What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1302
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno » 03 Sep 2018, 23:23

big bad bri wrote: i saw phils post so now know well done on getting it and now i bet you will want to complete the entire run like i would lol
I collect British #1s predominantly so I'm more interested in getting hold of Dandy #1 and Magic #1 etc but they'll have to wait for a while as I need to clear a massive amount of my collection that are doubles or extras that I've picked up over the years that I don't really have an interest in to try and recoup some, at least. of my outlay.
I've spent tonight getting a load more on Ebay as they very nicely offered my a max £1 selling fee again!

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4679
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac » 04 Sep 2018, 07:56

There was a small piece in last Friday's Daily Star about the Beano 1 sale.

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by koollectablz » 04 Sep 2018, 14:48

Congrats!

Is that the copy that he tried at £25k on eBay or a different one?

£16k seems like a very good buy if its the eBay one.

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4679
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac » 04 Sep 2018, 17:28

My mistake, the Daily Star piece was about the first Beano annual fetching £2700.00 at auction.

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1302
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno » 04 Sep 2018, 18:12

koollectablz wrote:Congrats!

Is that the copy that he tried at £25k on eBay or a different one?

£16k seems like a very good buy if its the eBay one.
It’s the one from EBay......I couldn’t resist it!

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3793
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 » 04 Sep 2018, 18:56

Does paying for my Badia Romero commission count as buying as I definitely did that!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by koollectablz » 04 Sep 2018, 19:57

Adam Eterno wrote:
koollectablz wrote:Congrats!

Is that the copy that he tried at £25k on eBay or a different one?

£16k seems like a very good buy if its the eBay one.
It’s the one from EBay......I couldn’t resist it!
Then yea I think that’s a very good buy, you can’t really go wrong when you buy the very best copy of an item, even if it seems expensive at the time. You’ll never need to upgrade it at least!

I actually think it would have gone for more if he’d have listed it at 99p start on auction. But then a beano in the hand...

That Dandy #1 looked a bit rough though, just shows what a good copy you have.

Genuinely very pleased for you! :cheers:

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1302
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno » 04 Sep 2018, 20:31

koollectablz wrote:
I actually think it would have gone for more if he’d have listed it at 99p start on auction. But then a beano in the hand...

That Dandy #1 looked a bit rough though, just shows what a good copy you have.

Genuinely very pleased for you! :cheers:
Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I thought long and hard and when I made the offer, to be honest, I was surprised Phil accepted but my thought process was the same as yours in that it is close to the best, if not already the best conditioned Beano #1 I've seen out there.

User avatar
babington
Posts: 267
Joined: 01 Feb 2010, 22:24

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by babington » 04 Sep 2018, 22:34

Adam Eterno, do you by any chance have a link to the ebay listings you've put up? Always interested in British no. 1s!

User avatar
blaing
Posts: 872
Joined: 07 May 2010, 01:22
Location: SE Queensland, Australia

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing » 05 Sep 2018, 12:21

After my failed attempt at getting the first Buster and Monster Fun in July, I finally struck gold on eBay tonight

Now for those pesky 1990 issues of Topper (I missed out on them a few weeks ago.)

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3793
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 » 05 Sep 2018, 15:19

Just bought Sniper Elite: Resistance and it feels like one of Garth Ennis' War Stories. A wee bit pricey at £2.99, but I am going to support it as a certain bunch of rodents are making an appearance in issue 3!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by koollectablz » 05 Sep 2018, 21:55

colcool007 wrote:Just bought Sniper Elite: Resistance and it feels like one of Garth Ennis' War Stories. A wee bit pricey at £2.99, but I am going to support it as a certain bunch of rodents are making an appearance in issue 3!
I found myself reading this in smiths, I really liked it!

big bad bri
Posts: 1753
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri » 06 Sep 2018, 00:10

I bought Sniper elite today too and the Deadpool partwork issue 1,there is way too many of these lovely partworks out now and i have to choose 1 to at least collect all the way lol

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7279
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Digifiend » 06 Sep 2018, 22:07

koollectablz wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Just bought Sniper Elite: Resistance and it feels like one of Garth Ennis' War Stories. A wee bit pricey at £2.99, but I am going to support it as a certain bunch of rodents are making an appearance in issue 3!
I found myself reading this in smiths, I really liked it!
It's not a library! Did you actually buy it?

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by koollectablz » 06 Sep 2018, 22:52

Digifiend wrote:
koollectablz wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Just bought Sniper Elite: Resistance and it feels like one of Garth Ennis' War Stories. A wee bit pricey at £2.99, but I am going to support it as a certain bunch of rodents are making an appearance in issue 3!
I found myself reading this in smiths, I really liked it!
It's not a library! Did you actually buy it?
Oh yea my bad, I ponied up for it in the end. Very pleasantly surprised at how readable it was. It’s simple in the way that the vigilant isn’t and so makes for a decent read.

Post Reply