Alternate Perceptions

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Freddy

Alternate Perceptions

Post by Old Freddy »

Anyone you know who's not very well educated in the world of Comics?

I can remember somebody saying that he enjoyed reading Beryl the Peril "From the Buster..."

Once on a programme on the Radio, someone once said "You know the Numskulls, from the Dandy comics..."
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Digifiend

Re: Alternate Perceptions

Post by Digifiend »

Beryl, in Buster? That's not even the right publisher! :lol: Topper and Dandy were the right comics, or even Beezer if you count the merged comic (I think they meant Beezer to be honest). As for Numskulls, Beano or Beezer would've been correct - did they think The Beezer and Topper actually merged with The Dandy, instead of what really happened, which is the strips being redistributed between Beano and Dandy randomly? :x

Another example: on Comics Britannia, then-Beano editor Euan Kerr was referred to as the Dandy editor, and then-Dandy editor Morris Heggie was referred to as the Beano editor. This was on captions when they were being interviewed in episode 1. Also, this was around the time Alan Digby and Craig Graham took over from them.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

I remember seeing that. Speaking of Comics Britannia, the episode was "The Beano and the Dandy 1950s onwards" but It seems more like "The story of Ken Reid and Leo Baxendale".

Navigation altered

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I remember hearing someone saying that DAVID MELLOR looked like PLUG 'out of the Bash Street Mob', which I found highly amusing......

DAVID MELLOR

PLUG

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Old Freddy wrote:Anyone you know who's not very well educated in the world of Comics?
Yes, most people unfortunately.

To be fair, quite often they're talking about things they stopped reading when they grew out of childhood, so although it seems important to us, it's nothing to them. To the public at large comics are trash, and in their eyes those of us working in the biz don't have a "proper job".

We should be lucky they manage to remember the characters names, never mind what comic they appeared in. :lol:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I remember hearing someone saying that DAVID MELLOR looked like PLUG 'out of the Bash Street Mob', which I found highly amusing......
He looks more like Erbert! And fancy not knowing that it's the Bash Street Kids... what a Smiffy!

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

A strange Coincidence was that somebody said they Read Beryl the Peril in the Dandy! (They had probably stopped reading the books possibly 20 or so years before Beryl became a dandy star)

Once, when I was reading the Dandy book 1998, I was reading Blinky and someone saw him. I showed them the strip where Blinky digs a hole to australia. They said "She looks kinda ugly" Even though blinky is male.

I think that even before the merge the Topper and the Beezer were very similar and easy to get confused with one another. Many people have said things like Baby Crockett being from the Topper, etc.

There are some people that have something very wrong with their Brains. One of the things they said was "The Beano and the Dandy died!" As if that even makes sense. Paper is made from Dead wood. How can it die???

Navigation altered

Raven

Post by Raven »

Old Freddy wrote: There are some people that have something very wrong with their Brains. One of the things they said was "The Beano and the Dandy died!" As if that even makes sense. Paper is made from Dead wood. How can it die???

Considering that 'die' can quite correctly mean all sorts of things from ceasing functioning, to failure, to becoming indifferent, to losing strength, to metaphorically mean 'as good as dead,' and so on, I'm not sure why they'd have something very wrong with their brains there. Rumours die, too, and they're just made of thoughts and words.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Plus, they haven't died, they're still around, although The Dandy is a shadow of its former self, and judging by its low sales, perhaps it will die soon, sadly.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Raven wrote:
Old Freddy wrote: There are some people that have something very wrong with their Brains. One of the things they said was "The Beano and the Dandy died!" As if that even makes sense. Paper is made from Dead wood. How can it die???

Considering that 'die' can quite correctly mean all sorts of things from ceasing functioning, to failure, to becoming indifferent, to losing strength, to metaphorically mean 'as good as dead,' and so on, I'm not sure why they'd have something very wrong with their brains there. Rumours die, too, and they're just made of thoughts and words.
Well they're really just saying that to wind me up, methinks. It used to be "Spongebob's Dead" but that's old now. They're doing it to confuse me, and for me to think they're stupid, but I actually know they're stupid.

Navigation altered

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Sorry for the Double Post, (Needed to bring the thread to the front) but I have a theory about the Numskulls being in the dandy; The Beano and the Dandy are DC Thomson's primary comics, while the Beezer and the Toper were their Secondary ones, while Sparky, Nutty, Cracker, Hoot! and other comics were tertiary. not everyone remembers the name of the Beezer, so they refer to it as the nearest thing they can associate it with, Which in this case is the dandy; possibly because Beezer Comic libraries were sold as Dandy Comic libraries, and there was definitely a numskulls comic library that was sold as being a Dandy one.

Dave Mellor doesn't look a thing like plug lol! Not even when plug was first drawn did he look like him!

Navigation altered

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Old Freddy wrote:Paper is made from Dead wood. How can it die???
You could always seek the answer to your question by burning it, Freddy. Fire certainly converts lots of living matter into dead matter when given the chance. It would have been possible to get confirmation of this from all those witches and other enemies of the state whose matter was converted by just that method, at the stake, during the Spanish Inquisition, for example, always assuming of course that they were in any condition after the event to comment on the issue.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

The trouble is, Paper was never alive after it was turned into paper. those people are just winding me up. They also have the tendency to turn off a computer when I'm in the middle of doing some work on it. :offtopic2:

Being back on topic, have you noticed that on the few Dennis the menace/beano videos on YouTube, nearly all the comments are to do with confusion between the British Dennis and the American one? Even though the American one came out first (BY THREE DAYS!!!!) I still think of the British one as being the proper one, since he's a proper menace. The American one's more like Oor Wullie than Dennis.

Navigation altered

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Simple answer to that one - in America, our Dennis is never marketed without Gnasher - that's why the 1996 Dennis the Menace cartoon was renamed Dennis and Gnasher, which is also the name of the new TV series. Likewise, the US Dennis the Menace cartoon was only called Dennis here. If The Beano existed in the US, maybe the confusion would be cleared up, because people would then recognise the Menace. For some reason, you can buy it in Canada, but not the States. You'd think the import costs would be the same for both countries, since they're so close together.

I'm sure if either Dennis had come out, say, a month earlier, the other one would've had a different name. DC Thomson and the owner of the US Dennis were caught out by each other's launch, and thus cannot trademark the brand in each other's countries. Which in this age of international commerce and media, must be frustrating to both companies.

Re your earlier post Old Freddy: Nutty characters (well, Bananaman at least) appeared in Beano libraries. Beezer and Topper characters appeared in Dandy libraries. After the launch of the Fun-Sizes, Sparky was also used in the Dandy ones. This means that The Numskulls and Bananaman have appeared in both Beano and Dandy libraries. The only exception to the rule is Jonah, who still appeared in Beano comic libraries after he debuted in The Dandy weekly comic.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Digifiend wrote:Nutty characters (well, Bananaman at least) appeared in Beano libraries
So did the Wild Rovers (No.18). The Nutty characters were lost to the Dandy libraries when the main comic folded into the Dandy.

I would guess, with the benefit of years of hindsight, that there was an attempt to prop up the Dandy with the Beezer and Topper, and to prop up Nutty with the Beano.