Page 341 of 474

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 02:27
by blaing
Bri, although I sold a few of my comics, Things went a little quiet, and decided in the end that I am keeping what I had. I was still going to finish collecting the issues of Sparky though

Now that I have completed my set, I won't be buying much more.

As I was sorting out my duplicates, I still found that I needed a better copy of one or two comics, but that is for the new year.

To Adam Eterno, If I had the room, I would have loved to have completed the run of Whoopee! Or Jackpot. Realistically, I only have enough room for a very short term run comic (Jet, if only for the Ken Reid Faceache strips)

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 18:35
by irishjohnp
I'm not sure I have the wallet or room to complete full runs of issues I would like. Collecting first issues could be a long shot too unless its a 1960s or later run. So I've tried to stick to a reasonable target.
Collect last issues, Easter, Fireworks & Christmas issues or issues where one joins into another. So I've got the last Comic Cuts, Illustrated Chips, Dandy (who doesn't - yep both gold & silver variants), Monster Fun & Cor! and most of the follow up issues where they joint to a new run. Looks like Buster was the last man standing.
I'd like to complete my runs of Shiver & Shake and also Monster Fun at the very least, maybe even Whoopee too. I think that do-able. It's trying to find them with white pages & no rust to staples or owner name thats the fun bit.
Also finding free gift issues. I picked up alot of 1980s Buster Comic free gifts when I bulk bought a stack of 1980s Buster comics. It was like christmas.

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 25 Nov 2016, 01:18
by Adam Eterno
irishjohnp wrote:I'm not sure I have the wallet or room to complete full runs of issues I would like. Collecting first issues could be a long shot too unless its a 1960s or later run. So I've tried to stick to a reasonable target.
Collect last issues, Easter, Fireworks & Christmas issues or issues where one joins into another. So I've got the last Comic Cuts, Illustrated Chips, Dandy (who doesn't - yep both gold & silver variants), Monster Fun & Cor! and most of the follow up issues where they joint to a new run. Looks like Buster was the last man standing.
I'd like to complete my runs of Shiver & Shake and also Monster Fun at the very least, maybe even Whoopee too. I think that do-able. It's trying to find them with white pages & no rust to staples or owner name thats the fun bit.
Also finding free gift issues. I picked up alot of 1980s Buster Comic free gifts when I bulk bought a stack of 1980s Buster comics. It was like christmas.
Wallet's and rooms can accomodate most things.....if you REALLY want them! :D

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 25 Nov 2016, 01:28
by Adam Eterno
Busy day why on a flying visit to London

Popples #1 - Marvel - 1987 with free gifts
Action Double Double Comics #1 - T&P -1967
Batman Double Double Comics #1 - T&P - 1967
Dan'l Boone #1 - L. Miler which I think was World Distributers - 1955?

The remainder of the many Picture Libraries that I've recently bought turned up as well but have to look at them tomorrow.

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 25 Nov 2016, 21:21
by Richard S.
Paul temple library #4 - a Micron publication

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 14:48
by geoff42
Just back from Tescoes with this year's annuals - Beano and Dandy, both at half price. I can't stop sniffing them at moment because I just love that fresh smell of a new book :P

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 16:41
by TwoHeadedBoy
Nice and interesting bundle through the post today :D

-Issues 16 of Pulp (1992), from when it was combined with Ziggy to make some sort of "super comic"
-The Xmas special of the same
-The Big Lift #1 (1987) with free postcards
-Bumper Knoackabout Trial Special (1984, hardback thing featuring Hunt Emerson, Cliff Harper, Steve Bell, George Szostek, Chris Welch, Savage Pencil, John Dowie, Alan Moore etc)
-Superwest Comics #1 (1987) by Massimo Mattioli (another nice hardback thing) - lots of copyright infringement fun in this one

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 27 Nov 2016, 22:06
by starscape
Got a load of Victors from 1980-1 during my trip to Aberdour to see the Castle. Funnily enough, I was desperate to get to the collectables shop in North Berwick during a visit to another castle yesterday but couldn't as had to get back for Linlithgow's torchlight procession.

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 01:02
by Adam Eterno
A quiet weekend thank goodness with Compal's auction finishing with prices reaching out of my "happy" zone and not much grabbing me on Ebay I enjoyed the evening at the football rather than frantically bidding all over the place!

I did manage to acquire 3 items though:

Noddy Time #1 - Woman's Way - 1975
Valiant Book of Sports - 1973
Arizona Kid #1 (only issue) - Streamline - 1952

Off to the Wirral and Chester this week so will try to get some time to search for comic-selling charity shops!

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 01:10
by big bad bri
blaing wrote:Bri, although I sold a few of my comics, Things went a little quiet, and decided in the end that I am keeping wha

To Adam Eterno, If I had the room, I would have loved to have completed the run of Whoopee! Or Jackpot. Realistically, I only have enough room for a very short term run comic (Jet, if only for the Ken Reid Faceache strips)
there's always room to be found lol

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 01:25
by big bad bri
irishjohnp wrote: I'd like to complete my runs of Shiver & Shake and also Monster Fun at the very least, maybe even Whoopee too. I think that do-able. It's trying to find them with white pages & no rust to staples or owner name thats the fun bit.
Also finding free gift issues. I picked up alot of 1980s Buster Comic free gifts when I bulk bought a stack of 1980s Buster comics. It was like christmas.
i recently completed my run of whoopee it was such a sweet feeling :lol:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 02:02
by irishjohnp
big bad bri wrote:
irishjohnp wrote: I'd like to complete my runs of Shiver & Shake and also Monster Fun at the very least, maybe even Whoopee too. I think that do-able. It's trying to find them with white pages & no rust to staples or owner name thats the fun bit.
Also finding free gift issues. I picked up alot of 1980s Buster Comic free gifts when I bulk bought a stack of 1980s Buster comics. It was like christmas.
i recently completed my run of whoopee it was such a sweet feeling :lol:
git! lol

what next?

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 14:30
by babington
Today I am the proud owner of a copy of the Swedish version of Buster from 1967.
buster-1.jpg
buster-2.jpg

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 15:09
by TwoHeadedBoy
Wow, didn't even know that existed :D

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 16:43
by philcom55
Fascinating - it looks like a combination of characters from Buster and Tiger & Hurricane. Generally speaking the writers and artists knew nothing about these foreign editions of their work unless they travelled abroad on holiday!