What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Big week for me as I managed to pick up

Smash comics x 18 - 70, 13, 59, 63, 10, 5, 58, 28, 67, 6, 16, 65, 62, 25, 4, 64, 68, 60 - I think that commits me to collecting them as I've been deliberating for ages as I already have 1, 2 & 3 with gifts.

Alan Class: Space trip to the Moon (1965), Race into Space (1961), Tales of Action comic (1965) #1, Out of this World comic x 4 (1962) (including #1). Really pleased to get these.

Valiant Summer Special 1969 + Lion and Valiant Summer Extra 1970 - my 7th and 8th Valiant specials.

Crime-Buster #1 - World Distributors - 1959

Yogi and his Toy #1 - Williams - 1972

Valiant Book of Sexton Blake - Another book for my Valiant annuals collection

Kinema #1 - Amalgamated - 1920 - Poor quality but it was pretty cheap and I don't have it but have wanted to see it since I bought Film Fun #1

abacus

Post by abacus »

Picked up my weekly reading material from my usual wednesday charity shop.

EPIC COMICS SWORDS OF THE SWASHBUCKLERS 1986---------£1
MARVEL PSI FORCE VOL1 No8 1987---------------------------£1
MARVEL PSI FORCE VOL1 No9 1987---------------------------£1
I already have a PSI comic that I have enjoyed reading hence the reason for buying two more and with my attempt to buy comics with complete stories that also limits my selection athough I still have plenty to choose from.

There is also a charity book shop across the road to this shop which also uses part of its premises as a tea and cake shop.
They had a 1958 KNOCKOUT ANNUAL FOR £2 POUND which apart from a loose cover (which could easily be repaired)
Was good value.It was good seeing the BILLY BUNTER and DEED A DAY DANNY comic strips again and that nearly persuaded me to buy it, and with hindsight I think I should have done.
They also had the large book ,best of GIRL ANNUAL which I was interested in but could find no price tag on it and figured it could be expensive anyway ,so didn't ask about it
Similarly in the first charity shop they had SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON ANNUAL again with no price tag.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

abacus wrote:Picked up my weekly reading material from my usual wednesday charity shop.

EPIC COMICS SWORDS OF THE SWASHBUCKLERS 1986---------£1
MARVEL PSI FORCE VOL1 No8 1987---------------------------£1
MARVEL PSI FORCE VOL1 No9 1987---------------------------£1
I already have a PSI comic that I have enjoyed reading hence the reason for buying two more and with my attempt to buy comics with complete stories that also limits my selection athough I still have plenty to choose from.

There is also a charity book shop across the road to this shop which also uses part of its premises as a tea and cake shop.
They had a 1958 KNOCKOUT ANNUAL FOR £2 POUND which apart from a loose cover (which could easily be repaired)
Was good value.It was good seeing the BILLY BUNTER and DEED A DAY DANNY comic strips again and that nearly persuaded me to buy it, and with hindsight I think I should have done.
They also had the large book ,best of GIRL ANNUAL which I was interested in but could find no price tag on it and figured it could be expensive anyway ,so didn't ask about it
Similarly in the first charity shop they had SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON ANNUAL again with no price tag.

I envy your choice of comics in charity shops. I went with my mother around the dozen or so charity shops in her town of Eastleigh in Hampshire where she visits regularly and not one of the shops had a single comic in them and almost all of them said they couldn't remember the last time they saw a comic! A few overpriced annuals were on offer but that was it. I was so disappointed!

I have no explanation as to why a town with a population of 120,000+ doesn't have any comics in their charity shops!? Heathens! :)

abacus

Post by abacus »

Adam Eterno wrote:

I envy your choice of comics in charity shops. I went with my mother around the dozen or so charity shops in her town of Eastleigh in Hampshire where she visits regularly and not one of the shops had a single comic in them and almost all of them said they couldn't remember the last time they saw a comic! A few overpriced annuals were on offer but that was it. I was so disappointed!

I have no explanation as to why a town with a population of 120,000+ doesn't have any comics in their charity shops!? Heathens! :)
I have only one charity shop to go to for US comics and they have four long boxes with about a 1000 comics and luckily the stock seems to sell fairly slowly and therefore what I dont buy one week is usually there the next week(I can therefore keep to a £2/3 weekly budget in there)..The only other box of comics they have are what look like '90s BEANO'S they also have lots of annuals in a children's area which has a wooded theme and seats in the shape of mushrooms .I actually envy you , you seem to be doing much better than me in buying lots of rare UK comics and I am suprised you mention overpriced annuals when to my mind I thought you must be a millionaire collector :D ( just joking but you must spend quite a lot to gather such a good collection of comics)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Just back from the Golden Orbit comic fair in Liverpool... Mostly just boxes and boxes of Marvel and DC stuff as usual, but I did find a few bits at least...

-Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters #4
-Patty Cake #1 (described by a critic's review on the cover as "Ren & Stimpy meets Peanuts" - worth a go for a pound!)
-Gizmo and the Fugitoid #2
-The Manhattan Projects #2
-The Maxx #1
-Howard the Duck #8 (Marvel Magazine Group)
-Comics Revue #60
-Grin and Bare It, #5 and #10 (compilations of "naughty comix from Europe", should be fun!)
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

As I wrote elsewhere on the site, I bought nothing at yesterday's Glasgow mart, but I did have a look in Waterstones and bought 2 of the Panini Doctor Who reprint books. The McCoy Doctor book has some lovely Arthur Ranson art.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Beano xmas special and beano and dandy 2017 annuals in Morrisons

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Not a comic but I did buy the autobiography of A Life Drawing by Geoff Jones. I am looking forward to it arriving in the next week.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

14 issues of 'Speed & Power' plus 171 issues of World of Wonder.
For a pound (including delivery).

Happy days.
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: richardandsheaf

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Richard S. wrote:14 issues of 'Speed & Power' plus 171 issues of World of Wonder.
For a pound (including delivery).

Happy days.
185 comics for a quid!? You can't get cheaper entertainment than that!

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Blimey. Surely not physical copies - must be on a disc?!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

abacus

Post by abacus »

No comics really commanding my attention in the wednesday charity comic boxes.
got.
QC QUALITY COMICS SPELLBINDERS 1988----------------£1
They have most QC titles like Judge Dredd ,Slaine , Rogue etc but to be honest something about the artwork or the colouring I find slightly off putting compared to DC or MARVEL.
I did consider buying QC Time Twisters But with each story inside seeming to consist of only 2 or 3 pages I decided to buy the Spellbinders comic instead
also got
FIRST COMICS GRIM JACK 28 1988
FIRST COMICS GRIM JACK 46 1988 /pack of 3 for a £1
FIRST COMICS GRIM JACK 47 1988
They have a few STAR TREK comics which I will start adding to my weekly buys if I don't find anything new on my next visit.
Last edited by abacus on 02 Nov 2016, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Rocket Comic #1 - Target Publications - 1935 - My 3rd Rocket #1 to add to my 1923 and 1956 versions.
Rupert and Snuffy (Rupert Adventure Series) #1 - Express - 1948
Sports Stars in Action - Free gift from Lion #1 - 1952 to add to my comic
The Flash #1 - Strato (T&P) - 1960 (only fair condition but I've been after this for a while!)
Valiant Annual 1964 - only 7 more needed!
Battle Picture Weekly #1-43 + free gifts - IPC - 1975
Magic #1 + free gift - DCT - 1976
Spike #1 - DCT - with free gift - 1983

That's emptied both of my Paypal accounts so concentrating on selling duplicates now!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

At the moment- i'm after some of the later copies of `FANTASTIC` Nos 84, 86/7/8 In some ways- though only b/w the artwork looked better than US originals because pages were larger. Example is Fantastic no 73, the large `Dr Strange` 2 pager! Looks great!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Blimey. Surely not physical copies - must be on a disc?!

No, no, physical copies :)
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: richardandsheaf