What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The Jan 1970 Flicker pics was the best-ever SPARKY gift in my view Alan.........did you get the add on stickers as well? The stickers featured I Spy/Puss n Boots, probably somebody else---the spinning disc itself had Hungry Horace and a pie on the other side, in full colour, of course.


The Feb 1969 Flip Frog was another good one however this same item probably appeared a lot earlier in some of the D C T boy's comics---------or at least, something very similar has.

User avatar
abacus
Posts: 636
Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:10
Location: leicester uk

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by abacus »

Not a fan of pocket size comicbooks but got two today from the 3 for 99p bin in the charity shop.
DC BATMAN BEGINS stories that inspired the movie.
This interested me the most because it contained 3 stories including one from the 1930s judging by the artwork.
SCOOBY DOO pocket size comicbook
and to make up the three
DANDY ANNUAL 2000

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4756
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

Picked up a 1966 Broons annual for £2 in Deptford flea market this morning.

alanultron5
Posts: 1724
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 15:58
Location: Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by alanultron5 »

I got the "Flicker Pics" complete Rab! There are just "Puss & Boots" and "I.Spy" on peel off strips with "Horace" already set inside the spin-disc! I paid big (£280) - but its the one Sparky Free gift I REALLY!! wanted to get above all others.
A Face unclouded by thought.

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

wow, that is a lot of money to pay out for a free gift Alan: you are obviously very committed regarding collecting SPARKY-related emphera and spin-offs........that is virtually what I paid for VG copies of the entire 1969-70 SPARKY comics ---the 'Holy Grail' of my own collecting desires, finally sorted out 9 years ago.

Who [in 1970] could have imagined a free gift from a comic could command such value, [even allowing for 45 years on inflation!]

You sound very happy with it, though.....

alanultron5
Posts: 1724
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 15:58
Location: Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by alanultron5 »

I am Rab! I actually paid higher for 1967 "Target Tiddle-Winks" . These two gifts were rather unique in a sense; for as far as I know, no other comics ever gave similar away. The `Crack-Bang` or `Racketty` or `Spinners` were often identical with only bag holding these to identify the comic they were with! "Pics" and "Winks" both pretty unique!
A Face unclouded by thought.

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4756
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

Yesterday I picked up 26 issues of Rover from 1971 for 75p each from the Junk shop in Greenwich.

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3850
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Yesterday I picked up 26 issues of Rover from 1971 for 75p each from the Junk shop in Greenwich.
Nice find Steve.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4756
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

All in excellent condition. I sent that previous message from my new birthday smartphone. I was 60 on the 25th February and finally getting into modern tech.

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1327
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Not today but in the last month since my last post, I've picked up another massive mixed bag of comics and comic gifts which after typing out, helps to explain why my wife has insisted that I start to sell some of the duplicates!

February's purchases:


Entire year of Victor 1972 with 3 free gifts
Entire year of Rover comics from 1972 minus one issue in December
"For Valour" Folder and Silver medals from Warlord #1 and #2, just need the Gold medals now.
Big event Sports Diary from Scoop #1
3 plastic planes free gifts from Fury and Victor
"The Pilot Guide to better football" Free gift from Pilot #1 from 1935
Scorcher free gifts of "My Favourite soccer stars" along with the same for Smash, Buster, Valiant and Tiger which have gone back on Ebay.
Full set of 64 Action Comic's "Soccer Super Stars of Britain" from issue #3
2 x Action comic #3 to go with the above cards
Top Spot #3 free gift "Drumming up the Stars" from 1958
Superheroes #1 + free gift poster
Cor! #3 and #4
Action comic #7 to finally complete the set minus the October 23rd issue.........one day.......maybe
A General French badge which I'm still trying to work out whether or not it's the free gift from Nelson Lee Library #1 in 1915
1 sachet of "Gulp!", the free gift from Cor! #1. A bargain at £50 as I've missed out at over £100 before on a few occasions.
Buffalo Bill #1 from Super Western comics, 6d UK 60s version
Marvel "All Colour Comics", the UK pence copies, The Eternals #1, Howard the Duck #1, Captain Marvel #1, 2001 A Space Odyssey #1, Modred the Mystic #1 and The Human Fly #1
Vampirella #1 - UK issue from 1975
Ally Sloper #1 from 1948
Whizzer and Chips #1 with free gift
Hulk comic #1 + free gift of Hulk album 1979

and not arrived yet but Skipper #1, Hotspur #1 and Boys Favourite #1 from the recent Compal auction. All in poor condition though.

In my defence, I have sold a fair bit in the last month. I just need to see if the balance sheet is anywhere near balancing!

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

i finally bought Buster issue 1.I paid way over my budget but was determined not to miss out again.i guess the bills can wait another month :lol:

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3850
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:Not today but in the last month since my last post, I've picked up another massive mixed bag of comics and comic gifts which after typing out, helps to explain why my wife has insisted that I start to sell some of the duplicates!

February's purchases:


Entire year of Victor 1972 with 3 free gifts
Entire year of Rover comics from 1972 minus one issue in December
"For Valour" Folder and Silver medals from Warlord #1 and #2, just need the Gold medals now.
Big event Sports Diary from Scoop #1
3 plastic planes free gifts from Fury and Victor
"The Pilot Guide to better football" Free gift from Pilot #1 from 1935
Scorcher free gifts of "My Favourite soccer stars" along with the same for Smash, Buster, Valiant and Tiger which have gone back on Ebay.
Full set of 64 Action Comic's "Soccer Super Stars of Britain" from issue #3
2 x Action comic #3 to go with the above cards
Top Spot #3 free gift "Drumming up the Stars" from 1958
Superheroes #1 + free gift poster
Cor! #3 and #4
Action comic #7 to finally complete the set minus the October 23rd issue.........one day.......maybe
A General French badge which I'm still trying to work out whether or not it's the free gift from Nelson Lee Library #1 in 1915
1 sachet of "Gulp!", the free gift from Cor! #1. A bargain at £50 as I've missed out at over £100 before on a few occasions.
Buffalo Bill #1 from Super Western comics, 6d UK 60s version
Marvel "All Colour Comics", the UK pence copies, The Eternals #1, Howard the Duck #1, Captain Marvel #1, 2001 A Space Odyssey #1, Modred the Mystic #1 and The Human Fly #1
Vampirella #1 - UK issue from 1975
Ally Sloper #1 from 1948
Whizzer and Chips #1 with free gift
Hulk comic #1 + free gift of Hulk album 1979

and not arrived yet but Skipper #1, Hotspur #1 and Boys Favourite #1 from the recent Compal auction. All in poor condition though.

In my defence, I have sold a fair bit in the last month. I just need to see if the balance sheet is anywhere near balancing!
If you need any help with getting rid of the doubles in the DCT comics, I am sure that I can try and help. :-)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1327
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:i finally bought Buster issue 1.I paid way over my budget but was determined not to miss out again.i guess the bills can wait another month :lol:
Was it you that picked up 2 and 3 as well? Great haul if it was!

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1327
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

If you need any help with getting rid of the doubles in the DCT comics, I am sure that I can try and help. :-)[/quote]

That's really good of you Col, greatly appreciated, thanks! :D :cheers:

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:
big bad bri wrote:i finally bought Buster issue 1.I paid way over my budget but was determined not to miss out again.i guess the bills can wait another month :lol:
Was it you that picked up 2 and 3 as well? Great haul if it was!
no i did bid and would have beat the prices they went for also 4-6 but i did not have the money :(

Post Reply