Breaking the Fourth Wall!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

Re: Breaking the Fourth Wall!

Post by tony ingram »

Steve Henderson wrote:Bobs met Ivy in a few of the annuals, shes sick of the sight of him now!! :lol:

Its not british but Marvel comics 'Deadpool' often breaks the fourth wall and references other issues specifically in his stories.

I always used to like 'Readers Voice' although as a kid I wasn't sure if it was a script for me (as the reader) to read outloud! Thats pretty unique to british comics.
If you're talking American comics, the prime example has to be the originally English John Byrne's She Hulk series, in which Shulkie was not only perfectly aware that she was a comic character, but would routinely berate Byrne for the messes he got her into. At one point, she becomes tired of the narrative dragging and takes a short cut by tearing through into the next page...

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Found it!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I particularly like the fake comics catalogue, which must have taken ages...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The Smart Art panel in The Topper that Phil posted was almost certainly influenced by Our Artist At Work, which started on the back page of The Rover in issue 341 (Oct. 27 1928) and ran there until 376 (Jun. 29 1929). These three examples all date from early 1929. I apologise for the quality of the scans but they are taken from poorish-quality photocopies. I think the fun still comes through. To my untutored eye the artist would seem to be Allan Morley.
Attachments
oaaw1.jpg
oaaw2.jpg
oaaw3.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

a lot of very inventive stuff above.......possibly they are influenced by this MAX FLEISCHER series OUT of the INKWELL:

the above seems to be a later example, but this series definately dated back to the 1920s.....I'm not sure which influenced what: the films or the comics.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

a lot of very inventive stuff above.......possibly they are influenced by this MAX FLEISCHER series OUT of the INKWELL:

the above seems to be a later example, but this series definately dated back to the 1920s.....I'm not sure which influenced what: the films or the comics.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

phoenix4ever wrote:The Smart Art panel in The Topper that Phil posted was almost certainly influenced by Our Artist At Work, which started on the back page of The Rover in issue 341 (Oct. 27 1928) and ran there until 376 (Jun. 29 1929). These three examples all date from early 1929. I apologise for the quality of the scans but they are taken from poorish-quality photocopies. I think the fun still comes through. To my untutored eye the artist would seem to be Allan Morley.
That's definitely Allan Morley, the second one has the same character design as his later Big Fat Joe strip from Beano #1.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Digi. Perhaps I'm not so untutored as I thought I was. Maybe Lew might now therefore have a look at my conjecture on a different thread that the Roy Wilson cat that he believed didn't have a name is actually called Smarty.