Winter/Christmas Special? Help with a date.

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

brisey

Re: Winter/Christmas Special? Help with a date.

Post by brisey »

I do not know if I am allowed to do this but here goes.

I put my Lancashire Special on Sale on eBay today.Item 370348158965.

If this breaks any rules on the boards feel free to delete

Brian

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

brisey wrote:I do not know if I am allowed to do this but here goes.

I put my Lancashire Special on Sale on eBay today.Item 370348158965.

If this breaks any rules on the boards feel free to delete

Brian
Have Diana's got any full page pop pictures in?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:Have Diana's got any full page pop pictures in?
They did have eventually, steelclaw, but I wouldn't bother looking much before the end of 1971 because, although the paper was running Diana Pop Club from I think sometime late in 1970, the full-page colour photographs tended to be of film stars, some of whom were also singers like Sacha Distel and David Soul. To give you an example, issue 440 (July 24 1971) has the photo of Distel plus two other pages in Pop Club. One page is devoted to an interview with Olivia Newton-John about fashion, the other is a chat with Dave Cousins of The Strawbs about his career. On the letters page there is a Film Spot, which here deals with Black Beauty. At this time Diana was calling itself The Paper For Girls Who Love Good Stories. I have a long gap in my collection after 450, my next issue being 562 (November 24 1973). There are full-page colour photos of Peters and Lee and Barry Blue in this issue, now calling itself Your Big Pop And Story Paper. In 570 (January 19 1974) even that subtitle has disappeared but there are single-page photos of Don McLean and Colin Blunstone along with a double-page centre spread of The New Seekers. By the last issue 720 (December 4 1976), I don't even remember the featured artists, let alone recognise them. I hope that helps. Further information may be forthcoming from Kashgar, who I believe has rather more of the later issues than I do.

brisey

Post by brisey »

I think Phoenix is right about the Pinups.They were some of the ropier acts of the 70's.The only one with male street cred from those days was Cat Stevens.

They do have articles about artists like the Bee Gees

They seem to loooooove the New Seekers who pop up every where.Strangely from one article I see that one lived two doors down from my Nan-small world

They were not just pop stars though also actors.One issue has Pete Duel and another Leonard Nimoy

Please read what I have said about condition,for the most part these are comics that will fill a hole in your collection until something better comes along

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

brisey wrote:Please read what I have said about condition,for the most part these are comics that will fill a hole in your collection until something better comes along
Has this sentence escaped from the eBay ad you mentioned in your previous post, Brian? I only ask because it doesn't seem relevant to this one.