eBay free postage policy

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

django

eBay free postage policy

Post by django »

Just thought I'd bring this to you guys attention, eBay have just introduced a new policy where sellers have to provide free post and packing on "media" items (which includes comics), obviously, sellers are not absorbing the cost of post and packing and are adding it to the price of the item, the problem is that where previously sellers would incorporate multiple purchases into one delivery and discount the post and packing there is now no facility for doing this, for example, the seller I get my comics from used to charge £1.35 for the first comic and then 30p for each additional comic, now, he's had to add £1.00 to all his prices, that means that last week the postage on 10 comics would have been £4.00 but this week it equates to £10, this is just ridiculous and is gonna make buying comics from eBay prohibitively expensive!.

Phoenix
Guru

Re: eBay free postage policy

Post by Phoenix »

This issue has been raised before on this forum, django, but thanks for drawing our attention to this idiocy once again.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

django wrote:Just thought I'd bring this to you guys attention, eBay have just introduced a new policy where sellers have to provide free post and packing on "media" items (which includes comics), obviously, sellers are not absorbing the cost of post and packing and are adding it to the price of the item, the problem is that where previously sellers would incorporate multiple purchases into one delivery and discount the post and packing there is now no facility for doing this, for example, the seller I get my comics from used to charge £1.35 for the first comic and then 30p for each additional comic, now, he's had to add £1.00 to all his prices, that means that last week the postage on 10 comics would have been £4.00 but this week it equates to £10, this is just ridiculous and is gonna make buying comics from eBay prohibitively expensive!.
It's crazy, but to be fair the sellers don't *have* to add a pound per comic. I've just had a quick look and noticed that some dealers have raised their comic prices by about 30p each, which was the price they were previously charging for postage per additional comic. So no difference really. Some sellers are still charging postage by the way. Shop around.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
django wrote:Just thought I'd bring this to you guys attention, eBay have just introduced a new policy where sellers have to provide free post and packing on "media" items (which includes comics), obviously, sellers are not absorbing the cost of post and packing and are adding it to the price of the item, the problem is that where previously sellers would incorporate multiple purchases into one delivery and discount the post and packing there is now no facility for doing this, for example, the seller I get my comics from used to charge £1.35 for the first comic and then 30p for each additional comic, now, he's had to add £1.00 to all his prices, that means that last week the postage on 10 comics would have been £4.00 but this week it equates to £10, this is just ridiculous and is gonna make buying comics from eBay prohibitively expensive!.
It's crazy, but to be fair the sellers don't *have* to add a pound per comic. I've just had a quick look and noticed that some dealers have raised their comic prices by about 30p each, which was the price they were previously charging for postage per additional comic. So no difference really. Some sellers are still charging postage by the way. Shop around.

Lew
That only works if the original postage cost was less than the price of the comic. I've used ebay to sell on low end items at 99p. Obviously, I can't afford to do that anymore as P&P on them-if properly packaged-is around £1.75. All ebay are going to do is drive away small sellers and stop buyers getting a bargain.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

tony ingram wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:

Lew
That only works if the original postage cost was less than the price of the comic. I've used ebay to sell on low end items at 99p. Obviously, I can't afford to do that anymore as P&P on them-if properly packaged-is around £1.75. All ebay are going to do is drive away small sellers and stop buyers getting a bargain.

Very true, however I assumed django was talking about buying new American comics. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Lew

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I have a massive comic collection that, since I had a loft conversion, I've been trying to reduce via ebay. I'm still trying to work out the best way around the new 'compulsory free p&p' charges they are putting on comics.

I try to put my comics up in small 'lots' for not-so-rare comics eg. 10 x 2000AD or 3 x Buster etc and I always set postage and packing to cover the exact cost of my Jiffys plus postage and, indeed, offer reduced p&p for multiple wins.

So right now, I list 10 x 2000AD at a listing price of £2.99 and p&p of £2.75. I guess in future I have to list as £5.75 with 'FREE' postage and packing as if I listed as £2.99 I would end up netting just 25p and thats BEFORE ebay take their fees from me.

I can understand where ebay came up with this idea - there were a lot of items from unscrupulous sellers being listed as £0.01 starting price but with £24.99 p&p for, for example, a Nintendo DS game or something like that but were comics EVER a problem in this respect?

I know there are other sites out there I could use (26 Pigs etc) but it's being able to get the widest audience that's gonna help me 'liquidate' my collection!

I guess it will work itself out eventually, but I think they didnt really look at the category properly before deciding to make this compulsory. Even before the 'free' postage they put a topside limit on of £2.75. I guess this was dictated from the USA where predominantly comics are smaller and lighter in weight and generally listed individually.

We'll see how it pans out I suppose but it seems a little ridiculous to me...

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

I can't see the point of this thread because I haven't noticed any changes on ebay, either as a buyer or as a seller. All sellers I have checked are still charging p/p and ebay allows me to enter p/p cost for my ebay listings. Nor have I received an ebay notice about policy changes. Have I missed something? :?
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:I can't see the point of this thread because I haven't noticed any changes on ebay, either as a buyer or as a seller. All sellers I have checked are still charging p/p and ebay allows me to enter p/p cost for my ebay listings. Nor have I received an ebay notice about policy changes. Have I missed something? :?
Yes. The announcement went out to sellers some weeks ago but doesn't come into force until the 19th of this month-next Monday. It applies to all media categories including comics.

brisey

Post by brisey »

The rub is eBay raised commision charges to 9%,to allow people to list for under a pound for free.As you put the post costs into the price,to absorb the postage costs you have to pay 9% of post costs plus pay 10p to list

You can chose freight as an option and charge postage but is this is supposed to be for heavier items.if people take the mickey on this,it will disappear too.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

brisey wrote:The rub is eBay raised commision charges to 9%,to allow people to list for under a pound for free.As you put the post costs into the price,to absorb the postage costs you have to pay 9% of post costs plus pay 10p to list

You can chose freight as an option and charge postage but is this is supposed to be for heavier items.if people take the mickey on this,it will disappear too.
Freight is only really an option for batches or heavy books. Some of my listings still have a week or so to run, but I have no idea where I'll sell my cheaper items then...

brisey

Post by brisey »

Freight is only really an option for batches or heavy books. Some of my listings still have a week or so to run, but I have no idea where I'll sell my cheaper items then...
That is supposed to happen but sellers are putting freight for individual comics.Will eBay wear it,we will have to see.
Example chosen at random http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEANO-780-29-6-57 ... 35a45c1ba8

I may end up throwing some comics away as it seems that it is just to pricy/time consuming to sell recently and storage costs are not getting cheaper.Especially as very little sells in this recession.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: Do a car boot sale or something, don't just throw them out!