What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by koollectablz »

Few holiday specials:

TV Comic 1968 & 1969
Smash! 1970
Tiger 1971 (first one)

I do like holiday specials. I often think I should have just concentrated on collecting those rather than actual runs of any one title.

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1324
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote: I do like holiday specials. I often think I should have just concentrated on collecting those rather than actual runs of any one title.

I know what you mean! Complete stories and usually a strong storyline at that. They can be more difficult to get hold of due to the nature of what they were. I remember being allowed to buy a couple on my summer week in Bournemouth as a kid and they were not in the best of condition when we finally got home!

I've been buying the various Valiant Holiday specials to complete my comics and I've really enjoyed reading them.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Lew Stringer »

Adam Eterno wrote:
koollectablz wrote: I do like holiday specials. I often think I should have just concentrated on collecting those rather than actual runs of any one title.

I know what you mean! Complete stories and usually a strong storyline at that. They can be more difficult to get hold of due to the nature of what they were. I remember being allowed to buy a couple on my summer week in Bournemouth as a kid and they were not in the best of condition when we finally got home!

I've been buying the various Valiant Holiday specials to complete my comics and I've really enjoyed reading them.
The disadvantage with the IPC specials is that they often used different artists than on the weekly strips, and not always for the better. However, a big advantage is that those 96 page specials reprinted some great material!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1632
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:
koollectablz wrote: I do like holiday specials. I often think I should have just concentrated on collecting those rather than actual runs of any one title.

I know what you mean! Complete stories and usually a strong storyline at that. They can be more difficult to get hold of due to the nature of what they were. I remember being allowed to buy a couple on my summer week in Bournemouth as a kid and they were not in the best of condition when we finally got home!

I've been buying the various Valiant Holiday specials to complete my comics and I've really enjoyed reading them.
The disadvantage with the IPC specials is that they often used different artists than on the weekly strips, and not always for the better. However, a big advantage is that those 96 page specials reprinted some great material!
Both the specials and the annuals were great bumper reads despite the different artists, Lew.
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1324
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

True 3.D #1 (and only) - Harvey - 1954 with free gift of 3D glasses!
Legend Horror Classics #1 - Legend - 1975 with free gift Dracula poster
Valiant Annual 1984 - the last one issued - 8 more to go
Johnny Law Sky Ranger Adventures #1 - WDL - 1955
Crack Western - nn but I think it was the first - TV Boardman - 1948
Blazing West #1 and only (nn) - Streamline - 1952
Mandrake the Magician #1 - L Miller - 1961 - My 2nd Mandrake #1 in a month t add to the WAL version
Lone Rider #1 - Pembertons - 1950
Whoopee #1-4 and Cracker #1 and #4 - as they were going cheap so as usual, I'll compare the condition to my collection and sell on ASAP.

I also managed to pick up another Dark Tower Graphic Novel, The Way Station, which gives me 9 to enjoy over Christmas!

User avatar
starscape
Posts: 978
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 14:51
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by starscape »

Went to Melrose for the day. There's an old bookshop with some annuals etc. Nothing I really wanted but like to buy something to keep up the interest, so I got the Beano #1 facsimile.

They bookseller did say he had a number of comics somewhere, which wasn't a lot of use to me given they weren't on display in the shop. Commando were mentioned which might interest a certain Fifer.

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3847
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

starscape wrote:Went to Melrose for the day. There's an old bookshop with some annuals etc. Nothing I really wanted but like to buy something to keep up the interest, so I got the Beano #1 facsimile.

They bookseller did say he had a number of comics somewhere, which wasn't a lot of use to me given they weren't on display in the shop. Commando were mentioned which might interest a certain Fifer.
Fifer by necessity, not by design :-) Did he give you any idea of what numbers he had?

Oh and I purchased the hard back copy of The Mighty One direct from the Mighty One himself tonight also. I am more than a little pleased with the dedication.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
blaing
Posts: 899
Joined: 07 May 2010, 01:22
Location: SE Queensland, Australia

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

This will be my final purchase this year (unless something shows up on eBay in the next week or two)

The Christmas issue of Beano, the December issue of Danger Mouse and the Derek the Troll comic from Lew Stringer..

User avatar
starscape
Posts: 978
Joined: 17 Jul 2011, 14:51
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by starscape »

colcool007 wrote:
starscape wrote:Commando were mentioned
Did he give you any idea of what numbers he had?
'Fraid not.

Not quite comics but I did also pick up a couple of batches of Smash Hits! and No.1's from the early 80s. £1.99 for what must be a year's worth each. Not mostly my music but that time does include Smiths, New Order, Siouxsie etc.

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1324
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

A great Sunday shopping with two sellers on Ebay got me some real gems:

The Mummy #1 and only - T&P - 1963
Voodoo #1 - L Miller - 1961
Famous Stories in Pictures #1 - Oliver Twist - Bairns - 1955
Mike Shayne Private Eye #1 - Top Sellers - 1962
Charles Rand #1 - T&P - 1966
Undercover Picture Library #1 - Famepress - 1964
Story Time #1 + Gift - Odhams - 1965
Free gift from Wham #3 - Draughts Puzzle - now I need the comic!

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3847
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Just won the Ebay lot of 163 Wizards between 1945 and 1954. That should keep me quiet for a wee while!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
paw broon
Posts: 1215
Joined: 29 Jan 2011, 19:13
Location: Falkirk, Scotland

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by paw broon »

Congratulations to Adam and Colin. That Charles Rand, apart from having awful art, is quite unusual nowadays, and I'm sure I have the Mike Shayne (plus one of the Dell issues). I'm curious about The Mummy. Is that the Dell reprint material, or something entirely different?
Colin, I'm sure they will keep you going, so you wont have time for a couple of pocket libraries I picked up for you today. Shame, that. It's only 2 issues of Battle Picture Library and 2 Starblazer. I'll bring them next time you grace us with your presence. :wink:

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1324
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

paw broon wrote:Congratulations to Adam and Colin. That Charles Rand, apart from having awful art, is quite unusual nowadays, and I'm sure I have the Mike Shayne (plus one of the Dell issues). I'm curious about The Mummy. Is that the Dell reprint material, or something entirely different?
Colin, I'm sure they will keep you going, so you wont have time for a couple of pocket libraries I picked up for you today. Shame, that. It's only 2 issues of Battle Picture Library and 2 Starblazer. I'll bring them next time you grace us with your presence. :wink:
Cheers Paw. The Charles Rand arrived today and you're right about the artwork! Mike Shayne is a little better......but not much.

The Mummy is a one off and is a reprint of Dell #537 from 1962. This is the actual copy I've bought although it is yet to arrive.
Attachments
Rand.jpg
Shayne.jpg
Mummy.jpg

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1632
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by SID »

I bought the last ever Thunderbirds Are Go (issue 16).

Not bad but strange that there was no mention of it being the last issue.
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

Hawkeye
Posts: 275
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 10:35

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Hawkeye »

Recently bought a complete run of Wizard comics from 1922 - 1924, from #1 through to #106. Don't think my family will be seeing much of me over the next few weeks.

Also Triumph comic #2 from 1924, Rocket comic #4 from 1923 (already got the free gift 'Famous Knock-out' photo which came with it), plus quite a few free gift booklets from Adventure, Rover and Wizard from the 30s.

I bought 28 Popular Flying magazines a few weeks ago from the 30s, only paid £2.40 for them, and I was pleased to find that 8 of them contained Biggles stories. I'm reading them first before starting on the Wizards.

Post Reply