was there.
He took out several Wonder Woman comics and asked the stall holder how much are the comics ?
When the stallholder said 50p it hurt and I had to switch off and watch something else.
I have seen a number of these bootsale/yard sale YouTube videos and wonder where are these boot sales . been to hundreds over the years and 95% of the items are tat, dvds/videos and knackered toddlers toys it seems Essex is not the place for good bootsale finds

abacus

Post by abacus »

A word about the Gangland comic I bought in the list above.
I was attracted to the cover because it looked similar to the work Lawson Wood used to produce.
I knew the cover bore no relation to the three stories inside so I just merely bought It because of the cover.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Today bought 2 Beano comics, 1 Dandy from 1946. They were Beano issues 287, 291 and Dandy issue 331 (Fireworks). 😎

Pics to follow shortly.......
Well, hello there! :wave:

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

early ones! Nice
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Richard S. wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 07:05
early ones! Nice
Cheers Richard S. Yeah, and all are in top-top condition too. The Dandy Fireworks issue cover is hilarious, lol. Superb strip. 😎

As said, I'll upload them for all to see as soon I receive them. 🙂👍

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

abacus wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 19:42
A word about the Gangland comic I bought in the list above.
I was attracted to the cover because it looked similar to the work Lawson Wood used to produce.
I knew the cover bore no relation to the three stories inside so I just merely bought It because of the cover.

The cover painting was by Brian Bolland. He's good, isn't he.

abacus

Post by abacus »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 22:05

The cover painting was by Brian Bolland. He's 0ood, isn't he.
Yes,it would have been good if the stories inside had carried on the cartoony theme.

I am on holiday in Llandudno where a few years ago an antique warehouse had a few boxes of Archie comics and while on holiday I would nip in most days and buy a few.
The warehouse is still there and I keep expecting to find comics when I now visit but I am sadly disappointed.
It's the same with charity shops one day you find an a really exceptional buy and each time you visit that shop you expect similar only to be disappointed .
You just keep searching and never know where the next great comic find is coming from.

abacus

Post by abacus »

At last I've found a shop in Llandudno selling comics it's called Geeks Retreat.
This is a comics games shop near the main street.
They haven't got loads of comics but at a £1 each I decided to buy £20 pounds worth because I'm travelling home tomorrow, looking forward to reading them in the months ahead.

Nearly all of them are 1973/4
With 3 black/white Alan Class publications and 1 black/white L.Miller publication.
Last edited by abacus on 25 Aug 2021, 05:18, edited 2 times in total.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Nice collection of comics that’s almost 50 years old , worth £1 each something for the cold months that will soon be on us , you have some nice Halloween reading enjoy 🎃

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hey, nice haul of horror comics abacus. What caught my eye is the Witching Hour issues. I find the artwork & stories superb. 😎