What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Digifiend

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri wrote:Cover
Strange combination of logos on that. 1980s Beano and 1940s Dandy. Definitely never seen that one before.

Just checked the Hachette partworks website on the Wayback Machine, no mention of it - so I still think it was a trial that never got fully launched.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I cant find any info on this collection on the net only the figurine collection on Lew's blog.And the hachette web link inside cover is dead, i may ring them during the week to see if anyone knows anything.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Digifiend wrote:
big bad bri wrote:Cover
Strange combination of logos on that. 1980s Beano and 1940s Dandy. Definitely never seen that one before.

Just checked the Hachette partworks website on the Wayback Machine, no mention of it - so I still think it was a trial that never got fully launched.
That's what i was thinking so this book may be worth something :lol:

abacus

Post by abacus »

=
It wasnt a a magazine its a hard back book.
edit -i tried to put 4 pics only took 1
If you had pressed on the edit button top right hand corner of your message (this appears when logged in) you could have added pics one at a time to the same message , hope this helps.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Two giant carboots today although some of the sellers were packing up at the second carboot.
Not a lot of comic related stuff but did get these annuals.
Plus these few comcs---
the whole lot of annuals and comics came to £4.50p
One woman had a box full of annuals which she said I could have for £4 which were mainly movie , pop star and school friend annuals which I declined but I did pick out the Film Fun 1954 annual and the Roy Rogers annual (seen first picture above)from her and also a Film review annual not shown here. Some other annuals were four for a pound which I may not have bought had they had been sold indivdually.
Last edited by abacus on 29 May 2016, 19:48, edited 9 times in total.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Are there any interesting strips in the Eagle Annual 1974?

abacus

Post by abacus »

Raven wrote:Are there any interesting strips in the Eagle Annual 1974?
There are not many strips actually just-
Dan Dare space poachers.
Secret of lagoon island.
A man called nimble.
Trial by battle.
Face to face with the atom bomb.

This is a book which I would not normally have collected (it not being old enough) but it came with other annuals.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Just thought I would share this.At the carboot I found a 30s cycling magazine which was full of wonderful pictures of a more tranquil age.Here are some of the many colourful pages from it showing a more restful britain although I think the chap at the seaside would be viewed with suspicion these days .The artist could be Alfred Lambart.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

abacus, re the western pocket libraries you found atthe carboot, it looks like 2 Micron books and a Sabre library but I'm looking at low def photos on your post. Any chance you could have a swatch at the indicia and let me know the publishers, please?
Also, the Roy Rogers and Gunsmoke annuals, do they contain Dell reprints, or original British stories and strips?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

[quote="abacus"]Just thought I would share this.At the carboot I found a 30s cycling magazine which was full of wonderful pictures of a more tranquil age.Here are some of the many colourful pages from it showing a more restful britain although I think the chap at the seaside would be viewed with suspicion these days .The artist could be Alfred Lambart.

What great pictures!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

abacus wrote:Here are some of the many colourful pages from it showing a more restful britain.
Hard to believe that Britain was in the grip of the Great Depression at the time! :?

abacus

Post by abacus »

paw broon wrote:abacus, re the western pocket libraries you found atthe carboot, it looks like 2 Micron books and a Sabre library but I'm looking at low def photos on your post. Any chance you could have a swatch at the indicia and let me know the publishers, please?
Also, the Roy Rogers and Gunsmoke annuals, do they contain Dell reprints, or original British stories and strips?
You're joking paw my tab camera doesn't do high res photo's :) but here's the next best thing I hope it's readable.
The roy rogers annual doesn't mention Dell ,all the info is in the following pic and the same info is on the gunsmoke annual.The garrison's gorillas (which I have never heard of before) and dr kildare annual both mention Dell.
Does that work ? all clever stuff :D
And the sabre comic is as you said.
Last edited by abacus on 30 May 2016, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

abacus

Post by abacus »

philcom55 wrote:
abacus wrote:Here are some of the many colourful pages from it showing a more restful britain.
Hard to believe that Britain was in the grip of the Great Depression at the time! :?
Obviously like the ladybird books they are idealised images but I remember as a child I could cycle into the countryside with very little traffic about and fewer major roads.
Last edited by abacus on 30 May 2016, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

abacus wrote:Obviously like the ladybird books they are idealised images but I remember as a child I could cycle into the countryside with very little traffic about and less major roads.
Definitely! We used to play tennis and football in the road too! :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I just won the flyer advertising the first three issues of Spellbound from Phil Shrimpton's current auctions. I'm not really sure where I will be able to use it but when I do decide, it will at least be available.