The 2010 Annual Covers!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

MikeC

Re: The 2010 Annual Covers!

Post by MikeC »

Edited For Accuracy.

Not usually meant as a correction, more a tongue-in-cheek counterpoint to the original phraseology. :)

i.e. maybe Egmont didn't 'fail' to make a Toxic annual, they decided the content wouldn't be suitable. Your 'failure' implies some fault or negligence, that is all. :)

Mike

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well considering Toxic's popularity, it would probably make good business sense for them to do one. But you're right, the content might not be suitable for an annual, I already suggested it would be too topical. They probably can't do what Dandy does, as they don't have the history to refer to. Thanks for explaining what EFA is.

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

No problem.

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

All annual covers, including Dennis and Gnasher, are now on the DCT website:
http://ecommerce1.dcthomson.co.uk/code/main.asp
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hmm, I spy Pedigree annuals on the site, did they buy them out, because WWE is amongst them, so it would also explain how they got the rights to do the WWE Kids comic.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Not convinced by the new look Dennis. Gnasher looks wrong! However, I will definitely be buying the Beano annual and Bash St Kids annual. By the way, great cover by Nigel for the Dandy annual, and I like the David Parkins one for the Bash St Kids book.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Looking at the picture below, has the Dennis annual moved towards a Pedigree-type spine? I always liked the DCT ones.

Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Raven

Post by Raven »

I think the Dandy one's definitely the best.

The 'Winter Games' one really does look more like front or end papers.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sadly, its the real cover. Had the one on DCT's site been different, I would've posted it with the Dennis cover.

http://www.pedigreebooks.com/ - this will be the website for Pedigree Annuals. It's nothing but a mailing list subscription right now, probably goes fully live next month.

The BBC still has a site up for the 1996 Dennis series. I suppose they'll have to archive it the same way they did the cult section, so they can reuse the url for the new one. http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/cartoons/tv/dennis/

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Sadly, its the real cover. Had the one on DCT's site been different, I would've posted it with the Dennis cover.
I quite like the Golden Years cover. I never did care for the previous style really, but this one looks quite striking in its simplicity and more of a book for collectors.

I like the Dennis & Gnasher Annual cover too. Limited colours, but it really stands out. Covers of comics and annuals today can often be too garish and cluttered so these two books should look quite bold on the shelves.

Pity the kids in that promo photo look completely disinterested in the book though! I wonder if it was just a dummy book full of blank pages? :lol:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Have to say I like the Golden Years cover as well ITS more in keeping with the contents to me (and very stylish IMHO). I don't see much difference with the Dennis character on th enew cover to be honest (although to be fair I don't see Dennis that often) and the cover looks striking to me (what happened to his monobrow scowl ? he does look a bit too "nice" the big softy)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Sadly, its the real cover. Had the one on DCT's site been different, I would've posted it with the Dennis cover.
I quite like the Golden Years cover. I never did care for the previous style really, but this one looks quite striking in its simplicity and more of a book for collectors.
The old style actually looks a lot like the early Bunty annuals. Hardly original. Adding Sixty 60 Years just made it too cluttered, and while I agree a change was overdue (they should've changed it two years ago when they changed it to 70 Years) this design doesn't sit right with me - I agree with Raven, it's like endpapers. Let's have more colour, with maybe a picture similar to those used on Classics from the Comics.

They've always been books for collectors haven't they? How many kids reading a modern all-comic strip Beano or Dandy would've even heard of the characters in the third book, Great Stories from the First Fifty Years, for example, which only featured adventure strips and text stories? They'd probably only recognise General Jumbo, who had just restarted in The Beano Book at the time.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I personally like the Golden Years cover as well, though it would be good if they got Ken Harrison to do a cover like he normally does for Classics. It has that nice traditional look to it. Anyway, isn't it nice that DCT has released books like this for us? Possibly the reason why there's no Classics-style cover is that Classics is aimed both at collectors and children, whereas the books are more for aficionados.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson